Peter Løvenkradns signs cøntract tø end øf seasøn

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Heneage

Its a joke to be honest mate at times. Its almost as if no player is good enough.

Tooj can I ask a question, of the first team or squad who do you consider a good player? Martins?Shay?Owen?  I was neither annoyed or chuffed with Sibierski signing to be honest, the guy was a body, something a bit different, big target man with Premier League experience on a free, in theory the perfect fodder for a striker like Rossi, you can see the thinking. He scored goals that got us points like Fenebache, Aston Villa, Zulte Waregem. When you consider some of the money grabbers we've had it was nice to see a player who took to the club more than his big pay cheque.

We are now seeing the colour of some when we are hitting the fan players talking about wanting out etc. We were on the slide when Sib wanted to extend his stay, he was always pleasent, and on the few occassions at work I walked past or got the chance to chat to him he was nothing but polite, asking what I was doing education wise etc. We could do with more players like that around the club, the good influence type who will help build loyalty among the younger players, and make them more Fan Friendly. The fact he was wanted to stay after some fans reaction amazed me.

I'd much rather offer him a new contract than someone like Nicky Butt or Steve Harper even Ameobi. Our club has been crying out for a Man City esq overhaul for 2-3 seasons now. We've started by improve the academy talent. But the first team needs changes both in talent and mentality, we have too many that.

a) Live on their past glories

These are the likes of Duff, Smith, Ameobi (The goals he had scored on occassion) Taylor, Geremi.

b) Cling on to the "Hot prospect" tag yet aren't delivering.

The likes of N'Zogbia, Carroll, Edgar, Taylor to a degree.

c) Just meander at the club not really doing one or the other.

Donaldson, Godsmark, Forster. Why aren't these three pushing the first team or at least the squad? At least LuaLua shows ambition these two just seem happy with 15 minutes in Friendlies and reserve outings.

There's few of the current squad i'd consider offering new deals really, we've a decent core.

Given, Krul, Beye, Colo & Bassong, Enrique, Zogbia, Jonas, Barton, Martins Owen. But on top of that we need major investment, for the time being i'd be happy with more Sibierski type signings the "Do you a job" player. But just because a player does not command big fee or is not a hot prospect or the height of his career does not make him a poor signing. Was it not your beloved Keegan who brought in Killer Kilcline to do a job?

Great post nixon.

I think we can all see what Mike's plan is now. He is going to do this on as low budget as he can, get first team bodies in for as little as he can, and hope the system can develop the players we brought in. I think it will be a move to benefit the club as a whole for seasons to come, even if it limits our status for a season or two. If we seek to not offer over the top contracts, try to remove the leaches from the club, and bring in young, talents with potential then I cant see how this will be bad for the club. Sure, people need to lower their expectations, but we have been very shit for a while now, and if these so called established premiership pro's cant do it for their overpaid wages, I see no harm in trying to bring through young hungry kids with potential.

To be fair, Nixon, I think that Taylor puts out a good effort and genuinely loves the club. He's just not very good. Still, I'd keep him.

As for Lovenkrands, I'm completely underwhelmed by the signing, but I agree that we need cover right now and I hope that he's hungry and wants to make the most of his opportunity here.

Guest JamesyJazz

A decent post there Nixon,valid and relevant points to consider.

As for Lovenkrands,well,he is another body but is he up to Premiership standard?

He is a physical player though,bordering on the blatantly filthy!I watched him two or three seasons ago(maybe longer)when he was playing for the blue nose brigade against the Hibees at Easter Road.He made a quick diagonal run off the ball for approx 30 -40 yards making sure the ref and linesmen  weren't watching just to land one on Scott Brown .Should fit in well with Joey!

I always find it funny when people rate Jonas but thought Dyer was shite when they are pretty much identical in what they bring to the team, say what you like about stats but it's only noticeable because the rest of the team are not getting many goals or assists either yet for me the quality that Jonas has is unquestionable, much like Dyer's was back in Sir Bobby's first 2 seasons when we were shite.

He's the one outfield player we've got who wouldn't look out of place at Man Utd, Arsenal or Liverpool.

Guest Heneage

Dyer and Jonas are similar in style, but its frequency that sets them apart, Dyer used to play lots of simple passes, it was rare he would pick up the ball deep and just start running.

“I’ve been on tenterhooks for two weeks. It’s been a fantastic opportunity — my agent talked to a couple of other Premier League clubs, but as soon as I knew about Newcastle, I wanted to come here — but it’s also been tough.

“I wanted to come here so badly that it has been hard mentally for me, and hard for my family. But I’ve got the move now and I just can’t wait to get started.”

“I’d do anything to prove myself over the next few months and win a long-term contract here,” he said. “I’m still very confident in my ability and very ambitious."

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-utd/newcastle-utd-news/2009/01/25/lovenkrands-is-ready-for-relegation-battle-79310-22772125/

Great attitude, hope it shows on the pitch :thup:

Ah right, so why did that happen?  A fall out with the manager or he just wasn't getting a game?  I just want to get an idea of what to expect from him.

Don't have any expectations if I was you. I'm not expecting him to be good or bad, just another body to be honest. Since he hasn't actually played for a while none of us could really say. If he still has pace and is able to use it that'd be a massive bonus on all accounts.

Pace. Is what we need. I hope he starts alongside Owen against City - he's basically a taller Martins (thats ignoring technical ability etc) but pace is so important to our games.

If he plays on the wings then Kinnear wants shooting.

• 2 weeks later...

He played up front in the trial match so hopefully that'll be where he'll mostly be playing.

Rangers fans say his "his career was f***ed by making him play midfield" so lets play him there then.......

this post from Danish_Magpie

Danish_Magpie  // Jan 24, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Just want to clarify a few things about Løvenkrands since people have been asking about his position etc. in the past few days. I have watched this guy play a hundred times back in Denmark for AB, for the national team, for Rangers and in this first year or two at Schalke, and just wanted to shed some light on him. Of course everything can be argued since football is a game of opinions, but this is my evaluation of him as a player:

Positions: Left forward in 4-3-3 (best position in my opinion), striker, or left-wing.

As a striker: Løvenkrands’ greatest asset is his speed. Irrespective of the position he is playing, this is an important aspect of his game. As a striker, he compliments this speed with a good shot. Both from distance and more up-close, Løvenkrands strikes the ball pretty well and while he will never be highly prolific as a goalscorer, he will score some goals. His weaknesses as a striker are that he lacks physical strength and that he is not a great threat in the air. Therefore, he is most effective when played with a big man up front (and even more effective as left forward in 4-3-3).

As a winger: Again, speed is a big part of his game. He does have a decent touch, but isn’t a great dribbler. Relies mainly on pace, and direct running and play on the wing. Again, he will get open for shots and take some of them. His work-rate is okay too, and if he can stay fit, he would be a good left-winger for us. Weakness: His crossing is not great so don’t expect the ‘Beckham-type’ winger.

Guest DarkSchneider

He looked OK last game. I wished that he would start. I was shocked to see both Caroll and Shola on the pitch at the same time.