West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The reason I don't want Carroll back is because I don't want us to resort to that type of football.

Having the option that Carroll presents, or potentially presents, was a huge factor in our top 2 finishes under Keegan/Daglish and our best seasons under Bobby. No good striving for this carpet football notion when neither the manager nor the players can fulfill it.

Quite funny seeing so many who've had the knives out for Coloccini for ages because he wants away, despite his loyalty and good service, whilst still pining for Carroll, a snake who stabbed us in the back and would happily have seen us get relegated as long as he got his big payday.

Like fucking battered wives man - "he still loves me, you'll see". Hope he rots at West Ham, we'll live without his five goals a season.

Bit of a moot point when we all know which of the two would prefer to be at NUFC next season. Just like we all know that as brilliant as Colo's been, he came here for the money and in all likelyhood hasn't been offered similar elsewhere.

Why are people still going on about style of football? its f*ck all to do with that.... its to do with the fact he has a terrible goalscoring record over last 2 and half years.

Style of play is one thing but first and foremost we need someone who can hit the back of the net regularly, i can think of many who consistently do that more than Carroll and for cheaper for that matter.

Why not buy someone less stationary?

Our problem isn't just Pardew or Cissé when it comes to our non-flowing football. We lack players who move off the ball. Anita, Sissoko and Gouffran pull defenders out of position, Hatem when on the ball and there's also Debuchy to some extent. Still too few. When playing with a lone striker you need someone who has a presence in the box but also runs the channels and makes space for his wingers. Our attacking play is way too static, we never stretch defences and neither Carroll nor Cissé is the type of striker to solve that. The way Carroll was playing "in his prime", he looked like the sort of complete forward you'd like here. Doing a bit of everything, kind of like Ba would do.

I've no problem with Cisse, Carroll and Hatem (lol) alternating as a front 3.

There's also 4-1-3-2.

There is but wouldn't we lack even more width than we do now? Which is a quite obvious problem already as it is if we play a narrow system it would probably be even worse.

I personally want a Bellamy or Michu type but the type is pretty irrelevant if they don't score goals.

Let's just say Carroll was in the team this season instead of Jonas. I think we'd score another 15 goals at least through Carroll and the chances he'd knock down for others. I'm happy for the team just to be effective in the final third.

• I would like Carroll back. Would give us a better option than Shola.
  • I dont want us to resort to hoof.
  • I dont want us to stick Cisse on either wing.

I would like a squad of strikers each giving us a different option depending on the game situation.

He needs the type of service that we don't deliver so don't see the point of signing him tbh.

Carroll is very capable of bringing other, more potent players into the game off scraps. He'll also attack the corners that our lot put their heads down for.

You never saw that based on his Newcastle performances so you must be referring to his time at Preston and Liverpool. Never watched him there so i'll have to take your work for it.

Let's just say Carroll was in the team this season instead of Jonas. I think we'd score another 15 goals at least through Carroll and the chances he'd knock down for others. I'm happy for the team just to be effective in the final third.

That is true.

He needs the type of service that we don't deliver so don't see the point of signing him tbh.

Carroll is very capable of bringing other, more potent players into the game off scraps. He'll also attack the corners that our lot put their heads down for.

You never saw that based on his Newcastle performances so you must be referring to his time at Preston and Liverpool. Never watched him there so i'll have to take your work for it.

I saw it clearly in the final year of his Newcastle career and occassionally since. Nice try, though.

I saw it clearly in the final year of his Newcastle career and occassionally since. Nice try, though.

Nah.

Big reduction in fee, big reduction in wages, and none of our best players going the other way, and I wouldn't be against. They can have Tiote but no-one better.

The big man is a good striking option to have, puts defences on edge, and goals from set pieces are as good as any others. Just look at Man U.

(5 goals in his last 8 starts fwiw).

The reason I don't want Carroll back is because I don't want us to resort to that type of football. Plus there's also the fact he's been very average for two and a half years now and he doesn't have the attitude off the field of somebody that fits in with our current bunch of players.

People might see well we should sign him because it will be easier for Pardew to work with him, I for one second don't believe that in the slightest as if we go back to 4-4-2 you will still no doubt have the huge gap between midfield and attack like we always have done under that formation under Pardew. I'd rather hold the slightest bit of belief in Llambias and Ashley to do the right thing and get rid of Pardew due to us outgrowing him, rather than us having to go backwards and buy Carroll because people believe it is the right thing to do for no other reason than the fact that he is a local lad.

I'm of the belief that his biggest problem is that he doesn't give a shit about West Ham or Liverpool.  Playing for us he had the lure of playing for the team he supports and playing to further his career.  He had friends and family around him to look out for him if necessary.

Once he got his "big" move and huge wage packet though, what more was there left for him to play for?  Who was there to look after him on and off the pitch?

Coming back here could give him the chance to redeem himself and become the player he looked like he could become before he left.

The reason I don't want Carroll back is because I don't want us to resort to that type of football. Plus there's also the fact he's been very average for two and a half years now and he doesn't have the attitude off the field of somebody that fits in with our current bunch of players.

People might see well we should sign him because it will be easier for Pardew to work with him, I for one second don't believe that in the slightest as if we go back to 4-4-2 you will still no doubt have the huge gap between midfield and attack like we always have done under that formation under Pardew. I'd rather hold the slightest bit of belief in Llambias and Ashley to do the right thing and get rid of Pardew due to us outgrowing him, rather than us having to go backwards and buy Carroll because people believe it is the right thing to do for no other reason than the fact that he is a local lad.

I'm of the belief that his biggest problem is that he doesn't give a s*** about West Ham or Liverpool.  Playing for us he had the lure of playing for the team he supports and playing to further his career.  He had friends and family around him to look out for him if necessary.

Once he got his "big" move and huge wage packet though, what more was there left for him to play for?  Who was there to look after him on and off the pitch?

Coming back here could give him the chance to redeem himself and become the player he looked like he could become before he left.

Is that really the attitude a professional should adopt? Especially one who had actually proved nothing in his career.

Exactly. He had huge pressure to justify that price tag. Yes he might now have set the fee himself but if I were in his position I'd be trying everything to try and prove the doubters wrong who said I was nowhere near that amount of money. He's done the complete opposite.

I think it's a case of the price that is asked by Liverpool, anything under 8 million quid and it should be looked at as a good piece of business, anything over that and I would genuinely think we could find better quality elswhere.

It is a big gamble bringing him back here, he has only shone in his last season with us and then flashes of his best in the Euros, he has done zilch since then...

I'm of the belief that his biggest problem is that he doesn't give a s*** about West Ham or Liverpool.  Playing for us he had the lure of playing for the team he supports and playing to further his career.  He had friends and family around him to look out for him if necessary.

Is that really the attitude a professional should adopt? Especially one who had actually proved nothing in his career.

Well clearly no, but he's hardly the first professional footballer to have attitude problems and he won't be the last either.

Perhaps Liverpool should have spoken to Preston North End staff about his time there (8 appearances in 5 months, 1 goal, 1 red card) before spunking £35m on him.

I'd rather have Carroll as an option than Shola. Different type of striker from Cisse as well so would offer us a chance to change things up when/if needed. Wouldn't be my first choice, but as things are looking more and more like he's coming back it's something I'd not be bothered about. We need more strikers for next season.