West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

As long as we buy a fullback, a centreback and some more cover in midfield I'm not really bothered if we pay 10m or 15m for him. A lot of peoe on here are saying that our style has moved on since we sold Carroll but I saw an awful lot of direct long ball stuff from us last season, it was largely unsuccessful though as we didn't have a decent target to hit - Carroll would give us that option. I agree we should be looking to play more passing football and Cisse and Ba would be my first choice pairing but we have to allow for playing different tactics against different teams and in different situations.

Guest firetotheworks

He's Andy Carroll, not Andre Carrole'. Of course £15m is correct. We live in a country where Jordan Henderson was sold for £20 million.

He's Andy Carroll, not Andre Carrole'. Of course £15m is correct. We live in a country where Jordan Henderson was sold for £20 million.

I don't think you can use KKKenny's transfer dealings at Liverpool as a yardstick for anything other than rank stupidity.

My heart is ruling my head on this one. The rose tinted glasses of mine is thinking what of Carroll comes back and hits form again. We will have a formidable front line. However my head tells me he's only ever don it in the Prem for 6 months and has been garage most of the time for Liverpool, he is a bit of a trouble maker. In a sense totally opposite to our current (successful) transfer policy.

I can't see Dekka's or Ashley being overly enthusiastic about the deal which may mean Pardew really wants him

Back. Or this could be one big ego trip for Fat Mike. "Look at me look at me, sell Carroll for £35 million make £20 profit when I re-buy him" ?????

Guest firetotheworks

James Milner for £12 million....then £25 million. Kieron Dyer for £8 million. Gareth Barry for whatever ridiculous money both Liverpool and Man City wanted to pay. Alan Smith for £6 million. I could go on.....and will....Torres for £50 million, Carroll himself went for £35 million man. I know that was inflated, but it was inflated by about £15 million at the time, and about £20 million since.

What else could we get for £15m right now that would be better than Carroll?

Well we got the two strikers we've got for less than that.

Honestly, £15 million is absolutely mental considering the way we've been scrimping and saving for players. I don't believe for one second paying that for him that we'll still have loads left over for other positions either.

It's about the going rate for English players, doesn't mean to say that we should pay it.

After taking some time to think about this I think I'd be ok with a loan > option to buy (100% our decision). The fee should be somewhere between 9m and 13m depending on how he does.

Still a bit uncomfortable at the thought of him coming back and I worry about how we're going to play, but there's definitely a player in there.

After taking some time to think, I still don't want the big stupid Avatar lookalike fuck coming back - for 15mil i'm fairly sure we could get a better player in Europe or why not go and get Zaha as a youngster behind Ba and Cisse

But are we sure we're getting him on loan first? This sounds like we're doing it upfront to me.

I mean, if it is up front, say £15m , people will say it is too much, but come 12 months time he may have proved he is worth it. Its a risk, like every other transfer.

The opinion split is probably based on our perceptions. When comparing it with the £35m, it looks great because we've made Liverpool look stupid. On the other hand, its at least £10m and massive wages on a 3rd choice striker that contradicts our new playing style. Unfortunately, both points are valid.

As funny as it'll be to humiliate Liverpool, I think we can easily find a better and cheaper 3rd choice striker. One that fits the blueprint. We know Carroll will be back one day but I dont think it should be this one.

Pardew loves 4-4-2 man, I would be astonished if we play more than half of our games next season in any other formation.

I'm scared of this. It's why I think we're going after AC, hence why I'm so vehemently against it.

In that case the problem's Pardew though surely? Not Carroll.

Aye, I wasn't totally sold on Luuk De Jong either, but descriptions of him gave a feeling of class/deft touch, which wouldn't have been the end of the world.

exactly the same for me. we've bid for two tall strikers who play down the middle so it's a sign of how Pardew wants to line-up, or at the least what sort of players he wants in the mix competing for two spots in a 4-4-2. can't see us keeping 3 strikers who want to play down the middle happy with just the one central forward spot you have in a 4-3-3. de jong's fee and carroll's wages represent a huge investment too which suggests this type of signing is our main priority...but im not sure why.

Guest firetotheworks

People are seriously, seriously forgetting that he's English, like. People like Carlton Cole and Peter Crouch were valued at 10million at one point man. The bubble hasn't burst yet.

Loan yes, but for 15m he can stay there, 7m maybe.

Hopefully we can get the following

Debuchy 7m

Douglas 6m

Striker 7-8m

Right Back cover 1-2m

Holding Mid cover 2-3m

We'll probably only get 2-3 out of that list.

Marc walton ‏@Marcwalton10

Andy Carroll has agreed to wear his old 24 squad number . Av just been to see him at the jesmond dene hotel with his cousin @Chutchinson7

The one that Tiote wears? :lol: