Nicky Butt enacts one-year contract extension clause

pinkeye

At least he wants to be here. :lol:

Would you want to be here if you had been guaranteed £3m to play as a 35-year old no matter what?

Perhaps this is where the net transfer profit of £3m since Ashley has been here has gone?

did'nt MA say he would release some statement after the transfer window shut?

Well this was out of Ashley's hands. It was a binding contract that was agreed with whoever negotiated the last contract (Shepherd iirc)

Would you want to be here if you had been guaranteed £3m to play as a 35-year old no matter what?

Perhaps this is where the net transfer profit of £3m since Ashley has been here has gone?

Well this was out of Ashley's hands. It was a binding contract that was agreed with whoever negotiated the last contract (Shepherd iirc)

I don't get that though. If he was always entitled to this, why would he need to sign it? Why wouldn't it just be part of the original contract? It's classed as an extension - surely we offered that to him rather than him being entitled to it?

Guest Stephen927

I'm sure he was given a 1 year deal under Allardyce which didn't include any appearance clauses.

I think this deal was offered to him at about the same time as Harpers.

I don't get that though. If he was always entitled to this, why would he need to sign it? Why wouldn't it just be part of the original contract? It's classed as an extension - surely we offered that to him rather than him being entitled to it?

Like Kinnear said 19 games meant that Butt was entitled to a further year.

So basically we said, if you are fit enough and good enough to start at 34, you can have another year.

I'd imagine the premature offer we provided in December was some attempt to cut his wage and avoid the inevitable.

could be worse.  could have got a 2 year deal.

For this reason I genuinely am quite pleased. I was wholly expecting something longer. There's a better chance of him being dumped within 18 months, now, imo. Says something about the club that I have to find solace in this idea, mind...

Giving Joe Kinnear the job sure is paying off big time.

Is he fully signed up now?

God I hope Cashley have withdrawn the pending offer for JK(if there is one in the first place)! It's reasonably cheap to sack him now...but I wouldn't be too surprised if Kinnear signs a new contract let's say for 3 seasons and then we sack him for a huge compensation! So typical of Newcastle

How come no-one else seem to get it(except majority of Newcastle fans) that Butt is so past it and shit. I guess there could be a place for him in the team(as 2nd backup CM) if only he was on a better contract(like 15-20K a week which he's worth actually)!

To be fair to Butt he didnt look half bad when Keegan was managing the team!

Don't bother trying to make the point that he was our best outfield player in the final dozen games of last season. Nobody's listening.

I thought it had more to do with Barton, Viduka, Owen and Martins tbh.

I'm grasping at straws, but maybe having his future tied up will improve his form for the rest of this year, even if just marginally. I'd certainly hope that he won't be getting as much playing time next season, new contract or not.

how will it improve him? he should have been made to work hard until the end of the season for the extension

I'm grasping at straws, but maybe having his future tied up will improve his form for the rest of this year, even if just marginally. I'd certainly hope that he won't be getting as much playing time next season, new contract or not.

how will it improve him? he should have been made to work hard until the end of the season for the extension

Yeah, I don't know. I'm just trying really, really hard to love my club and feel optimistic at the moment.

Guest optimistic nit

its a good thing tbh, although i'm sure some idiots would rather we had kazenga playing instead of him or something.

its a good thing tbh, although i'm sure some idiots would rather we had kazenga playing instead of him or something.

It's a good thing that our 5th best central midfielder is starting and picking up £3m next year regardless of the division we are in?

Could pick up someone at the same level as Butt for half the wages on the cheap in the summer.