Time for a salary cap in the Premier League?

Decky

I still think that a club should run on the principle that wages can not exceded a set percentage of turnover (say a five year average figure).

This still allows the best teams to pay for the best players but removes the scope for stupid wages being paid to one player.

It would also lead to a trickle down of better players playing for lesser clubs; Man Utd could still offer Ronaldo £150k a week, but might then not be able to pay Rooney the same, so Rooney has to move to Madrid to get his £150k, which then in turn pushes Raul out to Valencia etc.

Clubs should have a sustainable wage budget. Colo... is right with his first sentence.

Any wage is sustainable to Manchester City, so £500k a week for Kaka is fine.  Nothing anybody can do about it so move on.

The Premier League couldn't implement a salary cap if you consider that they are a business.  They need to attract the best players in the world to secure TV deals and other sponsorship and limiting the wages a club could pay would hinder this from happening.

Unworkable IMO.  The clubs would just find other ways of paying the players other than wages.

Like what?  Whatever they pay you even if it's a free benefit such as medical insurance is still on your payslip as its taxable and taken off your tax allowance.  They could give you a car but that is still a benefit, the only way they could do it is if they say they'd won a competition or something and even then it's still a grey area.

Weyhey, everyone's won the weekely Man City players lotto heres 400k each.

For example, as the billionaire club owner, I could give you a selection of fine wines after every game. A thoughtful gift, befitting a billionaire showing his gratitude, and worth a metric ton of cash over a season. Perhaps a vintage car for each player if the team wins a cup.

Perhaps my view would be different it the Man City owners had bought Newcastle, but I do feel that the transfer fee's and wages have got out of control.  Very average footballers are now millionaires.  Plus the thought of City spending this huge amount on KaKa is making me feel the league is pointless if you can just buy anyone and win it (in principle, they have't won anything yet or got Kaka).  If they do sign Kaka for silly money I really hope he breaks his leg in his first game.  It would underline how stupid the amount of money for him really is.

I think there should be a cap of £75k a week salary and no more than £30m a season in transfer fee's.  Would give clubs outside of the top four a chance and I think it would help lower season ticket prices.  It may even make clubs look towards developing youth more instead of letting them go stale without any first team action.

Don't a cap for wages or transfer fee's would ever happen, but still that's my view.

I still think that a club should run on the principle that wages can not exceded a set percentage of turnover (say a five year average figure).

This still allows the best teams to pay for the best players but removes the scope for stupid wages being paid to one player.

It would also lead to a trickle down of better players playing for lesser clubs; Man Utd could still offer Ronaldo £150k a week, but might then not be able to pay Rooney the same, so Rooney has to move to Madrid to get his £150k, which then in turn pushes Raul out to Valencia etc.

but if a lesser club is not able to spend above a certain percentage it reduces their scope for improvement. sometimes you have to speculate to get better, or spend heavily for a period or take on short-term debts. it would also led to situations where a club are priced out of the running for a player by default. for instance when Owen was injured, we were still paying his wages, and those wages may have effectively blocked us from signing another striker which would've pushed us over the limit. or if x club know y club can only pay £10,000 a week to a player they both want, they'll just offer £10,001, knowing there's fuck all the other club can do about it. setting expenditure limits based on current or past earning averages reinforces the hierarchy of the league and would make it harder for lesser teams to break through, and easier for the best to maintain their superiority. clubs should be free to determine how they spend their money, if they are too reckless and it goes to pot, tough shit. if they are clever and ambitious and risks pay off, then fair play to them. clubs probably should work by the principle of a cap, but not by the rule.

furthermore, talk of a wage cap is tautological. player wages are a byproduct of money coming into the game, rather than the other way round. put a cap on wages and the money is still coming in, yet instead of going to the players, those who it should go to, it'll end up elsewhere. it seems people are trying to draw up rules regulating all teams in order to curtail one or two teams with megarich owners which is daft imo.

Regarding money in football: -

It would seem that Tottenham haven't been effected by the Credit Crunch with all the money they are bidding on players.

How does Mike Ashley think he is going to "refinance" Newcastle in the Summer when banks won't lend to anyone?

Player's wages don't seem to have been hit by falling attendances yet.

Regarding money in football: -

It would seem that Tottenham haven't been effected by the Credit Crunch with all the money they are bidding on players.

How does Mike Ashley think he is going to "refinance" Newcastle in the Summer when banks won't lend to anyone?

Player's wages don't seem to have been hit by falling attendances yet.

They did get a £30m+ from Man Utd right at the close of the last window for Berbatov who only cost them £12m.  Plus they sold Keane for £17m.  That would help them spend.  Plus the Carrick money was silly.  £16.5m for player who cost them £2.5m? - Over the years they have sold some players for good amounts. 

Yes, most definitely, but its easier said than done.

If we were to do it then I think all the best players wouldnt want to come to the Premiership. They'd probably all flock off to La Liga. But in saying that, the players would still be very well paid.

But Steve Bruce said yesterday that Spurs are getting Wilson Palacios because they can offer so much better wages than them, and its true. The smaller clubs like Wigan, Bolton, Stoke etc. dont stand a chance hanging onto their best players due to the ridiculous wages the better clubs can offer. Because lets be honest, for the near future who looks more likely to be challenging for Europe and staying in the top half- Wigan or Spurs? Wigan...easily. Wages have a huge factor in players decisions.

The Kaka transfer is just embarrassing for football, imo. How anyone is worth £500k a week and a transfer fee of £107m is beyond me. Its a joke. Im sure some of the City hardcore who've seen their club in Division 3 etc. will have the same view. They've had some great teams over the years and that was without buying the best players in the world. But in saying that I doubt many of them will give a sh!t...

So yes, its got to be a wage cap imo.

Guest kirkpatrick9

Yes, most definitely, but its easier said than done.

If we were to do it then I think all the best players wouldnt want to come to the Premiership. They'd probably all flock off to La Liga. But in saying that, the players would still be very well paid.

But Steve Bruce said yesterday that Spurs are getting Wilson Palacios because they can offer so much better wages than them, and its true. The smaller clubs like Wigan, Bolton, Stoke etc. dont stand a chance hanging onto their best players due to the ridiculous wages the better clubs can offer. Because lets be honest, for the near future who looks more likely to be challenging for Europe and staying in the top half- Wigan or Spurs? Wigan...easily. Wages have a huge factor in players decisions.

The Kaka transfer is just embarrassing for football, imo. How anyone is worth £500k a week and a transfer fee of £107m is beyond me. Its a joke. Im sure some of the City hardcore who've seen their club in Division 3 etc. will have the same view. They've had some great teams over the years and that was without buying the best players in the world. But in saying that I doubt many of them will give a sh!t...

So yes, its got to be a wage cap imo.

Every wage budget in europe should be proprtionate to season ticket sales per clubs in europe over 5year IMO.

I cannot see, legally, how it can be changed - businesses being businesses. The only way to get it changed would be the monopoly argument. Otherwise the only way I can see is if a seperate body to UEFA/FA was formed and created it's own leagues, maybe you'd see an exodus of teams from uncapped to capped leagues at the end of Season X/Y.

But for the record, I think the structure of the American NFL is far superior, even down to the drafts - I'd rather kids were only allowed to play for their school teams and would get drafted like that.

Guest kirkpatrick9

The % of turnover thing is poop as I am sure something like this happens in France & is one of the reason Lyon can outspend everyone as they year-on-year have CL money.

My model has nothing to do with Turnover. Turnover is to to unreliable.

My model goes on layers and IMO would give the power back to the fans.

It would go on season ticket sales, over lets say a five year period and not turnover* for a primary pay layer

(*not turn over, turn overs increase and shrink, e.g. if Arsenal had three seasons outside the champions league, their turn over would shrink dramatically, on the other hand if we had a champions league run our turn over would work its way to being close to Man Utd)

Were any Champions Legue monies would be a secondary layer and could be added in to players wages going on their proportion of pay they get in the season ticket budget (e.h if EMO gets 4x more than Butt in season ticket money, he get 4 times more in a secondary layer pay like a champions league stream). However if the club loses champions league revenue, the players lose the secondary income layer (this would increase the competitiveness in pro football in Europe)

The budget gage would be in Newcastle's benefit and every clubs benefit. It would hinder owners who want to bank role their clubs, in turn ripping off the fan bases of bigger clubs like Newcastle Man Utd,Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Everton and smaller fan bases etc..

This still may still be tougher on clubs with smaller fan bases but lets be fair here. It always has been tougher on them and If I buy a season ticket I do not want to subsidise any club never mind smaller clubs. And I think this attitude would be universal.

• 1 year later...

NEWCASTLE United’s unpopular owner Mike Ashley will impose a wage ceiling of £30,000 a week on any new signings if they win back a Premier League place.

That would mean the Geordies, who have paid huge wages of up to £110,00 a week for stars like Michael Owen in the past, will be unable to attract the top players to St James’ Park in the summer.

Ashley believes that gigantic wage bills are crippling clubs and he wants to make a stand.

Newcastle have confirmed our Sunday Express exclusive that they are ending their 14-year association with kit suppliers adidas at the end of the season in favour of Puma.

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/153787/Mike-Ashley-to-impose-wage-ceiling/?

If we had a good manager and a system in place where we scouted and brought in the right quality of players I'd be delighted that we'd set a wage-cap. However we all know it's because Ashley is a tight twat and he just wants to do absolutely everything on a shoe string.

Only if it was a world wide cap on Football salaries otherwise the standard of the Premier League would decrease so dramatically it would get no TV money hardly and would become a joke of a league.

Only if it was a world wide cap on Football salaries otherwise the standard of the Premier League would decrease so dramatically it would get no TV money hardly and would become a joke of a league.

whereas if the current rate of wages for players continues to rise more and more clubs will fall thanks to them and the league will decline

If we had a good manager and a system in place where we scouted and brought in the right quality of players I'd be delighted that we'd set a wage-cap. However we all know it's because Ashley is a tight t*** and he just wants to do absolutely everything on a shoe string.

Bang on.

NEWCASTLE United’s unpopular owner Mike Ashley will impose a wage ceiling of £30,000 a week on any new signings if they win back a Premier League place.

That would mean the Geordies, who have paid huge wages of up to £110,00 a week for stars like Michael Owen in the past, will be unable to attract the top players to St James’ Park in the summer.

Ashley believes that gigantic wage bills are crippling clubs and he wants to make a stand.

Newcastle have confirmed our Sunday Express exclusive that they are ending their 14-year association with kit suppliers adidas at the end of the season in favour of Puma.

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/153787/Mike-Ashley-to-impose-wage-ceiling/?

Complete and utter tripe. :lol:

Setting a maximum wage per player is uneccesarry anyway, the club just needs to cap the overall wage bill and actually manage it correctly.

Cant complain at that, I think more clubs will follow, the bubble has burst for players. The watering hole has dried up.

Agents wake up.

NEWCASTLE Uniteds unpopular owner Mike Ashley will impose a wage ceiling of £30,000 a week on any new signings if they win back a Premier League place.

That would mean the Geordies, who have paid huge wages of up to £110,00 a week for stars like Michael Owen in the past, will be unable to attract the top players to St James Park in the summer.

Complete and utter tripe. :lol:

Setting a maximum wage per player is uneccesarry anyway, the club just needs to cap the overall wage bill and actually manage it correctly.

I agree because if we ever manage to develop players there will come a point where they reach the salary cap and we would have no option but to sell them.  Far better to  have a fixed budget and then decide how that should be allocated per player.  I think David Moyes is given a budget which includes salaries and he decides how it  is spent.

I agree wages should be restricted and I think there may be a general movement towards that because of the current difficulties clubs find themselves in but a salary of £30,000 max in today's game seems incredibly low if you want to achieve anything other than being a selling club and perennial strugglers.

• 1 year later...