Pre Match: Newcastle United vs Everton - see OP for N-O podcast!

joeyt

hes bloody crap thats what he is.

one of the poorest players in the prem!

Agreed, I guess our coaches just value experience over actual talent. Hence him being vice-captain (or sharing it with Owen, whatever), and thus likely to start games.

Guest battyleespeed

Despite being one of the best in terms of quality Jonas isn't the right player for NUFC at the moment, and should play from the bench. Same goes for Martins. Attack should be built around Lovenkrands.

LOL  :aww:

I'm being serious, Jonas plays from too deep to effectively link up with Lovenkrands, and has little end product to compensate.

You're talking like we have options. And you honestly think we should play Martins from the Bench?

Lovenkrands subject to maintaining West Brom form is an upgrade on Martins imho.

You're almost always completely wrong.

Sorry, but saying Lovenkrands is better than Martins because he scored a rebounded goal against West Brom is a bit daft to be honest. Same with the Jonas comment, he's going to be crucial to us staying up based on the mayhem and forward movement he causes alone.

I'd say he was better for the current NUFC team even if he hadn't scored.

Different players are good for differen types of teams, and I think Lovenkrands is raising  the game of the five midfielders/attackers surrounding him, making him better for the team we've got. Martins is a complete individual, and Jonas is more suited to a different type of team. I'd love to spend time explaining myself, but I'm getting ready to go out. Someone PM me in 24 hrs if I haven't produced an uber-post on this.

Excellent points there. Although I'd rather keep Jonas in starting eleven for his industry and direct running you are right about Lovenkrads. Intelligent off-the-ball movement/runs from forwards will open space for others to exploit especially if the forward is unselfish and is purposedly forcing defenders wide. I'm not a huge fan of Owen's much-appraised movement as he is usually only looking for the killer ball that would release him 1-on-1 with the keeper. He isn't actually creating space for others.

Nolan has 10 yellows but isn't on the suspension list, so who knows if he'll be involved. Assuming he is involved and there are no training injuries, I expect:

Harper, S Taylor, Colo, Bassong, Enrique, R Taylor, Butt, Nolan, Duff, Shola, Lovenkrands

Subs: Jonas, Martins, Viduka, Smith, Geremi, Cacapa, Krul/Forster.

Reasons:

Hughton will spout something about not wanting to change a winning team, so Jonas will get stuck on the bench.

He can say Martins/Viduka (& Smith..) lack match fitness

Duff & Butt are the coaching staff's love children

S Taylor is a Geordie, y'na

Only change from that I can see happening is R Taylor for Enrique and Jonas in on the right. Which is ridiculous on Enrique. I'd prefer we went for the sensible option of Ryan at right back, Jonas right wing (swapping with Duff after 5 minutes as usual) and Steven Taylor on the bench, but there's an argument that S Taylor has done well enough at right back to keep his place. But I'd also prefer it if Duff wasn't undroppable, ho-hum.

Nolan has 10 yellows but isn't on the suspension list, so who knows if he'll be involved. Assuming he is involved and there are no training injuries, I expect:

Harper, S Taylor, Colo, Bassong, Enrique, R Taylor, Butt, Nolan, Duff, Shola, Lovenkrands

Reasons:

Hughton will spout something about not wanting to change a winning team, so Jonas will get stuck on the bench.

Have to agree with this although after jonas's performance for the Argies how could we possibly drop him?! I think he should come in for J.Taylor on the right.

Reasons:

Only change from that I can see happening is R Taylor for Enrique and Jonas in on the right. Which is ridiculous on Enrique. I'd prefer we went for the sensible option of Ryan at right back, Jonas right wing (swapping with Duff after 5 minutes as usual) and Steven Taylor on the bench, but there's an argument that S Taylor has done well enough at right back to keep his place. But I'd also prefer it if Duff wasn't undroppable, ho-hum.

to be fair to Duff, I reckon he produced his best performance for us since signing against West Brom, no doubt he'll be crap in this game but it would be unfair not to give him the chance.

If you want to manage you have to make tough decisions:

Shola is crap and should be replaced by Oba

Steven Taylor out and Ryan in his place

Jonas on the right wing

I hope I am right but lets see... Don't know about hughton as manager?

Jonas on the right wing

fuckin hell is there a person on the planet who wouldn't make those changes?

Jonas on the right wing

:sadnod:

Thing is, nothing surprises me any more... You would think any manager would do the blatantly obvious, I thinks the only contestable decision from my previous post would be the fact that steven taylor "hasn't done bad" playing on the right, hasn't been great either in my opinion and I also think that R taylor would be a step up.

Things will get difficult when beye, barton & guthrie are also back... interesting?

Jonas on the right wing

Me. Jonas and Enrique need to be kept together on the left, and Raylor is there for set pieces, so it wouldn't be smart to take out our most dangerous man in the air(Saylor). Raylor RW and Saylor RB.

But what do you do with Duff? He did play well the other day and he seems to give 100% and lead the other players a little...

I drop him...... into the north sea with a breezeblock tied to his feet.

------------------Harper------------------

Saylor--Coloccini--Bassong--Enrique

Raylor----Butt-----Nolan----Gutierrez

--------Lovenkrands--Martins---------

Duff can be our not-so-super sub.

But what do you do with Duff? He did play well the other day and he seems to give 100% and lead the other players a little...

I drop him...... into the north sea with a breezeblock tied to his feet.

------------------Harper------------------

Saylor--Coloccini--Bassong--Enrique

Raylor----Butt-----Nolan----Gutierrez

--------Lovenkrands--Martins---------

Duff can be our not-so-super sub.

Fair enough! Doesn't seem to bad a team and Rtaylor will give added bite to midfield.

Everton are playing well but notoriously don't perform up here so I think we could well get something from the game.

If we can keep Jagielka's hands full and make sure Cahill is shackled in the air that's half the battle. Then it's up to the defence to make sure they don't give away any silly set pieces and keep space down to a minimum.

Everton are playing well but notoriously don't perform up here so I think we could well get something from the game.

If we can keep Jagielka's hands full and make sure Cahill is shackled in the air that's half the battle. Then it's up to the defence to make sure they don't give away any silly set pieces and keep space down to a minimum.

Consider us half-won then because Cahill is suspended

A bit of positive news at least, there again I forgot Jo even played for them until about two minutes ago.

:lol:

Nolan has 10 yellows but isn't on the suspension list, so who knows if he'll be involved.

Clarification of Kevin Nolan's availability has now been obtained - the midfielder having served a two-match ban while at Bolton on January after reaching ten bookings.

That made his yellow card at West Brom the 11th of the season, putting him four away from a three-match ban. However, one of those ten yellows picked up at Bolton failed to appear in the Premier League match stats, leading to suggestions that one at West Brom meant he'd now reached ten and triggered the automatic two gamer.

He can play.

That's a quarter won, actually.