West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Toon order FA: Don't play Carroll

By SHAUN CUSTIS

NEWCASTLE have told the FA they want Andy Carroll withdrawn from England's friendly against France at Wembley tonight.

The club sent an email expressing anger that the striker had been picked to make his debut despite the fact he suffered a groin injury at the weekend.

Newcastle do not believe Carroll, 21, is fit enough to play against the French and were already reckoning on him being out of this Saturday's Premier League clash at Bolton.

SunSport understands England boss Fabio Capello has informed Carroll of his club's view but the Toon striker is desperate to play.

Although Carroll missed training with England on Monday, he had a scan in the afternoon and was cleared to practise with the rest of the squad yesterday.

He got through the training session and Capello had no hesitation in naming the Toon hitman in his team.

Carroll, who has hit seven goals for Newcastle under Chris Hughton this season, told SunSport this week: "It's been my dream to play for England. I would be devastated if I had to pull out."

Sunderland midfielder Jordan Henderson, 20, will win his first cap and Arsenal's 21-year-old left-back Kieran Gibbs makes his first England start.

Capello's plan is to start with Carroll up front, supported by Steven Gerrard.

Theo Walcott will play on the right, James Milner on the left with Gareth Barry and Henderson in the centre. Jack Wilshere was due to be given a start tonight but the Arsenal star was sent home yesterday with a leg injury he sustained at Everton on Sunday.

Gibbs plays at left-back and skipper Rio Ferdinand in the centre but Capello also has a problem with Phil Jagielka who has flu.

The remaining spots in defence will be filled by two from Jagielka, Micah Richards and Joleon Lescott.

Source

Cannot blame any parties there.  The club has to protect its own assets.  The FA desperately need a powerful striker to lead the line and to prevent Carroll from changing his mind and play for Scotland.  Carroll has hoped for the debut for too long and he's willing to take the risk.

We can only pray for no further injuries then.

Guest Ridzuan

I honestly want to see Carroll playing for England tonight, and we all know how bad he wants to play for the country as well. But that being said, he has just recovered from a groin injury, nobody knows how serious it is, but given that he has been given the clearance to play for tonights match shows that it is not really bad. Still, I question the decision to include him because there is always the possibility that the injury might come back which could make him unavailable for our match against Bolton this weekend. That is the problem with our squad. We are relying too much on him at the moment. We need to get a proven and experienced goal scorer in January just in case Carroll is unavailable.

Disgrace if he plays.

It's a fucking friendly FFS, shouldn't even be a debate about it.

A good performance will almost undoubtedly land him a start in the next competitive match; something I can imagine Carroll is dying to be involved in. The club has already displayed its trepidation, but the question is will Carroll put the clubs best interests ahead of his international aspirations, or will he risk further injury trying to cash in on what he might see as a glorious opportunity to get himself into the England set-up?

You would hope he would exercise a bit of discretion and pull out until he's fully fit, but the prospect of leading the line for your country at 21 might be seen as too good an opportunity to pass up. FWIW I think he'll play, run himself into the ground and sideline himself for three matches afterward.

Guest Roger Kint

Not sure if Carroll will be happy with us trying to stop him from playing.

Still, England/FA can f*** off.

Carrolls feelings wont even come close to how pissed off/gutted we will all be if he breaks down because of this mind, we simply cant afford to lose him.