West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Recoba

Beardsley was a great player, but not a great man.

His dad was still working as a truck driver for ramage after Beardsleys testimonial. The testimonial he kept all the proceeds from after having it written into his contract despite not playing for the club for ten years.

By all accounts as tight as a badgers arse.

Playing devil's advocate a bit here, but Beardsley never enjoyed the kind of wages that footballer's get in recent years. Am nearly sure John Anderson and Kenny Wharton did the same, when they had their testimonials and they were both great servants to NUFC as well (went to both of theirs)

In fairness to Pardew, he can't say he wouldn't be interested in taking on Carroll because that would be portrayed in the media as a put-down for the player. All he can do is duck the question.

Rodgers has handled the situation badly. There was no point in saying anything other than he admired the player and he was looking forward to working with him. What goes on behind the scenes is a different matter.

It makes fuck all sense on a financial and even playing basis, just to throw him out before Rogers has even given him a chance (or he's even back in training possibly) is bloody madness and theres no way they'll recoup even half of what they paid.

However it does indicate the yanks aren't giving Rogers anywhere near the same amount of cash and if he wants to spend he needs to sell a few and obviously hoping a reasonable Euro's might bump up his value a bit to get him more cash to spend

Guest Mucky01

His dad was still working as a truck driver for ramage after Beardsleys testimonial. The testimonial he kept all the proceeds from after having it written into his contract despite not playing for the club for ten years.

strange view that, as I know for a fact that when Beardsley was a player here he use to make regular donations to a local charity of sums that weren’t to be sniffed at. He never wanted any publicity out of it, quite the opposite in fact!

anyway, football’s a short career for most and the Sky money hasn’t always been around.

In fairness to Pardew, he can't say he wouldn't be interested in taking on Carroll because that would be portrayed in the media as a put-down for the player. All he can do is duck the question.

Rodgers has handled the situation badly. There was no point in saying anything other than he admired the player and he was looking forward to working with him. What goes on behind the scenes is a different matter.

I dunno, seems more like we would be open to taking him back. Hardly a put down to rule it out imo, we bought Ba and Cisse who are our main strikers, if we are playing the put down game not deny interest puts as much of a question mark on Ba and Cisse than ruling it out.

Who cares about the media spin on Carrols feelings? He isn't our player anymore.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

strange view that, as I know for a fact that when Beardsley was a player here he use to make regular donations to a local charity of sums that weren’t to be sniffed at. He never wanted any publicity out of it, quite the opposite in fact!

anyway, football’s a short career for most and the Sky money hasn’t always been around.

Tax. Tax. Tax.

Guest Howaythetoon

There is more to Carroll than on the pitch matters for LFC, it is his off pitch lifestyle that concerns them and it is well known that he doesn't lead the kind of lifestyle an athlete should. If he could sing and play guitar he'd make a great rock star, he is a professional footballer though has to be the consumate athlete which he is not and never will be unless he ditches the drink, late nights, unhealthy food and tabs... alegedley.

Guest antz1uk

I don't want him back at all but it would be great if we bought him for £10m, built up his reputation again then sold him on for a profit, Liverpool would be fuming and I'd be ecstatic :)

Tax. Tax. Tax.

The time and effort Beardsley puts into local charities is NOT tax deductible.

All depends on the system Pardew wants to play. If he wants to ply with 2 strikers, then Carroll might be worth a punt but he won't fit into our system otherwise.

I'd probably wait until the last minute to strike deal, perhaps to take him back on loan.

Today's independent claim we could get him back for £10m (sorry, can't link on my phone).

The thing is, from a Liverpool perspective, if they loan him out for a year he's one year closer to contract expiry, they would have had to subsidise his £90k per week wage wherever he goes and they'll know they aren't going to get anywhere near what they paid for him when they do sell him in a million years.

On that basis, I could see them being quite prepared to cut their losses and get rid.

For £10m, he's valued about right imho, young, English forward with potential to play at the top level for years but in many respects he's still a gamble. He's a daft lad off the pitch, he's potentially going to have fitness issues, his inclusion is going to make your team play in one way and he's very unproven.

I think he becomes very viable for many teams if he's for sale at that sort of price. There's absolutely no doubt West Ham, Stoke and Sunderland would all find that money for him in a heartbeat.

For NUFC, which is all that matters, I just can't see how he can fit back into our first 11 now. He'd have to play through the middle which would mean one of Cisse/Ba alongside (or either side) of him and that's not playing to their strengths.

Is he a better player than either of those?

Does he bring more to the overall first team than either of those?

No for both imho.

Guest SweMatt

Today's independent claim we could get him back for £10m (sorry, can't link on my phone).

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/west-ham-admit-interest-in-35m-liverpool-striker-andy-carroll-7936008.html

No fees in that article though.

That's yesterdays.

Aye. Being the usual numptie I posted the wrong link.  :)

This is it:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/pardew-no-sign-ba-wants-to-quit-newcastle-7936379.html

Was just thinking about his career has gone since he left...

In 2010, on top of the world, Geordie number 9, Capello says he's one of the most promising strikers in Europe.

Then the move: All NUFC fans hates him, season goes to shit and only plays six games after his move. Starts the next season on relatively shit form and can't score for the love of his life, slated by all Liverpool fans as well. Dropped from England, his manager loses faith in him, then goes back up to Newcastle and dives, gets substituted, laughed at and falls out with Kenny. Then re-discoveres some sort of form (has 2-3 good games), gets picked for the Euro's, does alright, comes back and they want to LOAN him to fucking West Ham.

I bet he regrets the move every day.