West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

As I said, effectiveness over ability.

or referring to my point about people saying he's better than reina etc bullshit over honesty.

Nah, it's just common sense realy :lol:

Reina has been one of the best players in his possission for years, Carroll has been for months. Judging by your theory no-one could possibly even suggest that Messi is a better footballer than James Perch.

no. its that it's fucking stupid to say i'd rather have gordon banks than pele.

But I would rather have Messi in my side than Perch. And so would you... I think there's generally enough common grammar between football people to get the idea that one player in one position can contribute more than another in another. Obviously if you're dealing with specifics then more differences emerge...

Reina is one of the best goalkeepers in the world, whilst Carroll is a very promising young striker. It has to be Reina.

For me, Andy Carroll is better at improving the players around him than Reina, that's one of the differences - force multiplication.

Take people's point about the lack of games to demonstrate that, but as Ronaldo says, you take the evidence you're given and make a call - would be dithering forever over things like Messi versus Perch otherwise. We've never seen Messi play for us after all, he might be even worse for us... Just like how some people will be wanting to 'see what Ashley does' in the January 2012 window even if we make a profit in this coming Summer.

I was surprisingly quite excited when he came on for Liverpool, I was keen to see how he did. Despite the fact that intellectually I absolutely hate the guy now... weird.

Yes you are. There's nothing intellectual about hating someone for taking a better paid job with improved prospects, especially when their current employer encourages them to do so.

I just don't think that Carroll's mobile enough (yet) to play at the very top level. You could see how slow he was in receiving the ball and laying it off on Saturday, and those basic things aren't really affected by a lack of fitness. It's just a basic technical thing that Carroll's not good enough at (yet). I will give Carroll a lot of credit for how much he's improved in the past year, so he's shown that he can develop skills which he never had. I suppose that's what Liverpool is hoping will continue.

It's an aspect of his game that can improve, but his physique is working against him here. He's not going to be a particularly nimble, mobile striker that's going to be great at dropping deep and linking up with intricate passing movements or moving out wide. He can hold the ball up, but that's not quite the same thing. He's very good at what he does well, but he's not that versatile.

It's interesting that the current top four didn't seem to come in for him.

Guest Antec

I was surprisingly quite excited when he came on for Liverpool, I was keen to see how he did. Despite the fact that intellectually I absolutely hate the guy now... weird.

Yes you are. There's nothing intellectual about hating someone for taking a better paid job with improved prospects, especially when their current employer encourages them to do so.

Spot on, I'm still staggered that people still hate him for leaving a shambles of a club to join one with genuine ambition. I'd have done exactly the same. I suspect those people will explode when he scores against us, probably after giving Colloccini a torrid time

Guest Antec

I'd have taylor in defence for the liverpool game, with the aim to wind carroll up that much he gets himself sent off. I'd not even fine taylor if it was a double sending off

Worth a try although he's usually quite calm on the pitch. Might be worth convincing him he's in a nightclub

I hate being a sissy but I'm now genuinely worried about how long we'll be able to keep him. It seems that every hyped young english player starting out at smaller premiership teams in the past five years has without exception been poached by bigger clubs.

Ex) young, downing, bentley, johnson

If someone wants to offer £35m for him the fair enough, its something we can't turn down but he's just signed a 5 years deal, he's going nowhere unless the offer is gigantic.

Just did a random click on any page and landed on this post. Fuck me, TT is mistic meg. :lol:

:(

Ashley is reading my posts...

Release Smith!!!!

Football is in no way comparable to other jobs in this situation, IMO.

Surely there's more to life than money and instant success as well?  We could all give up on Newcastle and support Man U but don't, Carroll could have stayed a couple more years to see what happened.  Fair enough, Carroll may not be a fan of the club in the same way but then he shouldn't patronise the fans saying he supports the club and wants to stay for life.

I'd have taylor in defence for the liverpool game, with the aim to wind carroll up that much he gets himself sent off. I'd not even fine taylor if it was a double sending off

Taylor was given that exact job against Bellamy at Ewood in Sep 2005. Guess which one of them ended up getting sent off.

The lad's a thick as mince, he couldn't get a rabid dog sent off.

Against WBA, Liverpool, City, Spurs and Everton he frequently resembled a double-decker bus trying to reverse away from a speeding Maserati.

The last time he appeared in this league he looked almost as abysmal. There are no excuses left.

Guest firetotheworks

The bit that had be disgusted was when Arteta was on the break and the ran PAST him just to back off and then get done by him. Contrast that with 2 minutes later and Coloccini snapping at Osman's heels while he was on the break and knocking it out for a throw-in.

Taylor was given that exact job against Bellamy at Ewood in Sep 2005. Guess which one of them ended up getting sent off.

The lad's a thick as mince, he couldn't get a rabid dog sent off.

:lol: