West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If we play 4-4-2 i don't think we've got the CMs for it currently. Tiote and Sissoko possibly have the athleticism and definitely have the strength for it but they don't have the passing ability. Cabaye i think would be exhausted trying to do everything. Perch hasn't the quality.

We also don't have wingers who can whip a cross in. So, for 4-4-2, the way we'd play it with Carroll, we'd need a couple of wingers and at least another CM - an all rounder.

This is one of the reasons I hope we don't buy Carroll. TBF Pardew hasn't really demonstrated a love for 4-4-2 that much.

It worked against Manu last season (at home) because they had Carrick and Giggs as their 2 CMs and they were easily out worked by Cabaye and Tiote.

Even then they had a good 1st 20 mins against us.

Sort of game I would like Carroll for but their backline was unduly bulled that game, they should have done better, and really one goal came from that route 1 stuff which required a superb conversion from Ba, which Carroll couldn't do, and another was a bit of a fluke once the game was basically over.

Don't get me wrong we bullied them that day and the 4-4-2 worked very well, but it wouldn't work against a proper midfield. I wouldn't mind Carroll to help with this as an option to use in games where the midfield won't smother us and the defence can be bullied, but my fear is Pardew sees this style of playing as the be all and end all.

Guest bimpy474

No reason Carroll, Cisse and Hatem couldn't switch during a game.

I've said this repeatedly, why not let them just roam between the three front positions. When we lose the ball whoever is closest defends that area.

Need a coach who preaches that kind of movement though.

There was a point where we were actually doing this under Pardew. It didn't last long like.

And if iiirc, it worked on our lovely little run last season. It is rather baffling why he just dropped it after the Wigan 4-0 defeat.

Guest bimpy474

Even in the 4-0 to Wigan we weren't that bad IIRC. Just one of them mad games.

The first half was like you say, just one of them games.

It's strange Pardew stopped using because of that half.

We battered them in the second half, hit the woodwork three times iirc.

Guest bimpy474

Aye i think we did, then again it was easier for them to sit back with such a lead. I just don't get ditching a system that won 6 games on the trot (iirc) because of one poor half. The best managers do switch for certain games but always use a certain formation as a default, then tweak as they see fit.

Aye i think we did, then again it was easier for them to sit back with such a lead. I just don't get ditching a system that won 6 games on the trot (iirc) because of one poor half. The best managers do switch for certain games but always use a certain formation as a default, then tweak as they see fit.

I honestly think he didn't understand the system. Didn't understand why it worked and didn't understand what went wrong when we lost playing it.

Guest bimpy474

I honestly think he didn't understand the system. Didn't understand why it worked and didn't understand what went wrong when we lost playing it.

You would think what you just said about a professional football manager would be nonsense, i mean in his job, knowing this stuff would or should be second nature. But the evidence with him on systems and tactics make your post so believable and  pretty accurate.

Amazingly he really does seem pretty clueless at times.

I accidentally clicked "absolutely not"  by mistake which isn't true as I would like him back under the right circumstances.

If he was cheap(wouldn't pay more than £10m), Other striker was brought in too (Aubameyang!!!!) and if he wasn't a guaranteed starter and was more of an alternative to Cisse.

After writing this I realise that the opposite to those would happen. He would probably be our entire summer budget, so the only new signing. He would start ahead of Cisse every time and encourage us to HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF :lol:

I wouldn't take any rumours of signing Carroll too seriously just yet. It's Pardew who's keen to get a big jumper up front, but if he's not sacked tomorrow, there must be a fair chance of him getting the heave midway through next season. Ashley will surely think twice before signing a striker that the next manager might not fancy much.

I It may be a bit stuck up of me, but I just don't want him back because of his dive, when we played Liverpool last season, also it will encourage hoof ball.

Reading between the lines of his post match interview on MOTD, he's staying at West Ham.

Judging by that very short MOTD interview I think it's fair to say he knows where he'll be playing next season, and it won't be West Ham.

:lol: :lol:

If Pardew is staying I think it's vital we sign Carroll.

Totally agree.

How do you suggest we do that? He's only interested in money. If we don't match his Liverpool wages, he ain't coming. All this "he loves the Toon" shite is embarrassing.