West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I suppose fair point. Maybe being a bit stubborn about it, he'd probably help but I don't think he's worth £12m and it frustrates me that we'd throw money to bring big andy back and not to get Debuchy. We do need a striker tho, would prefer a more flexible one

If we ignore Debuchy or any attacking fullback we can get for that matter as Simpson needs upgrading to get him then i agree but if we can get a fullback and Carroll then no complaints from me.

Guest bimpy474

I'm just wondering whether the £12m is worth it because it allows LFC to buy Johnson.

If we get Carroll, Liverpool spunk the whole lot on Johnson, and Sunderland sign Steve Guppy as their new left-winger it would be sensational.

Sunderland will sign Downing if Liverpool get Johnson, that would be a complete circle of madness.

Guest fraser

I'm just wondering whether the £12m is worth it because it allows LFC to buy Johnson.

If we get Carroll, Liverpool spunk the whole lot on Johnson, and Sunderland sign Steve Guppy as their new left-winger it would be sensational.

Sunderland will sign Downing if Liverpool get Johnson, that would be a complete circle of madness.

Nirvana.

I really fear he would be no better for us than for liverpool. Yes the motivation would be there but he's not going to get the service.

When he has a few collisions with centre backs early on he invariably has a good game (from the times I've watched him).

I reckon its when he has to fanny on in midfield trying to be like Ibrahimovic that he tends to struggle. He can do a bit of that but its far from a strength in his game.

One of the only criticisms I would level at a Ba / Cisse pairing is that they can occasionally get bullied by centre backs when the ball is played up from the back - it nullified them in the derby. Carroll solves that right away.

Watching Everton take apart a far more expensive Man United team last night by playing directly reminded me of the way we beat them 3-0 in January. Maybe it is worth having that in your locker as a Plan B, and there are few better players for it than Carroll.

Also, having Carroll to hit diagonals to is probably a wet dream for Mike Williamson.

We do need a striker and he definitely could be an asset for us, but there is a balance to be struck in terms of style of play. I think last season's best manager has a far better chance of finding that balance than last season's worst. I also think 12m is probably a decent valuation for him

Guest bimpy474

I hope Downing doesn't go there, think he'd do a good job.

I think he is completely overated, doesn't do enough at all for me. Let them have him and he can do his 1 classy game in 5 for them.

Because he is so totally different in style to Ba or Cisse, I would have thought he would be great to bring on change the focus of attack. As said by a few others he can bully centre halves and create big holes in a defence. On top of that there is always the satisfaction of knowing that Liverpool paid £13 million for a season loan

I really fear he would be no better for us than for liverpool. Yes the motivation would be there but he's not going to get the service.

When he has a few collisions with centre backs early on he invariably has a good game (from the times I've watched him).

I reckon its when he has to fanny on in midfield trying to be like Ibrahimovic that he tends to struggle. He can do a bit of that but its far from a strength in his game.

One of the only criticisms I would level at a Ba / Cisse pairing is that they can occasionally get bullied by centre backs when the ball is played up from the back - it nullified them in the derby. Carroll solves that right away.

Watching Everton take apart a far more expensive Man United team last night by playing directly reminded me of the way we beat them 3-0 in January. Maybe it is worth having that in your locker as a Plan B, and there are few better players for it than Carroll.

Also, having Carroll to hit diagonals to is probably a wet dream for Mike Williamson.

We do need a striker and he definitely could be an asset for us, but there is a balance to be struck in terms of style of play. I think last season's best manager has a far better chance of finding that balance than last season's worst. I also think 12m is probably a decent valuation for him

O0

Because he is so totally different in style to Ba or Cisse, I would have thought he would be great to bring on change the focus of attack. As said by a few others he can bully centre halves and create big holes in a defence. On top of that there is always the satisfaction of knowing that Liverpool paid £13 million for a season loan

Try £23m for a season loan.

Despite being a  bit of a twunt he would be a good replacement for Best.

Think we could get better for the money but we don't seem to be targeting anyone else now so I would 'settle' right now.

£12m for Carroll, £15m for Fletcher.  :lol:

Fletcher who scored more goals than Carroll, for the team that finished rock bottom.

:dontknow:

Fletcher who has never performed to a level that Carroll has proven he can perform at. I thought Carroll was over-rated when he was with us, I even said so at the time, but there's no way Fletcher can put in the same dominant performances Carroll did when was here.

Try £23m for a season loan.

oops :blush:

Stats aren't everything, but I saw a blog in February or so that reckoned most of Downing's Opta numbers, especially the crossing ones, were almost identical for Villa and Liverpool. It suggested the difference was Darren Bent's finishing versus Suarez's. I don't think he's an England player or anything, but I think he's a bit better than Liverpool have made him look. The "no assists" thing makes it sound like its all his fault.

The way Liverpool have played him and the pressure of the fee have clearly messed up Carroll, moreso than Downing I think.