West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Having said that, I'm still not sure where he fits into our starting XI. :laugh:

I agree with this when it comes to that 4-3-3 formation, but we won't always be able to stick to that and having Carroll can see us go back to 4-4-2 if others are injured/suspended. Cisse and BA won't be available all season and with ACN and Europe we need to be able to play a few types of formations and first XI's which Carroll can give us a good option for. The strange thing is that my first XI and formation preference would be with Carroll on the bench if we got him, which I suppose leads me to think it's a waste of money to spend nearly £20m on a player to be not first choice if everyone is fit.

And I can't believe Ashley would sanction that. My biggest worry about all this is how much input Pardew has. It's all well and good saying that the more good players the better, but you have to be realistic about who's going to be playing almost every week.

I think that's the entire point around we have been linked with big money moves for a striker.

I don't think there's going to be a set eleven going forward with lots of rotation, it would explain why we want a quality striker and not just a mere back up so when we do decide to rotate the squad the drop off in quality is very small if not at all.

It explains our train of thought in the CB chase too, we want someone of similar quality to S.Taylor so we can rotate and we don't lose much quality if at all.

In the long run it wouldn't surprise me to see us have a CB, CM and CF with a lot of quality but wont be guaranteed a starting place. As most club's around us do.

A great deal on Carroll would be under his actual worth, and there is NO WAY Liverpool will sell him for £8m. They paid so far over the top for him its going to be impossible not to pay over the odds to them to get him back.

So lets forget about him and look at other options, getting one over on Liverpool is not a good enough reason to resign him.

My point (albeit an appalling one  :lol:) is that just because something has been done before (the purchase of cisse et al) does not necessarily mean that the trick can be repeated so easily. If there are options that are as good, but cheaper I'll trust our network to go for them.  The fact that they appear to be after Carroll indicates that they think he is the is the best option at present.  I'll cede to their opinion if that is ok as you, as you are so keen to stress, are not scouts.  In isolation 15m for Carroll looks a decent deal to me.  Hope that is a mature enough justification for my view.

This is it. If there are so many better, cheaper alternatives available then why wouldn't we go for them instead? Are people seriously suggesting that we've suddenly decided to throw away all our principles and blow a load of money (that might mean we can't do business in other positions) on someone who we aren't sure is good enough? :lol:

If we're saying 'trust the scouts/board' then why not trust them on this?

People expecting NUFC to carry on with their brilliant dealings in the transfer market. Says a lot that getting £20m for a two-year loan doesn't measure up.

Its not even a 2 year loan! Its an 18 month loan with 4 months rehab thrown in!

Having said that, I'm still not sure where he fits into our starting XI. :laugh:

I agree with this when it comes to that 4-3-3 formation, but we won't always be able to stick to that and having Carroll can see us go back to 4-4-2 if others are injured/suspended. Cisse and BA won't be available all season and with ACN and Europe we need to be able to play a few types of formations and first XI's which Carroll can give us a good option for. The strange thing is that my first XI and formation preference would be with Carroll on the bench if we got him, which I suppose leads me to think it's a waste of money to spend nearly £20m on a player to be not first choice if everyone is fit.

And I can't believe Ashley would sanction that. My biggest worry about all this is how much input Pardew has. It's all well and good saying that the more good players the better, but you have to be realistic about who's going to be playing almost every week.

I think that's the entire point around we have been linked with big money moves for a striker.

I don't think there's going to be a set eleven going forward with lots of rotation, it would explain why we want a quality striker and not just a mere back up so when we do decide to rotate the squad the drop off in quality is very small if not at all.

It explains our train of thought in the CB chase too, we want someone of similar quality to S.Taylor so we can rotate and we don't lose much quality if at all.

In the long run it wouldn't surprise me to see us have a CB, CM and CF with a lot of quality but wont be guaranteed a starting place. As most club's around us do.

How many successful teams voluntarily rotate their key players in key positions?

How many successful teams voluntarily rotate their key players in key positions?

True, but look at the clubs around us and their bench and the quality that is on said bench. Using just one example Man Utd has Hernandez, Berbatov, Young/Nani etc etc on the bench.

Another example for a team we finished closer to last season in Arsenal, they have RVP, Giroud, Podolski, Walcott, Oxlade and Gervinho for 3 positions.

Obviously a slow progress but if we are to compete for CL places in the long term then there has to be more quality on the bench as the difference between our bench and the teams we are contending with is massive.

I don't see why the scouts are involved at all. Ashley can see a good deal (in his eyes) and Pardew has clearly given the go ahead to it. It's probably no more complicated that that.

Given the amount of value Ashleys placed on scouting & developing that side of us previously specifically because he doesnt want to waste money on overvalued players. You dont think he'd have done anything beyond personally deciding Carrolls mint & hes fine with spending 15mill?

Id imagine both Carr & Pards would be questioned about the value of the transfer personally.

Guest bimpy474

I'm joking. I'm just surprised no one has requested it yet.

Dont worry the internet police squad will be along soon......it'll be like one big joy vacuum.

All of them at some point. It's impossible to compete in the league, cups and Europe as well if you don't. Look at how Arsenal have blown up in recent seasons because they didn't have any depth in their squad, so their team was shagged out.

Goal.com and some other sites reporting that we'll offer £18m to get him.

I'd not believe that ever if it wasn't Carroll, I do think we're willing to pay way over our normal structure for him though. I think Ashley really wants him back to make some sort of statement.

Stupid if true, which it probably isn't.

I'd like Carroll back here but I think the reported fees are too high.  However, this seems as if it is being driven by Ashley and Llambias and they seem to really want him at the club (unless they are playing games which is always possible).  Ultimately though if we do get him, I am not concerned about the price because I don't believe Ashley will be risking the club financially although the concern is whether it will mean they will decide not to strengthen other areas of the team.

Guest Archie

a duo of carroll and Cisse smells of goals if you ask me.

With all the knockdowns from andy and cisse being at the right place at the right time, I think they could be lethal.

I for one will welcome him home. Im a fan not an accountant, more bodies through the door  O0