Kinnear offered 2.5/3.5 year contract extension

SUPERTOON

I'm going to save my anger and vitriol and wait till it actually happens, if it does.

I'd find it hard to believe anyone could be as incompetent as one would have to be to even consider offering the man a new contract. I find it hard to believe this supposed contract offer would be unconditional either, so it may well depend on where we finish.

Guest VegasToon

I am still waiting to see what happens in the next two weeks before I say anything. I'm assuming Ashley is going to hit the transfer market with intent and then give a victory speech at the end of January telling us why with the right players Joe's the man to take us forward.

I know there's an alternative scenario but I can wait two weeks.

This.

Feels a bit like Souness all over again.

Souness was more like someone running out of nowhere and smashing you in the face with a brick. This is more like someone who mugs you, beats you senseless then backs over you repeatedly with their car to make sure you're dead.

Guest Geordiesned

From the Ronny:

TOON boss Joe Kinnear has revealed he has been offered a "very lucrative" deal to stay on as Newcastle United manager past the end of the season.

The former Wimbledon and Nottingham Forest chief initially arrived on a short-term deal following the resignation of Kevin Keegan in September and with owner Mike Ashley looking to sell the club.

The sportswear tycoon has since taken the Magpies off the market and given Kinnear a contract until the end of the season.

The 62-year-old has led Newcastle out of the Premier League bottom three but they are only three points clear of Tottenham in 18th place.

Kinnear told talkSPORT: "I know what my own future is. I’m just mulling over things in my head at the moment. I have been offered a very lucrative contract.

"Mike Ashley, (managing director) Derek Llambias and I, we’ve sat down and talked about taking the club forward and about reinvesting in the club in the summer.

"But I said to them that first and foremost, we have to work hard and establish ourselves as a Premier League side and get away from the relegation fight.

"I really don’t need any more distractions than that. What I suggested to the club was that we all sit down in the summer and look at each other and say what direction do we want to take the club in, refinancing it, letting players go and bringing in my own players.

"I’ll also see what my wife and family have to say about the situation of moving up here permanently."

From the Ronny:

TOON boss Joe Kinnear has revealed he has been offered a "very lucrative" deal to stay on as Newcastle United manager past the end of the season.

The former Wimbledon and Nottingham Forest chief initially arrived on a short-term deal following the resignation of Kevin Keegan in September and with owner Mike Ashley looking to sell the club.

The sportswear tycoon has since taken the Magpies off the market and given Kinnear a contract until the end of the season.

The 62-year-old has led Newcastle out of the Premier League bottom three but they are only three points clear of Tottenham in 18th place.

Kinnear told talkSPORT: "I know what my own future is. I’m just mulling over things in my head at the moment. I have been offered a very lucrative contract.

"Mike Ashley, (managing director) Derek Llambias and I, we’ve sat down and talked about taking the club forward and about reinvesting in the club in the summer.

"But I said to them that first and foremost, we have to work hard and establish ourselves as a Premier League side and get away from the relegation fight.

"I really don’t need any more distractions than that. What I suggested to the club was that we all sit down in the summer and look at each other and say what direction do we want to take the club in, refinancing it, letting players go and bringing in my own players.

"I’ll also see what my wife and family have to say about the situation of moving up here permanently."

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/8606/mooouv0.gif

Guys are really funny it is smart move from Ashley by offering him a contract. It shows stability at the club and if we survive this year we can survive anything. I don't see any problem of promising him a new contract in the summer they have a chance to change their mind in the next 4 month.

Feels a bit like Souness all over again.

Souness was more like someone running out of nowhere and smashing you in the face with a brick. This is more like someone who mugs you, beats you senseless then backs over you repeatedly with their car to make sure you're dead.

I loved Souness. He'd punch you in the face, but he'd try to make up for it with expensive gifts, and there were a few happy memories.

Kinnear has just locked me in the cellar without any food.

Bullshit. If Kinnear has an offer from us for a contract next season he would have snapped their hands off, this is the bloke who accepted the post on a month by month basis just to give himself the chance of a contract offer, why would he then not accept it when it arrived?

Total bollocks and an unwanted distraction to what matters here which is survival. Spend more time looking for signings and some tactical awareness of the opposition, and less time talking shite please Joe. Thats all i ask.

If this means Ashley is sticking around, then it's time for some long-term planning, looking forward and rebuilding. Giving Kinnear a longer contract is the antithesis of this. 

Kinnear's original appointment I could understand, as the future of the club was up in the air and he was the only man willing to take it when offered.

From the Ronny:

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/8606/mooouv0.gif

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Let's just say I noticed a big change in your style of posts when Kinnear was appointed ;)

I defended Ashley vehemently for so long that being let down feels much worse. Couple that with paying for the three years of ST money up front on the basis of the euphoria and promise of Keegan coming back and I feel like a proper mug tbh.

I gave him every chance but I don't mind admitting I was wrong.

Let's just say I noticed a big change in your style of posts when Kinnear was appointed ;)

I defended Ashley vehemently for so long that being let down feels much worse. Couple that with paying for the three years of ST money up front on the basis of the euphoria and promise of Keegan coming back and I feel like a proper mug tbh.

I don't disagree with you, and I'd feel a lot worse if I'd bought a season ticket too. I sometimes forget how much some of you invest in the club.

I'll go back to moaning about Scunny United for a bit instead ;)

Hmmmm, offering a contract without knowing for certain which league we are in next year? Sounds a bit bollocks to me. How can they offer a lucrative contract if the possibility of Championship football is on the horizon?

I imagine it is something that has been said to (a) placate Joe, and (b) make a statement to the players that Kinnear may actually be here long term, so they had better not slack off. Might be to avoid the situation where players stop playing for a manager who is leaving at the end of the season.

Hopefully.