Newcastle vs Man Utd - Wednesday 4th March

Decky

I think some of you are giving Ferguson too much credit. If he has the opportunity to twist the blade on us, he'll do it. Remember the 6-2 home loss and him pointing his finger up at his strikers telling them that he wanted ANOTHER goal (after 6!). He rested players from the league cup final for OUR game. He will put out a full strength XI and try to run up his goal difference as high as possible and use us as a message to the league. ... at least that is his plan.

When our players actually show true spirit and the supporters stay behind the team we get a result here. I don't really care what the score, is but I want thsoe two things - effort and support. If we have them then we have a good chance at minimising the damage. BTW - for me real caring about this game/ showing spirit means treating this as the Derby game on steriods... if you can't beat them by using skill then bashing the f*ck out of them and, if need be, getting carded or even sent off for the cause. I want real determination and anger that would scare and frighten them.

Such a small thing to ask and I know I wont get it.

I think some of you are giving Ferguson too much credit. If he has the opportunity to twist the blade on us, he'll do it. Remember the 6-2 home loss and him pointing his finger up at his strikers telling them that he wanted ANOTHER goal (after 6!). He rested players from the league cup final for OUR game. He will put out a full strength XI and try to run up his goal difference as high as possible and use us as a message to the league. ... at least that is his plan.

When our players actually show true spirit and the supporters stay behind the team we get a result here. I don't really care what the score, is but I want thsoe two things - effort and support. If we have them then we have a good chance at minimising the damage. BTW - for me real caring about this game/ showing spirit means treating this as the Derby game on steriods... if you can't beat them by using skill then bashing the f*ck out of them and, if need be, getting carded or even sent off for the cause. I want real determination and anger that would scare and frighten them.

wasn't that the game when we were challenging them for the title, a win for us would have meant we were still in it?  that was a clear message, he doesn't need one against us this time imo, just the points

Aye that would really help our run in... :kinnear:

--------------------Harper------------

----Raylor--------Colo---Bassong------Jose--

----Jonas----Geremi--Lovenkrands-Smith--Duff--

------------------------------Viduka--------

A point would be a great result so we need someone to be able to throw the ball up to and can hold it, that's Viduka. Try and fill the midfield so we can keep a bit of control in there and just hope the defence holds up. If we have Steven Taylor in the back we will lose as they will have the run of that side of the pitch.

Carling Cup hangover for them and it will be about 3-0 oops I mean 0-3

-----------------Harper

Tay-------Colo-----------Bass-------Jose

------------------Butt

Jonas------------------------------Loven

---------Tay------------Smith

------------------Oba

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/03/02/hughton-defends-martins-decision-61634-23039944/2/

To make matters worse for the Magpies, two of their most experienced players will miss the Man United game. Damien Duff did not figure against Bolton because of a calf injury and Nicky Butt fears he has damaged his medial knee ligaments, and could be out of action for up to six weeks.

Harper

Taylor  Colocini  Bassong Enrique

Cacapa  Edgar Taylor

Smith                        Geremi

Viduka

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/03/02/hughton-defends-martins-decision-61634-23039944/2/

To make matters worse for the Magpies, two of their most experienced players will miss the Man United game. Damien Duff did not figure against Bolton because of a calf injury and Nicky Butt fears he has damaged his medial knee ligaments, and could be out of action for up to six weeks.

I never thought I'd be gutted to see but get injured,  I can't see that Geremi is going to have the legs to dominate a Man U midfield.  We have to give some youngsters a shot, we are going to get beat anyway but at least if we play youngseters theyll give 100% and we might not lose 6-0.

THats more like good news

Harper

Cacapa  Edgar Taylor

Viduka

is that supposed to be a fucking joke?

Harper

Cacapa  Edgar Taylor

Viduka

is that supposed to be a f***ing joke?

May as well play 7 at the back we'll get destroyed anyway, might as well just put 9 men on the line tbh.

The result of this one is probably beyond doubt, Hughton has a difficult job to cushion the impact of a potential hammering while still getting the players up for the game.

Not sure what we can hope for, even asking for 'commitment' won't be enough, Man Utd have that in spades and will still probably out-compete us.

Just hope it isn't a complete hammering, and nobody gets sent off and banned.

Harper

Cacapa  Edgar Taylor

Viduka

is that supposed to be a fucking joke?

you got it!!!

I was hoping Butt would be fit for this but not looking good, jesus how bad is that having to hope Butt is fit.

------------------Harper

Tay-------Colo------------Bass------Jose

------------------Smith

--Jonas---------------------------Loven

---------Tay--------------Gere

------------------Oba

We've got an entire midfield out injured - Nicky Butt, Danny Guthrie, Joey Barton and Kevin Nolan.

The way the team's playing doubt it will make much difference though, in the past we've often raised our game against the top teams, don't see that happening this time. Going to be a slaughter without divine intervention.

Butt thinks he's got medial ligament damage to his knee according to the Chronicle, 6 weeks out if it is the case. Having said that I've no idea of Butt's ability as a doctor. So err...Smith and Geremi in midfield :lol: Ryan on the right, Jonas on the left. Wouldn't be too shocked for him to leave Lovelyhands on the right and Taylor in the centre, which will at least mean no Smith. Martins and Viduka (more likely Shola?) up front. Urgh. Only positive I can see is that Scholes played 120 minutes on Sunday and will hopefully be too knackered to score his obligatory hat trick.

I was hoping Butt would be fit for this but not looking good, jesus how bad is that having to hope Butt is fit.

------------------Harper

------------------Smith

------------------Oba

Really?

Why wouldn't you play Löven further up the pitch than Geremi? Same goes for Jonas and R.Taylor? And why wouldn't you just line them up in a conventional 4-4-2 and have them playing in their natural positions (debatable for Smith and Geremi, but they are as close to CMs we can get now)?

Harper

S.Taylor Colo Bassong Enrique

R.Taylor Geremi Smith Jonas

Martins Lövenkrands

------------------Harper

------------------Smith

------------------Oba

Really?

Why wouldn't you play Löven further up the pitch than Geremi? Same goes for Jonas and R.Taylor? And why wouldn't you just line them up in a conventional 4-4-2 and have them playing in their natural positions (debatable for Smith and Geremi, but they are as close to CMs we can get now)?

Harper

S.Taylor Colo Bassong Enrique

R.Taylor Geremi Smith Jonas

Martins Lövenkrands

Energy and end product is why I set em up like that, Geremi is to slow to cover a lot of ground, up top though he can provide quality, Taylor further up as he has a decent shot on him and can cross, let Jonas and Loven do the leg work.

Hoping for the same type of performance we put in against Arsenal at SJP last season. I just can't see it however. If we can come out of the game with a bit of pride then it will be a big boost for us in my opinion.