West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He thought the Rooney'esque transfer request would make the club do a man ure and give him his extra dosh, it back fired he has had to leave now he is gutted.

Tough shit kidda, you shot yourself in the foot.

Exactly, when a 20-year-old kid comes to someone like Mike Ashley and asks for a big pay rise a few weeks after they've just had one, they're quite rightly told to fuck off.

We all know that in jobs you sometimes use other job offers to get a payrise off your current employer. But you have to be prepared to leave if they say no.

Guest neesy111

I've said it before and i'll say it again... i would have sold him for 36m... but i'd be putting it back into the first team.

If we could trust the board, I would have done the same tbh.

Guest johnson293

Or this:

Looking at all sides of the story, the most plausible argument so far is that we rejected Liverpool's bid, Carroll said he wanted a higher wage, we said no, he took this as 'not wanting him' so he asks to leave, we say only if you hand in a transfer request, he says ok, signs, sealed and delivered.

Yep, that's the answer IMO.

I agree with that too.

You're missing the point, I'm asking why Carroll would have submitted a transfer request if he didn't want to go.

Because it was made clear that he wasn't as much wanted as the £35M.

don't forget the extra £50k per week aswell.

Guest neesy111

You're missing the point, I'm asking why Carroll would have submitted a transfer request if he didn't want to go.

He made it clear, he would only stay if the club gave him a new contract.

But you don't need to submit a transfer request to be sold, you just need to agree to leave.

(I won't post this again, sorry, I know it's going round in circles)

Striker Andy Carroll says Newcastle asked him to hand in a transfer request before his £35m move to Liverpool.

The 22-year-old, who signed a new deal in October, claims he was in talks over an improved contract when it became clear that he was no longer wanted.

It's all good saying Carroll pushed from a deal, handed in a transfer request etc, but why wasn't he challenged by the club. Why didn't they try and get him to stay?

If we are to offer new contracts every 2 months to players, then every player in the squad will want the same.

Carroll was probably a "special" case, but you're right it would have set a real bad precedent and caused a lot of problems down the line.

But you don't need to submit a transfer request to be sold, you just need to agree to leave.

The transfer request thing...I think it's a case of Ashley etc trying to run things "by the book."

"I'll leave if I don't get a new contract!"

"Can we have that in writing?"

There's two reason's why the club may have wanted him to formally hand in a written request though.

1. For any outstanding loyalty bonus to be void (which could be significant).

2. As a PR exercise (to avoid a backlash).

Carroll said: “I was in talks about a new contract and talking to the gaffer about that."

OK, end of story. Really. That's it.

he has backed up what Pards said... because if you are in talks about a proper new deal its not with your manager its with your Chairman.

so Carroll pretty much admits he was after more money.  OK thats not cool, but its also clear the club aren't prepared to stump up to keep better players at the club.  Don't expect much progress from now on.  Both are to blame.

it means to me that they aren't prepared for players to take the piss. if carroll wanted the new contract at the end of the season after having a good season then he may have had a point...not 3 month after agreeing a contract just because someone has bid for him and that is the crux here, he wouldn't have been wanting a new contract if liverpool hadn't bid and offered huge wages. pure greed.

Guest neesy111

Striker Andy Carroll says Newcastle asked him to hand in a transfer request before his £35m move to Liverpool.

The 22-year-old, who signed a new deal in October, claims he was in talks over an improved contract when it became clear that he was no longer wanted.

No you are twisting the words for your own benefit, the club said they would not offer him a new one because they had given him one just 2 months earlier.  He and his agent took this as a sign the club didn't want him and hence the transfer request.

so Carroll pretty much admits he was after more money.  OK thats not cool, but its also clear the club aren't prepared to stump up to keep better players at the club.  Don't expect much progress from now on.  Both are to blame.

They did stump up a few months ago with a contract he was more than happy with

I also have no doubt now that Carroll was forced by the club into submitting a transfer request. But, after he said he wanted to leave.

how forced ? he was told if you want to leave submit a request, pretty normal wouldn't you think.