U23s & Academy

Skirge

Thursday: Newcastle 2-1 Congo U17s

Playing on a synthetic surface proved to be no obstacle to United, who took the lead in Strettoia on the half hour through Alex Gilliead who had linked up with the squad after his recent England appearances in Portugal.

Congo then levelled just before the interval through Andzouana but Greg Olley scored what proved to be the Magpies' winner just two minutes into the second half.

Guest Craig-NUFC

Adam Campbell ‏@adamcampbell_

Can't believe someone from Empoli U20s actually spat in my face after the game today, never been so angry in my life

This is my mates match report from last night at Palace.

Mine was pretty good.....  Turned up late, ticket office closed, turnstiles closed, stewards wouldn't let us in.....

Wandered around, saw 2 blokes having a chat by the reception, asked if there was any way of getting in, bloke turned round & said "yes sir, no problem, ask that guy there & he'll let you in.... Tell him I'll be back in

5 minutes"

Straight away I saw it was "Mad-Dog" Martin Allen, doing some scouting in his Gillingham jacket.

Ushered through to the Directors Box & a nice comfy seat!  £8 off my Moscow visa bill!!

Not very tall, but still looks fit enough to play & sort a few out...

Of our lads, Campbell is miles ahead in terms of quality & brain.  You just worry about his height.  I wandered down to the 'tunnel' area in the corner at the end and he really is a midget.

Gosling looked distinctly average, but must be rusty - you hope anyways.

Tavernier was poor, Ferguson didn't

stand out, Amalfitano has a nice touch but won't play top level. Didn't see enough of Streete to really comment.

Aarons took his goal really well, but generally didn't look too hot, but is younger than the rest.  Liked the look of Miele in midfield tho. Neat, tidy player...  A bit like Inman.  Mitchell in goal is a shot stopper, but he can't kick a football.

Encouraging to see us play a similar formation to the first team at least, but whether that was a one-off I don't know.

But generally, Palace are better than us, more organised than us, more professional than we are & their lads all looked up for it. Some great Croydon names on the team sheet, but you can see why they bring through a steady stream of talent.

You think Moses, Zaha & Clyne is 20m from the same youth team & they have endless supplies of local lads coming through.

And they all look & move like footballers....  Unlike our full international deputy left back & French winger.