West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Carroll's not worth 35m anyway. His game on the ground is still very average so unless liverpool plan on lumping it long he'll have to significantly improve to be able to contribute. If he does then he's a mega star, easily worth 50m. But he could easily drink his way out of fitness and end up as a massive flop. But anyway, he's not worth 35m today. Potentially, yes. But not today. Not even to us.

If the money is invested wisely, we'll be a much better team in a year.

I miss Shearer.

I miss Bobby.

I miss KK.

I miss Harvey.

Say what you like but these are the type of men i want associated with my football club. Those who love the club and do things for the right reasons.

Andy Carroll- you were an idol an icon and you've p***ed it all away to go to a club with no emotional connections. C***

Spot on mate, all 4 are/ were men of dignity. Alas, they are very few and far between in the game these days. Fan worshipo means fuck all to the likes of Carroll and Darren Bent.

Tiote and Enrique will be agitating for moves sooner rather than later. Today sends out a hugely negative message to our current playing staff that the club has very little ambition in chasing success.

Exactly. The circumstances don't even matter.

Behave, man. These kind of deals happen. Just look at Spurs and Berbatov. They weren't suddenly swamped with transfer requests from other players.

1931: Alan Shearer on Andy Carroll on BBC Five Live: "Off the field he has been in trouble once or twice before - that would be the major area of concern for me. I spoke to Kenny months ago before he even came to Liverpool about the potential of Carroll. Kenny got myself and Chris Sutton and myself and Mike Newell together at Blackburn and he probably sees Carroll and Suarez as a similar partnership - both can score goals. Andy Carroll is unplayable on his day. We might see Charlie Adam there and with Steven Gerrard and his tremendous right foot - if you get balls into box for those guys it will be a hell of a partnership."

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

I don't think Andy was considering leaving until his agent tells him this morning that NUFC look to be serious about weighing offers for him from Liverpool and Tottenham and that he may have to put in a transfer request in order to get the 2x-3x salary increase that he'd probably get. 

I firmly believe he was happy at our club and willing to stay, but when the club looked so eager to shop him around, I think he realized he had to do what was best for himself in an uncertain situation, and in order to guarantee his payday, was willing to submit the transfer request to make sure he got it.

still doesn't explain why he put in the request......except as you say his head got turned by the 2 or 3 times the pay.

You don't think that's enough, combined with the clear LFC expectations of contending and silverware?  Say what you will about LFC having a shitty year so far, I don't think they've had a bad start because they don't have serious ambition to win.  Something NUFC does not demonstrate with its actions.

1933: And here's Mark Lawrenson on Andy Carroll's move to Liverpool to boot: "I think £30-35m is a lot to pay for Andy Carroll seeing as he is a young and relatively unproven striker. He has been out injured for a while too so they will need to get clarification that has cleared up. But he is clearly going to be some player and is a real handful. He fits the criteria for signings by Liverpool's owners which is that players must be young and able to improve, and his potential partnership with Luis Suarez, who is on the brink of joining the Reds, is one that should offer a lot now and in the future too."

1931: Alan Shearer on Andy Carroll on BBC Five Live: "Off the field he has been in trouble once or twice before - that would be the major area of concern for me. I spoke to Kenny months ago before he even came to Liverpool about the potential of Carroll. Kenny got myself and Chris Sutton and myself and Mike Newell together at Blackburn and he probably sees Carroll and Suarez as a similar partnership - both can score goals. Andy Carroll is unplayable on his day. We might see Charlie Adam there and with Steven Gerrard and his tremendous right foot - if you get balls into box for those guys it will be a hell of a partnership."

1927: Right - my quick straw poll of how much you would pay for Andy Carroll suggests an average (that I have pretty much guesstimated because I don't have time to calculate an accurate mean from hundreds of texts) of around... £12m. Sounds fair to me. But this, it would appear, is very much a seller's market, people. I wonder what Newcastle legend Alan Shearer makes of it? Funnily enough...

Mr Cleaner on 606: "I'm sick of people saying Carroll isn't worth £35m. To Liverpool: No. To Newcastle: He's priceless."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9380667.stm

I don't understand why Carroll would be up for this. Maybe if he was on his way to Spurs I could understand it, but Liverpool are still a team in turmoil, he won't be a guaranteed first team choice at Liverpool, Unlikely to make Europe, selling off their best player, and as a Geordie he must hate Dalglish... it's the law.

Silly boy.

Let me ask you this: if he wanted to go, why hand in a transfer request today?

Why not hand it in ten days ago when he could have had the best clubs in the world lining up to buy him? Did he get his head turned by the money today? As if, man. Everyone knew how much more money he would have made if he left. His agent probably had a duty to tell him this. Yet he still came out and said he wanted to stay yesterday. Why do that if you have any intention of leaving?

He didnt want to leave.

Lfc agree a few with Ashley, Ashley tells Carroll. Carroll wanted to stay yesterday but how do you think he reacted to finding out the bid was accepted? What, you think he cries his eyes out and begged  to stay? Get fucked. He's a confident lad who is in supreme form and wanted by every big club in the world. He knows this. Do you think hes going to care that ashley thinks nufc will be better off with the 35m. He says fuck you, your loss and talks terms with Liverpool. Ashley knowing that he could kill the morale in the squad, insists that Carroll hand in a transfer request. Carroll knows hes getting his wages tripled so he's not bothered about the loyalty fee. At this point, he's as good as gone. Maybe he's concerned about burning his bridges in newcaslte, but a confident young sportsman doesn't fret about this shit. He thinks he's going to a better club, going to be paid more and will have a greater chance of getting glory. So he agrees, and the news comes out. 15 minutes later the terms have already been agreed and he's on his way to Liverpool.

That is the most ridiculous thing I have read yet.

He handed in a trasfer request because while he doesn't want to go, he's not bothered about a loyalty fee?

Why do it at all then, for shits and giggles? ;D

Guest neesy111

Carroll's not worth 35m anyway. His game on the ground is still very average so unless liverpool plan on lumping it long he'll have to significantly improve to be able to contribute. If he does then he's a mega star, easily worth 50m. But he could easily drink his way out of fitness and end up as a massive flop. But anyway, he's not worth 35m today. Potentially, yes. But not today. Not even to us.

If the money is invested wisely, we'll be a much better team in a year.

That is the flaw in the whole plan.  Investing it wisely.

Let me ask you this: if he wanted to go, why hand in a transfer request today?

Maybe because like 90% of us he thought Ashley would take the first big offer we got for him so wouldn't have to, and when it got to 5pm and we were still rejecting offers he got twitchy and asked to leave.

Thoughts then Api?

Op Nut, if he really wanted to leave he would not be making any ridiculous assumptions about what Ashley may or may not accept. His agent would be a complete idiot if he allowed that to happen.

Neesy, you haven't answered the q: why did he not hand in a transfer request earlier in the window if he really wanted to leave? Why hand it in now? And the money shit doesn't fly because everyone knew he would get more money yet he came out yesterday an said he wanted to stay.

Guest johnnyappleseed

Andy Carroll: £35m

Torres: £50m

Arsenal's first XI: Szczesny, Sagna, Djourou, Vermaelen, Clichy, Fabregas, Song, Wilshere, Walcott, Nasri, van Persie: £44.25m

invest that Liverpool money wisely and something good can come from it.

How irritating that he's making comments about Liverpool and not us. (Or maybe being forced by who ever is interviewing him.)

Love ya Al, but I couldn't give a shit about Liverpool.  :no:

This is how it went.

MA It's a lot fahkin money Dekks.

Dekka Yeah, take it Guv

MA What about the mongs outside?

Carroll I'll put in a request...

MA Eh? What?

Dekka Err he means we'll come aht smelling of roses boss...

MA At right.

Carroll Keep me bonus tho aye..

MA (*Already on phone to Doglesh)..

I don't think Andy was considering leaving until his agent tells him this morning that NUFC look to be serious about weighing offers for him from Liverpool and Tottenham and that he may have to put in a transfer request in order to get the 2x-3x salary increase that he'd probably get. 

I firmly believe he was happy at our club and willing to stay, but when the club looked so eager to shop him around, I think he realized he had to do what was best for himself in an uncertain situation, and in order to guarantee his payday, was willing to submit the transfer request to make sure he got it.

Its incredible that this scenario, which is you're opinion not fact, leaves Carroll completely blameless.

Correct, it is my opinion.  It's speculation on a situation that simply cannot be credibly taken at face value. 

For Andy, I believe that money talks and in the end, once he sees that he has a chance to win trophies at 3x the pay, he's going to do it.  When he sees the club willing to sell him, it reiterates that the club aren't serious about winning or spending.  Makes the decision to put in the transfer request much easier.

For me, the blame is primarily on Ashley, less on Carroll.  He has no intention on getting us to European football, which should be his goal.  The business model he believes in of being a shoestring club that develops young/low-wage players and selling them off may be good for his bottom-line, but for any fans who are serious about competing for Europe and building a club that aims for winning shiny silver things that go in nice glass cabinets, you should be aware very much by now that Michael Ashley does not share your ambition.

How the f*** is Carroll blameless.  He got a new f***ing contract in November.  Shearer could have joined Man Utd at various times when he was at NUFC to be the richest footballer on the planet and didn't.

Thats the difference Shearer was loyal and Carroll isnt even after his lies to the Chronicle today he still went and i dont understand the transfer request why and what does he gain from it ,the transfer request will anger us for along time if it isnt explained .

Andy Carroll: £35m

Torres: £50m

Arsenal's first XI: Szczesny, Sagna, Djourou, Vermaelen, Clichy, Fabregas, Song, Wilshere, Walcott, Nasri, van Persie: £44.25m

invest that Liverpool money wisely and something good can come from it.

Yep, all we need is Wenger.