U23s & Academy

Skirge

And having a former defender as reserve manager is just utterly turgid. Not just that, but he's Scottish too. He'll have as much of a philosophy about football as I have about spiders.

Needs a big clearout before we completely waste the little talent we have available in the lower ranks.

Why are you always putting down Scots?! Plenty of defenders have positive playing styles as managers too, what's that all about?

I know, that part was sort of tongue in cheek (any reasonable Scottish coaches will flee to England, for good reason). I'm just worried at the quality of youngster we are producing and how we seem to be letting a lot of them stagnate. Really worrying. His speciality is always going to be on the defensive side and would need to be backed up by a solid attacking coach (which me may or may not have).

So you're just ignoring mine and OCK's posts that contradict everything you've said?

The reserves seem to be doing pretty awfully this year. I'll trust your better judgement but if you're playing 'good football' you generally don't lose all the time. Would you say the players being taken for the first team has had a lot to do with it?

Tooj and OCk are right the reserves do play good football,  possibly too much football at times as they are encouraged to play and don't resort to hoofing it upfield but can then give it away in dangerous positions.  Unfortunately they haven't had good results but you certainly get entertaining games.  Biggest problem though is they have been decimated with injuries especially at the back.  Numerous times this season i have watched them and they have had to play the likes of Newton at centre half due to no one else being available due to injuries, loans or people in first team squad.  The likes of Satka look really promising but his age group should really be U18's this season not the U21 and a few years at that age can be massive difference physically.

And having a former defender as reserve manager is just utterly turgid. Not just that, but he's Scottish too. He'll have as much of a philosophy about football as I have about spiders.

Needs a big clearout before we completely waste the little talent we have available in the lower ranks.

Why are you always putting down Scots?! Plenty of defenders have positive playing styles as managers too, what's that all about?

I know, that part was sort of tongue in cheek (any reasonable Scottish coaches will flee to England, for good reason). I'm just worried at the quality of youngster we are producing and how we seem to be letting a lot of them stagnate. Really worrying. His speciality is always going to be on the defensive side and would need to be backed up by a solid attacking coach (which me may or may not have).

So you're just ignoring mine and OCK's posts that contradict everything you've said?

The reserves seem to be doing pretty awfully this year. I'll trust your better judgement but if you're playing 'good football' you generally don't lose all the time. Would you say the players being taken for the first team has had a lot to do with it?

It's all manner of things. You really can't judge the "reserves" solely on results, because the team make-up and opposition varies so much. I've only seen a couple of your kids' games this season, but you had many different players involved. When we played Man U U-21s they had Fletcher playing FFS.

We tend to have players playing in an age group above their own - so for example, the U-21s have a few U-19s involved, and the U-21s themselves tend to be out on loan. The team can be hit-or-miss, so what I look for is a consistent philosophy. We've been pretty good at that, but I haven't seen enough of your guys to comment.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

He was, but then got injured. I think the St. Mirran loan was to help him regain fitness and match sharpness (as well as test out that knee). Scored for them in his last game before coming back.

Newcastle United's young pros ordered to shape up or ship out

Journal Live-6 minutes ago

NEWCASTLE United have begun a major strengthening operation of their under-performing development squad – as Alan Pardew lays bare his frustration with ...

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2013/01/11/newcastle-united-s-young-pros-ordered-to-shape-up-or-ship-out-61634-32585591/

How can we really be unhappy with these players when they come into the first team when they have been given 0 opportunities to develop on loan?  It's so rare that a young player can step into a premiership team and handle it without having loan experience first.

To be fair I think the club has been trying to loan several of them but other clubs have deemed them not good enough. Mate who supports Charlton said they looked at Abeid at the start of season but didn't rate him.

How can we really be unhappy with these players when they come into the first team when they have been given 0 opportunities to develop on loan?  It's so rare that a young player can step into a premiership team and handle it without having loan experience first.

To be fair I think the club has been trying to loan several of them but other clubs have deemed them not good enough. Mate who supports Charlton said they looked at Abeid at the start of season but didn't rate him.

I have mentioned this a few times, people bang on about loans all the time forgetting that there needs to be a club at the other end that actually wants the player.

http://www.nufc.com/

Youngsters win but Remie knacked again

Result (11am KO):

Newcastle U18s  3  Manchester City U18s  2

Newcastle's U18s beat Manchester City's youngsters at Little Benton thanks to goals from Greg Olley, Adam Campbell and Jonathyn Quinn but the bad news is that central defender, Remie Streete went off injured - nobody was near him when he broke down.

Substitute Quinn scored in the 89th minute after Olley had scored in the seventh minute and Campbell had got our second after 23 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...