West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If I were a Liverpool fan, I'd be livid with this.

That they're leaving the transfer window far, far stronger than they were on Jan 1st?

Yeah, livid. Clueless.

Whereas we are leaving it far weaker - currently 3 players down an dour best player gone.  And virtually all of the lower half teams have strengthened.

It's Jan 09 all over again, but worse.

And some are actually defending Ashley. Laughable.

There's a big difference between defending someone, and not blaming them for something that isn't their fault.

You don't think we could have easily kept him? He wanted the money, man.

Then he showed what a mercenary c*** he is and it's better we've got rid after seeing his true colours.

Everyone of our players would rather play at Liverpool, shall we get rid of them too?

Well said.

Got to love the delusion of people thinking this money will be reinvested in the squad to a decent degree. I'll be stunned if we make any signing over £8m for the foreseeable future. A fee of £10m+ means big wages and then the rest of the squad want increases etc etc.

Not going to happen.

Yeah going on past trends is delusional.  Where as pulling opinions out of your arse is sound logic.

I am going on past trends. :lol:

Going on about how great the money is reminds me of people who were thrilled about the housing market going crazy five years ago "My house is worth three times what I paid for it!" Yeah, that's cos house prices have gone up, dickhead, unless you're planning on selling your house and not buying another one this doesn't really help you.  The fact is that we now need a striker in a market where a 22 year old who's had half a good season costs £35m, we're not the most attractive prospect and no-one's going to give us a deal because they know we've got money in the bank.

Spot on. The point a lot of people seem to be missing.

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

Don't really rate him that much tbh and absolutely ecstatic with the fee, i'm just furious at the tiny amount of time we now have to get a replacement.

Dont worry, Marlon Harewood is spotted at SJP.

Guest neesy111

That they're leaving the transfer window far, far stronger than they were on Jan 1st?

Yeah, livid. Clueless.

Whereas we are leaving it far weaker - currently 3 players down an dour best player gone.  And virtually all of the lower half teams have strengthened.

There's a big difference between defending someone, and not blaming them for something that isn't their fault.

Then he showed what a mercenary c*** he is and it's better we've got rid after seeing his true colours.

Everyone of our players would rather play at Liverpool, shall we get rid of them too?

They haven't put transfer requests in though.  Big difference.

Yeah, livid. Clueless.

He also rejected Liverpool's bid. If he wanted it that badly, he wouldn't have rejected it.

Nonsense. It's called getting the best deal.

Divint man. Next you will be telling them Santa is not real.

Yeah, livid. Clueless.

Well said.

Difference is that Liverpool haven't offered a crazy amount of money for the others.

Fuck this is shit man. :(

Yeah, livid. Clueless.

He also rejected Liverpool's bid. If he wanted it that badly, he wouldn't have rejected it.

And you'll be telling me the Queen drove a motorcycle into the side of Diana's car.

Yeah, livid. Clueless.

And you'll be telling me the Queen drove a motorcycle into the side of Diana's car.

No I wont.

do people think if carroll hadn't put in a transfer request that the transfer would never have happened?

seems obvious that the club were actively negotiating but not budging from a high valuation. carroll's just forced their hand after getting itchy feet about time running out, but you dont spend the entire day negotiating with a buying club if you have no intention of selling. the stuff the liverpool journo leaked about bid amounts suggests Ashley was trying to start something of an auction.

I think Carroll is like every other player and had a price that the club would have always accepted.  That doesn't change that it looks like we knocked Liverpool back until Carroll forced the issue.

Guest bluegeordie

Would anyone expect us to sign a young talent with only partially realised potential for 35 million quid? No? Then, as hard as it is to swallow, why should we expect to keep such a player, even if he is "homegrown" and supposedly "one of us"? This is business, not a boy's own annual.

Imo, it makes sense to take this sort of crazy money, and then to invest it in order to deepen the squad. I know it's not what big clubs do, but - news flash - we're NOT a big club ... at the moment. Providing we can maintain our PL status this season, and then invest the funds wisely over the summer, this sale can be used to consolidate a top 6 place in the PL in seasons to come, and from there the move to "big club" status can be plotted.

Is it not possible that from a bigger picture perspective, Andy Carroll might have done the best thing he could have done for NUFC - that is, to bolster our 2011-12 EPL war chest by 35 million quid (substantially more than we would have been likely to get for him in the summer)?     

I don't think Andy was considering leaving until his agent tells him this morning that NUFC look to be serious about weighing offers for him from Liverpool and Tottenham and that he may have to put in a transfer request in order to get the 2x-3x salary increase that he'd probably get.  

I firmly believe he was happy at our club and willing to stay, but when the club looked so eager to shop him around, I think he realized he had to do what was best for himself in an uncertain situation, and in order to guarantee his payday, was willing to submit the transfer request to make sure he got it.

Its incredible that this scenario, which is you're opinion not fact, leaves Carroll completely blameless.