Nicky Butt enacts one-year contract extension clause

pinkeye

Guest optimistic nit

its a good thing tbh, although i'm sure some idiots would rather we had kazenga playing instead of him or something.

It's a good thing that our 5th best central midfielder is starting and picking up £3m next year regardless of the division we are in?

5th best central midfielder? :lol:

yes its a good thing, he gets a much worse time from newcastle fans than he deserves, he's the only proper defensive midfielder we have, and if you want to bring wages into butt's wages are a drop in the ocean compared to smith, shola, geremi and duff combined, all who offer much less to the team than butt does (although duff is improving).

if we don't get relegated he'll be a useful squad player next season, baring in mind we really could do with not having to replace a central midfielder when we lose owen and viduka.

if we do get relegated butt will still play for us when a lot of other players may jump ship.

Says everything you need to know about the Ashley setup. c***s

Like I said, this has nothing to do with Ashley. Butt's contract entitled him to another year if he wanted it.

the fact that there's a place in the squad at all for Nicky Butt IS Ashley's fault

Guest Stephen927

To be fair to Butt he didnt look half bad when Keegan was managing the team!

Thats the point I'm making, he doesn't look bad in a 4-3-3 because he has two centre mids ahead of him doing his running while he just sits and sprays balls about the place.

To be fair to Butt he didnt look half bad when Keegan was managing the team!

Don't bother trying to make the point that he was our best outfield player in the final dozen games of last season. Nobody's listening.

I thought it had more to do with Barton, Viduka, Owen and Martins tbh.

:thup: he's been horrific this season. simply can't play well in a 4-4-2 and needs extra legs around him to even put in an adequate performance.  last season when him and geremi were together butt was forced to take something of a 'free' role because he didnt have the legs to track runners from the opposition team.

Guest Howaythetoon

I do respect him, at one point his NUFC career was over but he came back even though he didn't really want to be here, and fought hard to get into the team and to win over fans, which he did. He's been a model pro since then and I admire and respect him for that, his character and professionalism. I don't admire what little ability he has or enjoy seeing him in the team but he's someone I respect as a pro. The rest haven't done anything to warrant such respect or been here long enough.

I do respect him, at one point his NUFC career was over but he came back even though he didn't really want to be here, and fought hard to get into the team and to win over fans, which he did. He's been a model pro since then and I admire and respect him for that, his character and professionalism. I don't admire what little ability he has or enjoy seeing him in the team but he's someone I respect as a pro. The rest haven't done anything to warrant such respect or been here long enough.

Lost all respect for him today though, seeing how it would appear that he's decided to dig deep and pocket his £3m.

Those posting do know this extensionwas activated as he played 14 games so really blame who offered him that not jfk.

Have you even read the thread or even the title, it has been made quite clear this is the case by James.

It was activated after 19 league appearances, he's made 20.

Shola Ameobi. Been here his entire career, has played on numerous occasions when injured, always happy to fight for his place, turned down moves to other clubs because of his love for the toon.

;)

I'm more than happy to retain Butt as a squad player.

The sad thing is, you know he'll still be in our lineup every week this time next year.

Think he'd be a decent player if he wasn't playing 90 minutes every game.

Guest sicko2ndbest

A good deal if the following things happen

- He is on reduced wages

- He is not first choice next season

It will be interesting what JK does when Nolan, Barton and Butt are fit!

Guest Sniffer

He'd be a better player if he had somebody alongside him in midfield to lay the ball off to after he's won it. Like at manu. He was never a passer as he has to be in our midfield where players actually give him the ball.

Guest Heneage

Those posting do know this extensionwas activated as he played 14 games so really blame who offered him that not jfk.

Have you even read the thread or even the title, it has been made quite clear this is the case by James.

It was activated after 19 league appearances, he's made 20.

Giving Joe Kinnear the job sure is paying off big time.

Ergo my point.

You've got to laugh. People were crying yesterday that we don't have enough bodies in the middle of the park yet they'd happily let go of Butt. Yes I know it's Nicky Butt and come the end of the season I'll be the first to offer Chauffeuring services around the country so long as he fucks off, but right now we need him simple as that.

You've got to laugh. People were crying yesterday that we don't have enough bodies in the middle of the park yet they'd happily let go of Butt. Yes I know it's Nicky Butt and come the end of the season I'll be the first to offer Chauffeuring services around the country so long as he fucks off, but right now we need him simple as that.

Was someone in for him like? ???

Isnt the problem/despair now that this extension keeps him here into next season  :undecided: