Nicky Butt enacts one-year contract extension clause

pinkeye

You've got to laugh. People were crying yesterday that we don't have enough bodies in the middle of the park yet they'd happily let go of Butt. Yes I know it's Nicky Butt and come the end of the season I'll be the first to offer Chauffeuring services around the country so long as he f***s off, but right now we need him simple as that.

Was someone in for him like? ???

You big pedant, I meant the end of next season.

Come on read between the lines.

:laugh:

You've got to laugh. People were crying yesterday that we don't have enough bodies in the middle of the park yet they'd happily let go of Butt. Yes I know it's Nicky Butt and come the end of the season I'll be the first to offer Chauffeuring services around the country so long as he fucks off, but right now we need him simple as that.

Isnt the problem/despair now that this extension keeps him here into next season  :undecided:

Think the despair is that as long as things remain the way they are, he'll still be first choice.

You've got to laugh. People were crying yesterday that we don't have enough bodies in the middle of the park yet they'd happily let go of Butt. Yes I know it's Nicky Butt and come the end of the season I'll be the first to offer Chauffeuring services around the country so long as he fucks off, but right now we need him simple as that.

Actually it's because we didn't sign the M'Bias or the Velosos that we are going to need Butt. That is the reason everyone is pissed off.

You've got to laugh. People were crying yesterday that we don't have enough bodies in the middle of the park yet they'd happily let go of Butt. Yes I know it's Nicky Butt and come the end of the season I'll be the first to offer Chauffeuring services around the country so long as he f***s off, but right now we need him simple as that.

I don't get your point though. Nobody wanted Butt to leave yesterday (well, unless we had brought in two replacements) did they? Nobody was in for him, so I don't know what you mean. It's the contract beyond the end of this season most people with a brain are disappointed with.

Actually it's because we didn't sign the M'Bias or the Velosos that we are going to need Butt. That is the reason everyone is pissed off.

Aye because the pair of them would willingly move away from their European challanging clubs to a Premier Leage club fighting relegation.

Yeah we need a replacement but it's going to be no where near the quality of those two.

Guest Sniffer

Not sure who is doing the contracting but it makes more sense to sign Butt for one more year, probably as a squad player, than it does to sign ameobi to three years.

We are essentially being forced to give over 50% of Given's estimated transfer fee to keep a 35 year old Nicky Butt at the club next season. If we stay up, he's not good enough, if we go down it is a crippling waste of resources when we should give youth a chance.

Aye because the pair of them would willingly move away from their European challanging clubs to a Premier Leage club fighting relegation.

Yeah we need a replacement but it's going to be no where near the quality of those two.

These are players that Joe himself said we were after, in fact he was publicly debating whether to spend £10million on M'Bia after for some reason bidding £4million. There's a huge gulf between 34yr old Nicky Butt and those two. I'm pretty sure that we could come up with an alternative to Butt for the right money if we were really interested in doing it rather than chasing pie in the sky targets like Veloso or Kieron Richardson.

I don't get your point though. Nobody wanted Butt to leave yesterday (well, unless we had brought in two replacements) did they? Nobody was in for him, so I don't know what you mean. It's the contract beyond the end of this season most people with a brain are disappointed with.

I do realise my opening point is quite badly worded and generally confusing now I've re-read it, I didn't get my point across.

We need desperately need a replacement in the summer, in fact two would be cracking but supposing that doesn't happen. Or say we only sign one but he gets crocked. Not only would it be a massive cross in the column for who ever is now recruiting players but more importantly it would leave us up shit creak without a paddle. For now he should serve as a back up.

People rightly whinge about him staying on and personally I'm not thrilled about it yesterday but today highlighted our lack of central midfielders, our need for more and also our hesitancy in the transfer market. It sounds we'll try to get a couple more in but supposing that doesn't happen? Get the replacements in first then kick Butt's arse as far away from this club as we can.

These are players that Joe himself said we were after, in fact he was publicly debating whether to spend £10million on M'Bia after for some reason bidding £4million. There's a huge gulf between 34yr old Nicky Butt and those two. I'm pretty sure that we could come up with an alternative to Butt for the right money if we were really interested in doing it rather than chasing pie in the sky targets like Veloso or Kieron Richardson.

Agreed but you did specifically name them in your post, now I'm being a pedant.

:-X

Guest Sniffer

Given our midfield now, injury free, Butt wouldn't be first choice or even second choice. I doubt if he'll be much more than a squad player next season which is OK providing we don't expect him to start spraying passes around. There are others that I'd get rid of before Butt tbh.

Given our midfield now, injury free, Butt wouldn't be first choice or even second choice. I doubt if he'll be much more than a squad player next season which is OK providing we don't expect him to start spraying passes around. There are others that I'd get rid of before Butt tbh.

We only really have Barton, Guthrie, and Nolan in there ahead of Butt. That's only three players.

I'd prefer around 12.

We only really have Barton, Guthrie, and Nolan in there ahead of Butt. That's only three players.

I'd prefer around 12.

Don't forget Gezza.

Guest Sniffer

I'd prefer around 12.

As I said, that would make him third choice as you'd start two out of those three and then the other one if there was an injury. I don't even consider geremi.

Joke.

Not at all suprised though, when you have a neanderthal like Kinnear in charge he's not Nicky Butt, he's Nicky "Champions League winner" Butt.  He won all those trophies with Man Utd, so he must be great.

Read the thread, Butt would have signed this deal Kinnear or no Kinnear.

:rolleyes:

Newcastle buoyed by Butt's contract deal

Newcastle United's failure to sign Manchester City's Michael Johnson or Sunderland's Kieran Richardson has persuaded the midfielder Nicky Butt to sign a one-year contract extension. The 34-year-old former England international had initially delayed signing the new deal which will probably see him end his playing career at St James' Park. But his decision to commit to the club has gone some way to relieving the disappointment of another frustrating transfer window at Newcastle.

"I'm delighted to have Butty on board for another year," Joe Kinnear, the Newcastle manager, said. "He's a great lad and has plenty of experience, which we need at the minute. He's been raised the right way in the game and we'll certainly benefit from having him around."

Kinnear had wanted to add at least four players to his squad, but was only able to sign Kevin Nolan, Ryan Taylor and Peter Lovenkrands, with Shay Given and Charles N'Zogbia leaving for Manchester City and Wigan Athletic respectively.

Newcastle ended the month with a profit of £7.6m following the sale of Given and N'Zogbia and Kinnear admitted he had been "disappointed" with the failure to bring more players in. However, the Newcastle first team will be boosted ahead of the crucial relegation battle with West Bromwich Albion by the return from injury of Obafemi Martins, Alan Smith and Mark Viduka.

Kinnear said: "It gives us a bit more firepower for West Brom. I know it's an old cliché, but it will be like having three new players back. Of course, we were desperately disappointed not to come away with more new signings, but myself and Mike Ashley worked hard throughout the day to try to make it happen.

"But in welcoming back Oba, Viduka and Smithy we have three fresh faces to pick from. I have been unable to pick Smithy so far since coming in as manager and I'm delighted to get the opportunity to do so now."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/feb/03/newcastle-united-nicky-butt-joe-kinnear

• 3 weeks later...

Fair play to Nicky today, he played his heart out.

It wasn't very good, but he gave his best.  He did what he had to do with Nolan gone, and made some nice passes and crucial interceptions.  Even robbed a player or two.

It doesn't make him good enough, and I still don't think he should be anywhere near our starting line up.

But he deserves a pat on the back for today.

Always has decent matches after he's had a 2 week break. Really just shows that he's not a player that should be playing the full 90 minutes.

How would Scholes be faring right now if Man Utd forced him to play full time every week?