U23s & Academy

Skirge

I've liked the look of Alex Murphy these first two friendlies. Not sure if he's good enough yet to be the 5th centre-back in the first-team squad but could get a good loan to a League 2 or maybe 1 team and get good game time you'd think. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I've liked the look of Alex Murphy these first two friendlies. Not sure if he's good enough yet to be the 5th centre-back in the first-team squad but could get a good loan to a League 2 or maybe 1 team and get good game time you'd think. 

Loan him to January and reassess, makes sense.  If we bring another CB in i'd keep Lascelles until then. Botman, Schar, New CB, Schar and Lascelles is good until then. I don't think we will get much less for Lascelles in January than we would now but Murphy could get some consistent game time before being 4th/5th CB here.

Thats discounting Krafth but who knows when he will be back and what shape he will be in. I refuse to consider Dummett being given a PL squad place.

I was thinking it'd maybe be the second half of the season we start sending people out. First-half they'll get a few games in the Papa John's Trophy against first-teams and a fair few will be playing in the Youth Champions League. Might be worth keeping them around until January. 

UEFA website says it's under 19s but can't see anything about 'players born after...' so not sure if Murphy is eligible. Could be worth keeping Kuol here though just to have a look at him for ourselves, play him in these two competitions then see where he is so we can get a suitable loan in January. Same with Miley. 

I’m hoping to see more of him  in the coming games . Honestly didn’t look out of place. Going out on loan would definitely bring him on well. It looks very promising seeing the standard of football they’re playing now so early on. You just know with the likes of him and Miley they’re gonna be more than capable of starting 1st team football in future . 

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/newcastle-united-set-to-sign-defender-while-plotting-move-for-man-united-liverpool-target-4224933

Linked previously but Leo Shahar set to sign according to the mail. Highly rated 16 year old RB from Wolves. 

https://www.wolves.co.uk/news/academy/20230309-shahar-shining-for-club-and-country/

Edited by toontownman

12 hours ago, TBG said:

Good signing.

It'll hurt More Than I Can Say, but when Trippier retires The Show Must Go On, we aren't a One Man Band

Leo Sayer?

Cool. Sort of explains why Westendorf went there now. 

Got to say I'd prefer it if we made a more formal link with Gateshead. I don't think there is a much difference in standard between the NL and the Norn Irish league and the proximity is so much closer that players don't even have to move and can even bounce between both clubs pretty freely.

3 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Cool. Sort of explains why Westendorf went there now. 

Got to say I'd prefer it if we made a more formal link with Gateshead. I don't think there is a much difference in standard between the NL and the Norn Irish league and the proximity is so much closer that players don't even have to move and can even bounce between both clubs pretty freely.

The difference is that Gateshead's academy are students from Gateshead College doing their btech, who if they were any good would be at Newcastle already. 

3 minutes ago, OCK said:

The difference is that Gateshead's academy are students from Gateshead College doing their btech, who if they were any good would be at Newcastle already. 

True. Makes sense, I suppose any link in that direction would be very one way in terms as a way to loan players out. 

I've heard many academy players are averse to going to the NL on loan, which always felt a bit of a shame. There's loads of players who have made successful careers by going out on loan to non league clubs at a young age (Pickford being the North East one which comes to mind). Obviously you want the right environment for them - which I why I think a direct partnership could facilitate that.

Edited by ponsaelius

Missed those other two additions. https://www.nufcblog.co.uk/2023/06/16/newcastle-seal-double-deal-as-two-more-teenage-talents-sign-on-tyneside-report/

Quite the influx at different youth levels. The new scouting era is all go.  Trevan Sanusi, Divine Mukasa and Leo Shahar also pending. Exciting times and I think we will see a crazy transformation quickly over the next couple of years for our youth teams.

Heard we've signed a lad from Plymouth for £1m, could be the next Rooney. Aaron Spear. You heard it here first.