Joe Kinnear has triple heart bypass surgery, home on Sunday

JH

We might as well make a hail mary punt for the likes of Sven or Scolari. No chance but asking can't hurt.

Terim or Deschamps would bring some much-needed class here but I have no idea how realistic they are.

Bruce or Curbishley are obvious choices if we're going for the safe option.

Martinez, Bothroyd, or even Ketsbaia if we're into rolling the dice.

My personal bet? Shearer. Because everything at this club must be absolutely fucking mental. It's the law you know.

I remember when Birmingham said that they approached Lippi to become their manager, i choked on my cornflakes that morning i tell you.

Shearer would be a masterstroke, the sheer aura of signing him would lift the club and to safety this season and he would have time to see the players in perfect time for the summer. However, the relationship between the owners would be a disaster.

Guest toonlass

Hope Joe gets better soon. We need someone brought in pretty damn sharpish, because if Joe comes back before the end of the season it will be well against any doctors orders.

If Portsmouth go for Sven, it'd be comical for us to turn to Venables, who isn't all that good and has already turned us down, or Poyet. Surely we are more attractive than Pompey, even with everything that's been going on?

Yes we are but i worry that the hierarchy at our club doesn't have a clue on footballing matters. Poyet or some other Spurs/Cockney related manager, would be the most likely outcome.

Redknapp?

If he wasn't at Spuds he's precisely the manager we would/did go for.

Poor old Joe. Despite his shortcomings, he's a resilient fighter, and this just goes to show that it's too tough a job. Putting things into perspective, one has to say, there are things that are more important than football in life.

Get well soon fella.

We must move for the likes of Bob Martinez NOW!!

We might as well make a hail mary punt for the likes of Sven or Scolari. No chance but asking can't hurt.

Terim or Deschamps would bring some much-needed class here but I have no idea how realistic they are.

Bruce or Curbishley are obvious choices if we're going for the safe option.

Martinez, Bothroyd, or even Ketsbaia if we're into rolling the dice.

My personal bet? Shearer. Because everything at this club must be absolutely fucking mental. It's the law you know.

I remember when Birmingham said that they approached Lippi to become their manager, i choked on my cornflakes that morning i tell you.

Shearer would be a masterstroke, the sheer aura of signing him would lift the club and to safety this season and he would have time to see the players in perfect time for the summer. However, the relationship between the owners would be a disaster.

Shearer has burned his bridges with the owners, and since no one else is willling to invest in the club that means he isn't available to take up the reins. Scolari would be fantastic, but again he isn't used to working with small budgets. Martinez would be worth a go for me.

Why can't they just (gasp) get someone who's actually qualified for the job?

Because no manager worth his salt wants to work under the system Ashley has in place, we're stuck with him and he's stuck with the club.

If Llambias is to be believed(:rolleyes:), Dennis Wise is apparently glorified head scout and chief negotiator. Don't see why anyone would have a problem with that.

Even given the scenario where he's lying through his teeth and the "evil dwarf" actually has  control of anything, pretty much every manager who's ever managed in Italy of Spain has worked under that structure.

The structure won't be an issue when finding a new manager. The fact that we're in deep shit with no money to spend might be.

I'm hoping Joe gets better soon. This is a great opportunity for us to get a good manager in place for a good few years.

If I was Ashley, I'd be looking at (in priority order):

1- Bruce

2- Deschamps

3- Hodgson

4- Shearer

5- Martinez

6- Phil Brown

No Phil Brown please. The man's insane.

He's like a younger, mackem version of Joe Kinnear.

Christ! They did offer Kinnear a 2 and a half year contract. Get well Joe but please don't sign that contract!

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/02/11/man-of-mystery-or-an-open-book-61634-22901496/

It started with an apology for failing to communicate properly, a promise to improve public relations as part of a new approach to running the club, and it ended with an explanation as to why they had offered Joe Kinnear a two-and-a-half year contract when he was supposed to have only been a temporary appointment.

Why can't they just (gasp) get someone who's actually qualified for the job?

Because no manager worth his salt wants to work under the system Ashley has in place, we're stuck with him and he's stuck with the club.

If Llambias is to be believed(:rolleyes:), Dennis Wise is apparently glorified head scout and chief negotiator. Don't see why anyone would have a problem with that.

Even given the scenario where he's lying through his teeth and the "evil dwarf" actually has  control of anything, pretty much every manager who's ever managed in Italy of Spain has worked under that structure.

The structure won't be an issue when finding a new manager. The fact that we're in deep shit with no money to spend might be.

Wenger, Robson and Ferguson have all come out and said they wouldn't work under a system like the one it appears we have in place (if they've got the wrong end of the stick or not we don't really know, because when the club breaks its stony silence about what the system actually is it talks in contradictory riddles).  I don't think there's much doubt that this 'system' has seriously narrowed our options at a time when we're not exactly going to be beating managers off with a shitty stick anyway.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/02/11/heart-op-could-leave-kinnear-out-for-season-72703-22904434/

Joe Kinnear set to have heart bypass operation

Feb 11 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE United must continue their fight for Premier League survival without manager Joe Kinnear.

The Toon boss has been told he must have a heart bypass operation this week meaning he will miss a significant chunk of the remainder of the season.

Kinnear had vowed to be back in the dugout for the game with Everton on February 22, but after being admitted to Great Hope hospital in the West Midlands on Saturday morning, the United gaffer has been over-ruled by doctors who will insist on two months’ complete rest after surgery.

Assistant coaches Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood have been put in charge of first team affairs until further notice.

The pair are likely to remain in charge for the last 13 games of the season – unless United slip into serious trouble with such a scenario certain to prompt the appointment of an experienced manager.

Mike Ashley originally went for ex-England manager Terry Venables in September in the aftermath of Keegangate before eventually turning to Kinnear after El Tel was put off by the idea of a short-term contract.

Hughton has looked after the first team on a number of occasions this season at Newcastle and at his old club Tottenham in caretaker capacity while is the more experienced of the pair in terms of frontline management having bossed Nottingham Forest and Northampton Town at lower league level.

However, the 44-year-old was dismissed as boss at the City Ground in December as Forest struggled despite leading them to promotion to the Championship in 2007.

Calderwood has been concerned over Kinnear’s health but led the reserves to a 5-0 win over Wigan on Monday night.

And he revealed his desire to help Newcastle get out of the mire following a defeat, a draw and a win since his input as coach.

He said today: “I’m thoroughly enjoying myself. It’s been refreshing and very appetising. I’ve found something I’ve really enjoyed doing.

“Sometimes it’s not just the environment you walk into, it’s the people you meet. I’m glad to be here, and it’s given me a lift as much as anything else.”

Other managers to have suffered heart problems in the game are ex-United chief Graeme Souness who required a triple heart bypass operation in 1992 which meant he missed a large chunk of the 91/92 campaign with Liverpool.

Souness did return for the FA Cup final win over Sunderland but had the benefit of pre-season to rest before returning to full-time management the following August.

And another ex-Kop boss Gerard Houllier also missed five months of the 2001/02 season after falling ill at half-time of Liverpool’s 2-1 loss against Leeds before undergoing an 11-hour operation after he suffered a dissected aorta.

Managing Director Derek Llambias was set to visit Kinnear in hospital today.