Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

Guest Stephen927

Maybe we're letting them talk to Given, because we're talking with one or two of their players for a swap deal. 

:mystery:

This move really boggles my mind.  I could understand it if were a squad in a much better position than us (a Man Utd, Chelsea, even Aston Villa/Everton) but Man City?  Come off it.  It really pisses me off that Shay isn't taking a step up, but actually taking a step sideways towards one of our direct competitors.

Guest sicko2ndbest

This move really boggles my mind.  I could understand it if were a squad in a much better position than us (a Man Utd, Chelsea, even Aston Villa/Everton) but Man City?  Come off it.  It really pisses me off that Shay isn't taking a step up, but actually taking a step sideways towards one of our direct competitors.

Disagree

ManCity will be a top 6 side next season, top 4 the season after, we wont!

Easy decision

Money.

Disagree

ManCity will be a top 6 side next season, top 4 the season after, we wont!

Easy decision

Not necessarily. Signings like De Jong, Bellamy, and Bridge won't get them up to that level, and neither will a manager like Hughes. We'll have to see what happens with them in the summer.

Money.

That's really why it's hard to have respect for Given in this move. If a top 4 side were in for him fine, thanks for a job well done hope you go win a medal.

But there is no promises that Man City will be in the top 8 next year, never mind the top 4. For all we know Shay could be replaced by the time they get anywhere near the Champions League.

It's all about the money. And that's what makes it so disappointing.

I get the feeling we are going to get stitched up on this one and we will end up with about 6-7 mil at best when we should be exploiting man city, just the same as West Ham did.  As for Shay, he's gone.  Shay who?

Money.

That's really why it's hard to have respect for Given in this move. If a top 4 side were in for him fine, thanks for a job well done hope you go win a medal.

But there is no promises that Man City will be in the top 8 next year, never mind the top 4. For all we know Shay could be replaced by the time they get anywhere near the Champions League.

I think that is absolute shite.

He's going there cos it has a sign of promise. There is no chance of him getting in a top 4 team so he needs to find a team that has a chance of getting somewhere. The only teams that have a vague chance of getting there are Villa/Man City. The reason Man City have a chance is because of money, yes, but thats not why he's going there imo.

Anyone who thinks a move to Man City is a 'sideways' move from Newcastle United in its current state, is deluded.

Money.

He's going there cos it has a sign of promise. There is no chance of him getting in a top 4 team so he needs to find a team that has a chance of getting somewhere. The only teams that have a vague chance of getting there are Villa/Man City. The reason Man City have a chance is because of money, yes, but thats not why he's going there imo.

Anyone who thinks a move to Man City is a 'sideways' move from Newcastle United in its current state, is deluded.

I totally agree. Some very petty barbs being thrown at an NUFC legend in this thread imo.

The problem is we all get a feeling that Man City don't really rate Given.  Probably they are still targeting Buffon and Given is just a half year solution, or slight improvement over Hart.  Given should also get this message unless he's an idiot.

Money.

I totally agree. Some very petty barbs being thrown at an NUFC legend in this thread imo.

I take your point but I don't think he's acted like an 'NUFC legend' this month. In fact I'd go so far as to say he's been a bit of a snidey, sly, underhanded, devious little cunt this month to be totally honest.

If he wanted away he should have said so straight away imo. :neutral:

I understand why he wants away and I'm annoyed he's felt it necessary to want a move though.  :thup: 

Money.

I take your point but I don't think he's acted like an 'NUFC legend' this month. In fact I'd go so far as to say he's been a bit of a snidey, sly, underhanded, devious little cunt this month to be totally honest.

If he wanted away he should have said so straight away imo. :neutral:

I understand why he wants away and I'm annoyed he's felt it necessary to want a move though.  :thup: 

He's clearly been waiting for one of the big boys to come in for and now it's not happened he comes out of the whole thing looking a bit of a mug tbh.

This bid should never had had a leg to stand on if the final figure's anywhere near 5-8M. We should be getting 10M+ looking at how easily Man City have been chucking money at shite players and overvaluing all players they bid for.

It seems they want this one on the cheap as they want Buffon or some other big name keeper in the summer. *Sigh*

Guest northwestmag1892

I suppose I just expect more from my legends than to jump ship to a mid-table club in the middle of the worst relegation fight in our Premiership history.

Could this honestly not have waited until the summer?

Totally agree mate. Giving us another 4 months to keep us up then move is what the fans would want, surely. Then we'd be on to the city council to give him freedom of the city.

Hope we loan Harewood for his return to SJP.

I'm sure you're just taking the piss?! I'm fucked off with Given as well, he did fuck us majorly, but howay man!!

Yes i am, two wrongs don't make a right. Signing Harewood even on loan is a massive blow, we'll all jut have to hope Harewood gets a start somewhere else and does him then.  :razz: