Kinnear offered 2.5/3.5 year contract extension

SUPERTOON

I couldn't believe this when I saw it yesterday. Seriously, what are they thinking? It sounds harsh but I hope for our sake Kinnear is advised against returning on medical grounds. Having said that, the Hughton, Bryan Robson, Terry Venables options aren't good either.

The next managerial appointment will say a lot about our ambitions as a club. Big name managers aren't always the answer, for me a bright young manager on the way up like Martinez would show us something.

I couldn't believe this when I saw it yesterday. Seriously, what are they thinking? It sounds harsh but I hope for our sake Kinnear is advised against returning on medical grounds. Having said that, the Hughton, Bryan Robson, Terry Venables options aren't good either.

The next managerial appointment will say a lot about our ambitions as a club. Big name managers aren't always the answer, for me a bright young manager on the way up like Martinez would show us something.

is there really any hope left?

All he had to do was say Joe was only ever seen as an interim appointment, and if he keeps us up we'll be grateful for that. But we feel in the summer it's time to go for someone who we feel is capable of taking the club forward in the long term.

No, he can't, or he shouldn't. He has to show that he's got the utmost faith in him, just like Keegan did with the players. Confidence means a lot in football, for the manager as for the players.

I don't think Kinnear is going to be here next season otherwise he would have signed the contract by now. Let's see what actually happens with the next appointment.

All he had to do was say Joe was only ever seen as an interim appointment, and if he keeps us up we'll be grateful for that. But we feel in the summer it's time to go for someone who we feel is capable of taking the club forward in the long term.

No, he can't, or he shouldn't. He has to show that he's got the utmost faith in him, just like Keegan did with the players. Confidence means a lot in football, for the manager as for the players.

Why not? When Joe came in he knew the circumstances of the job. He's done nothing to me to deserve being offered a contract extension beyond this season.

I don't think Kinnear is going to be here next season otherwise he would have signed the contract by now. Let's see what actually happens with the next appointment.

i take your point, but if they have actually offered him the contract, doesnt this prove beyond any doubt that they're fucking clueless? and we've seen what happens when clueless people are in charge of managerial appointments before, the club suffers drastically, until by law of averages they stumble upon a good one

i take your point, but if they have actually offered him the contract, doesnt this prove beyond any doubt that they're fucking clueless? and we've seen what happens when clueless people are in charge of managerial appointments before, the club suffers drastically, until by law of averages they stumble upon a good one

That's my major concern ATM with the people running the football club, they really don't appear to have any football knowledge or even any access to some. Dennis Wise might be ok at spotting a few promising youngsters, but someone at the top needs to be able to make shrewd judgement about the most important decision of all, who to appoint as manager.

That's my major concern ATM with the people running the football club, they really don't appear to have any football knowledge or even any access to some. Dennis Wise might be ok at spotting a few promising youngsters, but someone at the top needs to be able to make shrewd judgement about the most important decision of all, who to appoint as manager.

exactly

I'm gonna give them some credit and suggest this is a facade Kinnear and the Board were cooperating in - Kinnear wasn't going to be kept on, but both parties recognised that perceivably limited authority undermines an incumbent manager. Thus they agreed to pretend it was forever in order to maximise their respective successes, Kinnear now holding a better chance of accruing a decent reputation. This would explain why he didn't snap their hand off when offered the job but made a habit of talking about it.

That's probably it...

I'm gonna give them some credit and suggest this is a facade Kinnear and the Board were cooperating in - Kinnear wasn't going to be kept on, but both parties recognised that perceivably limited authority undermines an incumbent manager. Thus they agreed to pretend it was forever in order to maximise their respective successes, Kinnear now holding a better chance of accruing a decent reputation. This would explain why he didn't snap their hand off when offered the job.

That's probably it...

That's my optimistic assessment as well, otherwise Kinnear not signing the contract doesn't make sense. I am still nervous about the appointment they actually do make though. Hopefully we will be "pleasantly surprised".

I'm gonna give them some credit and suggest this is a facade Kinnear and the Board were cooperating in - Kinnear wasn't going to be kept on, but both parties recognised that perceivably limited authority undermines an incumbent manager. Thus they agreed to pretend it was forever in order to maximise their respective successes, Kinnear now holding a better chance of accruing a decent reputation. This would explain why he didn't snap their hand off when offered the job.

That's probably it...

That's my optimistic assessment as well, otherwise Kinnear not signing the contract doesn't make sense. I am still nervous about the appointment they actually do make though. Hopefully we will be "pleasantly surprised".

I would imagine that most decentish managers would want to be assured of prem status and would also want a full window to shape the squad to their liking.

We live in hope.

That's probably it...

Yep, because all of their 'cunning ploys' so far have turned out so well... How many times have we thought 'they must have a plan', 'they wouldn't be so stupid as to do what they seem to be doing, it must be part of some elaborate behind the scenes motive'... It's not, there's no plan, no decoy, they are stupid fucking idiots who risk destroying the club by making THE WORST managerial appointment in our club's history.

That's probably it...

Yep, because all of their 'cunning ploys' so far have turned out so well... How many times have we thought 'they must have a plan', 'they wouldn't be so stupid as to do what they seem to be doing, it must be part of some elaborate behind the scenes motive'... It's not, there's no plan, no decoy, they are stupid f***ing idiots who risk destroying the club by making THE WORST managerial appointment in our club's history.

Agreed. What 80 and Big Tron are saying redefines wishful thinking. Unfortunately, there's not much evidence to support their theory and I fully expect Kinnear to take them up on their offer if and when he recovers to full fitness.

That's probably it...

Yep, because all of their 'cunning ploys' so far have turned out so well... How many times have we thought 'they must have a plan', 'they wouldn't be so stupid as to do what they seem to be doing, it must be part of some elaborate behind the scenes motive'... It's not, there's no plan, no decoy, they are stupid f***ing idiots who risk destroying the club by making THE WORST managerial appointment in our club's history.

Agreed. What 80 and Big Tron are saying redefines wishful thinking. Unfortunately, there's not much evidence to support their theory and I fully expect Kinnear to take them up on their offer if and when he recovers to full fitness.

But surely he'll be advised not to manage again by the doctors? He's in his 60's now and with an instable heart condition he just cant be expected to manage again.....especially at NUFC! He's a stubborn bastard but surely even he'll see that throwing in the towel would be the best thing to do. Hopefully his missus will have a word...

That's probably it...

But surely he'll be advised not to manage again by the doctors? He's in his 60's now and with an instable heart condition he just cant be expected to manage again.....especially at NUFC! He's a stubborn b****** but surely even he'll see that throwing in the towel would be the best thing to do. Hopefully his missus will have a word...

That would be the definition of a lucky escape, but doesn't change the fact that the board offered Kinnear a new contract with the ful intent of keeping him on. It's frankly ridiculous that we are sitting here hoping that Kinnear makes a full recovery (from a human perspective) but is advised by the doctors treating him against taking the contract offer (from a supporting the club perspective).. Also, if they thought ol' Harry and Kinnear are the sort of manager we need, I dread to think who else they come up with next in the event Kinnear doesn´t take it..

That's probably it...

But surely he'll be advised not to manage again by the doctors? He's in his 60's now and with an instable heart condition he just cant be expected to manage again.....especially at NUFC! He's a stubborn b****** but surely even he'll see that throwing in the towel would be the best thing to do. Hopefully his missus will have a word...

That would be the definition of a lucky escape, but doesn't change the fact that the board offered Kinnear a new contract with the ful intent of keeping him on. It's frankly ridiculous that we are sitting here hoping that Kinnear makes a full recovery (from a human perspective) but is advised by the doctors treating him against taking the contract offer (from a supporting the club perspective).. Also, if they thought ol' Harry and Kinnear are the sort of manager we need, I dread to think who else they come up with next in the event Kinnear doesn´t take it..

i can definitely see 80's point, but you're right that its wishful thinking at this point. circumstances now dictate that kinnear wont stay on. well, i say that, but if there is one person stupid enough to keep the offer open then its probably ashley!

For my reputation's sake, I should point out I don't particularly believe in what I said myself. It is the most sensible-sounding explanation for it all as I can up up with, but as we're finding, we seem to have an administration that can come up with as logic-defying a collection of decisions as our previous one, amazingly.

That said, I do find the eagerness to speak about it combined with the inaction strange and worthy of explanation. I make a habit of treating the content of this board's words as worthless, and instead trying to divine their purpose from the tangible actions I can hold onto as being true. As such, for once, this approach allows for a relatively positive spin - 'Kinnear speaks of contract offer + Board speaks of contract offer + no contract to be signed until Summer = ??'

For my reputation's sake, I should point out I don't particularly believe in what I said myself. It is the most sensible-sounding explanation for it all as I can up up with, but as we're finding, we seem to have an administration that can come up with as logic-defying a collection of decisions as our previous one, amazingly.

That said, I do find all the words spoken about it combined with the inaction strange and worthy of explanation. I make a habit of treating the content of this board's words as worthless, and instead trying to divine their purpose from the tangible actions I can hold onto as being true. As such, for once, this approach allows for a relatively positive spin - 'Kinnear speaks of contract offer + Board speaks of contract offer + no contract to be signed until Summer = ??'

when it was announced i had a somewhat similar take, that the benefit of kinnear gaining long-term authority, illusory or otherwise, would help us out in the short-term. didnt exactly work though.

That's probably it...

Like I said it's an "optimistic" view, and the fact that the contract wasn't signed tells a story. When Joe was on a monthly contract he was reported to be touting his services  to the likes of Sunderland a while back and that won him a deal to the end of the season.  Would someone so desperate for a long term job really have shelved a two year contract extension?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1145642/EXCLUSIVE-Joe-Kinnear-1m-bonus-Newcastle-stay-up.html?ITO=1490

EXCLUSIVE: Joe Kinnear to get £1m bonus if Newcastle stay up

By Bob Cass Last updated at 10:21 PM on 14th February 2009

* Comments (0)

* Add to My Stories

Joe Kinnear will pick up a £1million bonus if Newcastle stay in the Premier League this season, even if he does not return to the dugout again after a triple heart bypass operation.

The money is part of a complex wage deal agreed since Kinnear took over the ailing club last September in a caretaker capacity.

And it will be paid whether or not the 62- year-old, who has been in hospital since last Saturday after suffering heart problems, recovers in time to replace his stand-ins Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood.

Kinnear was given the manager's job by owner Mike Ashley until the end of the season in November when he accepted a substantial wage cut linked with the seven-figure incentive to beat relegation, after working on a month-to-month basis on a salary believed to be about £25,000 a week.

The club have indicated he will need at least two months' rest and recuperation from his surgery on Friday.

Although Kinnear has pinpointed the fixture against Stoke City on April 11 as his possible comeback game, there must be doubts whether he will be back before the end of the season, if at all.

Ashley may not be prepared to thrust the Irishman back into management, especially at a club in turmoil where the pressures are huge.

If Hughton and Calderwood do not manage to keep the club above the drop zone, Ashley may find it too late to revert to Plan C, which would see the appointment of an emergency troubleshooter to try to prevent what would be a catastrophic drop into the Championship.

The vastly experienced Terry Venables, who has been linked with several jobs, including Portsmouth, would be a popular choice, having fulfilled a similar role with Middlesbrough.

Venables, 66, had a brief spell as an England coach under Steve McClaren, but has been out of club football since his unsuccessful attempt to restore order at a chaotic Leeds United, who he joined seven years ago.

;D