West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Don't think I've ever known a young NUFC player (or any NUFC player really) be the subject of so much hype.

He's perfect for the press/media in this country. Doing the business on the pitch, while making bad headlines off it.

During a perioid in which the national team are crying out for both youth and efficiency (goals) in the forward area.

Don't think I've ever known a young NUFC player (or any NUFC player really) be the subject of so much hype.

He's perfect for the press/media in this country. Doing the business on the pitch, while making bad headlines off it.

During a perioid in which the national team are crying out for both youth and efficiency (goals) in the forward area.

Aye, England needs him more than he needs England IMO.

He'll certainly bring something different to the team, Crouch can only dream of being as threatening in the air as Carroll is.

Guest Howaythetoon

Carroll is better than Crouch now imo.

Technically he isn't, nor positionally.

Crouch's technique is nowt special tbh.

Carroll is better in the air, has better strength and is probably faster. His finsihing is probably better anarl.

Would take wor Andy over Crouch every day of the week  :aww:

Sorry but Crouch's technique is better than Carroll's like, not miles better but better all the same. Carroll is a bit like Shola where technique is concerned, he either controls it instantly and cleanly or it bobbles off him. Carroll is better in the air at attacking the ball but in terms of using heading to direct the ball and bringing team-mates into play, Crouch is again better. Many a time Carroll just jumps and gets a head on it with little or no thought as to where to head the ball other than forwards. He is improving in that area, however. Finishing wise, Crouch is a better finisher and a scorer of different types of goals, often sublime and technically difficult finishes. If Carroll goes onto become as good as Crouch or reach that kind of level he will have done well for himself. While everyone goes wild about Carroll, remember Crouch is often regarded as an average Premier League striker and some even lament him. I seem to remember a year or so back the idea of signing him brought many a NO on here. Carroll has a long way to go and I'm not convinced he has enough in his game and the right kind of goalscoring prowess to ever become something more than what he is at the moment. Which by the way I'm not knocking because he is more than good enough for us as things stand.

Sorry but Crouch's technique is better than Carroll's like, not miles better but better all the same. Carroll is a bit like Shola where technique is concerned, he either controls it instantly and cleanly or it bobbles off him.

Right... except he isn't, as virtually every ball that comes to him at chest height sticks to him and gets laid off. I do not recall berating Carroll at any point this season or at the end of last for persistantly giving the ball away.

Carroll is better in the air at attacking the ball but in terms of using heading to direct the ball and bringing team-mates into play, Crouch is again better. Many a time Carroll just jumps and gets a head on it with little or no thought as to where to head the ball other than forwards. He is improving in that area, however.

I'd say firstly, Carroll doesn't have Rafael Van der Vaart on the end of his knockdowns, making things a lot simpler for him. However, as Carroll now has almost as many (i may be wrong, it may be as many / more) assists as he does goals, he's obviously pretty decent at bringing team mates into the game. As regards attacking the ball / heading on goal, it's pretty crucial if you have a massive centre forward his key asset is going to be headed goals, Carroll is streets ahead of Crouch in this respect.

Finishing wise, Crouch is a better finisher and a scorer of different types of goals, often sublime and technically difficult finishes.

What, you mean like cross body volleys from long high balls?

If Carroll goes onto become as good as Crouch or reach that kind of level he will have done well for himself. While everyone goes wild about Carroll, remember Crouch is often regarded as an average Premier League striker and some even lament him. I seem to remember a year or so back the idea of signing him brought many a NO on here. Carroll has a long way to go and I'm not convinced he has enough in his game and the right kind of goalscoring prowess to ever become something more than what he is at the moment. Which by the way I'm not knocking because he is more than good enough for us as things stand.

Crouch was a Villa reserve when he was 21. He had half a good season at QPR in the Championship when they were relegated then a decent season at Pompey, before he regressed massively for 2 years and had to fight his way back at Southampton. He has continued to yoyo throughout his career, flitting between being just too good and just not good enough for the teams he plays for. I won't argue that Carroll is only off the back of 12 months of ludicrous progress and none of us know how it is going to go for him, but to somehow deduce that he'd be lucky to be as good as Crouch who hasn't really progressed from the player he was at 21, when Carroll seems to have the raw attributes to be a far better player, seems a massive leap to make and based purely on your opinion as opposed to any evidence to the contrary. I'm also sure he's kept awake at night by the fact you aren't convinced by him as a player

I think Crouch is technically better on the floor but Carroll is streets ahead when it comes to physicality and aerial ability.

Crouch has decent skills and close control but he's weak as piss.  Sheare was never the most skillful or tricky but he was a vastly better striker than Crouch could ever hope to be.

I really think Crouch is underrated by a lot of people, he is very useful to Spurs and England IMO.

But Carroll has the attributes to surpass him, although he's smaller he's a better header of the ball and should turn out to be a better goalscorer. Carroll's mobility is also something he seems to be working on.

His touch is sometimes a bit suspect, but that seems to be improving as well.

No slight on Crouch, who I rate, but I would much rather have Carroll.

I really think Crouch is underrated by a lot of people, he is very useful to Spurs and England IMO.

But Carroll has the attributes to surpass him, although he's smaller he's a better header of the ball and should turn out to be a better goalscorer. Carroll's mobility is also something he seems to be working on.

His touch is sometimes a bit suspect, but that seems to be improving as well.

No slight on Crouch, who I rate, but I would much rather have Carroll.

I've always rated Crouch but I don't think he makes the most of his physical attributes. Carroll is a striker who plays to his strengths perfectly and I can only see him getting better and better

I couldn't disagree more. I think Crouch is overrated by alot of people.

He just seems very sloppy and inconsistent in his play, mainly due to his physique. For somebody who should be the perfect header of the ball, he just doesn't put the effort into it (in fact most of the work is done with his feet).

I think people underrate Carroll's ability on the floor - he's very good with his feet - I remember one incident in the Sunderland game when he went through about three of their defenders whilst running on goal, perfect example of what he can do. Yeah, his first touch isn't brilliant, but it's no worse than Crouch's.

I couldn't disagree more. I think Crouch is overrated by alot of people.

He just seems very sloppy and inconsistent in his play, mainly due to his physique. For somebody who should be the perfect header of the ball, he just doesn't put the effort into it (in fact most of the work is done with his feet).

I think people underrate Carroll's ability on the floor - he's very good with his feet - I remember one incident in the Sunderland game when he went through about three of their defenders whilst running on goal, perfect example of what he can do. Yeah, his first touch isn't brilliant, but it's no worse than Crouch's.

Agree with all of this.

On a similar note, Zigic seems to be the same (although I'm only going off yesterday and Stoke defenders are probably the wrong guage)

Guest schmuck

Peter Crouch is fantastic from the bench, the number of times I've seen him come on and change a game when it's fallen into a certain pattern is incredible, not just because he's tall but because he's got a very awkward frame, defenders (and referees) never know quite where they stand with him in terms of fouling or  getting fouled by him. But his unconventional style also makes it very hard to build a high quality team with him as the focal point because, while he is very competent in almost all areas he doesn't quite have the level of ability (his touch is fantastic yes, but he rarely makes good use of it in whatever he does next) or consistency to make his style something to depend on from game to game. I'd have him in the England squad every time from the bench, but Carroll is someone much better to hang your hat on and build your attacks towards

Guest firetotheworks

I'm still not getting on board with the Carroll hype yet. yes, he's improved so much, but you only have to look at Carlton Cole to realise that you shouldn't count your chickens.

It's not his fault there's nobody any better (or uninjured) at the moment.

Oh and in the vast majority of cases the opponents at international level are far worse than those at club level. I've always hated the term 'international class'.

It's not his fault there's nobody any better (or uninjured) at the moment.

Oh and in the vast majority of cases the opponents at international level are far worse than those at club level.

Indeed ... he gets a shot then good luck to the lad

Guest firetotheworks

Oh aye, well we all want the best for him, and I hope he steps up and does well. I'm just not believing the hype at all, and hopefully he wont either.

I hope Hughton and others around him are already warning him that as soon as he does something wrong the same silly bipolar lying cunts in the media will come crashing down on him like a ton of bricks.

Guest neesy111

I've went off Crouch, thought he was good until the last year when he's just become very complacent in my eyes.  Imagine how many goals Carroll could score with Gareth Bale on the LW.

You can tell Hughton is very aware of the need for him to keep his feet on the ground, he nearly always points out that he still has a lot to do to become a class striker when asked about him. Hope the hype doesnt go to his head too much and I dont think it will whilst under his wing.