Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

Harper's cacking his pants right now.

You're joking aren't you? :lol: You think he's interested in being a Number 1?

Brand spanking new 3 year deal. He'll be as happy as a pig in shit.

Not like you to be cynical about him...

I've just broken one of my New Year Resolutions. ;)

Seriously, I'm sure he'll come in and do ok if Given does go.  :thup:

The club have at least made sure they're not going to be left in the shit (in the goalkeeping dept) if Given leaves in the next day or 2.

Guest michaelfoster

i want michael johnson in exchange plus a few million. wud be nice

I originally read this as Micheal Jackson.. I guess the Michael Johnson proposal makes more footballing sense though.

Hmm us buying lots of kids now Michael Jackson, things are starting to make sense

I'm really split on us potentially keeping Given. Whilst of course I don't want us to lose one of our very best players, if we need the money before we can strengthen the midfield I find myself hoping the deal goes through. :undecided:

Same here.

doesnt matter what david craig says, he's obviously leaving. if we get £8m plus onuoha and use that money to buy a CM, we'll have done alright. maybe get another CM on loan.

and if his "one more game" was a derby win over sunderland, it'd be even sweeter. shay and shearer both play their last games for NUFC and defeat the mackems   :aww:

then when shay becomes 2nd choice in the summer, we buy him back for peanuts  :thup: :thup:

Interesting that NUFC.com are running with this quote from Hughton:

"Unfortunately he had a top keeper in Shay Given in front of him."

while the Beeb goes with this:

"Unfortunately he has a top keeper in Shay Given in front of him."

the chronicle has went with

“What he has had in front of him is a quality goalkeeper in Shay Given."

Sorry like but nice a guy as he is, as much of a difference as he's made with charitable organizations around the area and donated his free time, as fondly as we all look at him and appreciate his efforts, his sale or staying will not be the difference between relegation and staying up. 

Mike Ashley, the Newcastle United owner, is playing hardball with Shay Given and has told the Ireland goalkeeper that he will not be permitted to leave the club this month unless Manchester City significantly raise their most recent offer of £5million.

The 32-year-old has been included in the Newcastle squad for the Barclays Premier League match against City this evening, but Given's departure appears increasingly likely.

City will reopen discussions with Newcastle, who will demand a fee similar to that required to sign players such as Craig Bellamy and Wayne Bridge, who cost £14million and £12million respectively. Newcastle would also consider a part-exchange deal.

The meeting between Given, Michael Kennedy, his solicitor, and members of the Newcastle hierarchy ended without resolution on Monday night, but the player reiterated his determination to seek a fresh challenge.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article5600959.ece

This sort of deal confirms our s*** run of luck: Poorest billionaire, shirt sponsored by the 2nd poorest company logo in the PL.  Every other f***ing club has rinsed Man City: Welsh crock: £14 million. Player who is going to worth approx £2.3 million in the summer: £15 million. Reseve left back: £12 million. World Class GK recently compared to Buffon by the legend that is Trap: Offers in of £3 million that has been increased to £5million.

f***ing JOKE!

if these figures being bandied about are true then we are probably fucked, our best hope of staying up (imo) is getting a good fee and/or players from man city for given so we can strengthen the squad

obviously they know we're fucked, as do we all, and are taking advantage...unless we get 10m min from them we should tell them to fuck right off

doesn't bode well for us though really does it?  hopefully this right back is the new dani alves

They gotta fuck off to be honest.  5m?  At least double the figure.

to Given: not playing hardball to you, but you should understand 5m is a ridiculous price.  An insult to your calibre to be honest.  You better stay here till the summer then.

Guest The Libertine

Good a Chairman who doesn't bend over with his pants down when cubs want a player.

basically. if he goes then im almost certain we'll get a fair/good price for him like we have for most (if not all) players sold under ashley.

Good a Chairman who doesn't bend over with his pants down when cubs want a player.

basically. if he goes then im almost certain we'll get a fair/good price for him like we have for most (if not all) players sold under ashley.

I think we got to much money in the cases of Milner and Dyer. :lol:

Question:

If we play hardball with City, and only agree to sell for what we believe he is worth, and a bid from City is no longer forthcoming keeping Shay at the club....does it still make us a "selling club who sell our best players?"

Question:

If we play hardball with City, and only agree to sell for what we believe he is worth, and a bid from City is no longer forthcoming keeping Shay at the club....does it still make us a "selling club who sell our best players?"

No, it makes us a sensible club who refuse to bow down to the money and power of the wealthy clubs. Shows ambition and good business sense in my eyes.

If they want a World Class player they can pay World Class transfer fees. De Jong, Bellamy & Bridge, all over £12M and none are World Class.