Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

Guest firetotheworks

I love Speed, but theres more evidence to suggest he'd be a better fitness coach than a football coach.

Why does everyone think Speed would be a good coach? He was a model pro and an excellent player but that doesn't necessarily translate.

Would smack a little of 'jobs for the boys' too.

I'm sick of having this argument  :lol:

He has the ingredients to make a good coach. Just like Shearer has the ingredients to make a good manager. Neither of them are guarenteed to succeed but there are more reasons to think they will than they wont

Jobs for the boys are a good thing if it's people that we like. However things like 'Geordie boy' Lee Clark and Terry Mac are bad even though we don't actually know what they do.

'Arry brought in a bus load of old boys at Spurs when he got the job and it seemed to work out okay there.

I think it's a plus to have people who know the club well and genuinely care about the position it is in, providing of course that they do have some idea about what they are doing.

Someone like Speed who was a top pro and a very experienced player surely couldn't do much harm as a coach alongside others. Seems like a good move to me.

I'd bring in Gary Speed

Still baffled by the appointment of Dowie mind.

I'm OK with Butt to remain.

Speed to coach Butt and or Guthrie on how to be an all round midfielder.

I'd like to see him coach either of them how to have new legs.

Guthrie's got legs, he just doesn't have any balls. He is one of those who hides in some games for me. He'll have to make an impression next season coz if he can't cut it in the Championship he's a waste of space.

I disgaree with all of that. I don't think he has an engine on him as he fades a lot in games, but he always shows and wants the ball.

He never gets beyond the forwards though, and if you are playing with a DM like Butt it's important you get into goal scoring positions now and then. It's easy to show for the ball in the centre circle, it takes a bit of drive to get in where it hurts.

Maybe that's not his game though? I'd like to see him in the holding role actually.

Possibly, although I think there's a question about whether he's a bit lightweight for that role. Did he play there for Bolton?

Why does everyone think Speed would be a good coach? He was a model pro and an excellent player but that doesn't necessarily translate.

He has the ingredients to make a good coach. Just like Shearer has the ingredients to make a good manager. Neither of them are guarenteed to succeed but there are more reasons to think they will than they wont

Would it not make more sense to surround an inexperienced manager with more experienced coaches though?

Also, why Speed in particular? Why not Solano? Why not David Batty - he was a quality little player and always seemed like a good pro when he was here.

I fully understand your argument, but I don't know why there seems to be a common concensus that he would make a good coach ans should definitely come in now. Also agree with Tooj's point.

Guest firetotheworks

Would it not make more sense to surround an inexperienced manager with more experienced coaches though?

Also, why Speed in particular? Why not Solano? Why not David Batty - he was a quality little player and always seemed like a good pro when he was here.

I fully understand your argument, but I don't know why there seems to be a common concensus that he would make a good coach ans should definitely come in now. Also agree with Tooj's point.

Batty doesnt actually enjoy football that much, football was his trade. Not even kidding.

Interesting, didn't know that. I'm sure there are loads of players that could be picked to replace him if I had the energy. My other thought was Acuna but I'm pretty sure I remember him getting done for amphetamines before he joined us?

Guest firetotheworks

Im definitely part of the get someone experienced in briggade. We cant afford to pick purely on nostalgia, a mix of experience of love for the club is whats needed. My moneys on Carver, and I think it's the right choice.

Batty doesnt actually enjoy football that much, football was his trade. Not even kidding.

Rob Lee might be worth trying. Loves the club, was part of the Keegan Revolution, and is a big mate of Shearers.  What do you think?

Guest MarkMag

Rob Lee might be worth trying. Loves the club, was part of the Keegan Revolution, and is a big mate of Shearers.  What do you think?

Would love to see Rob Lee back at the toon to be honest!

What did Keegan know in advance? 

In my opinion he's the right man, and most crucially, at the right time to unite our club.

I'll be pretty devastated, as will our club, if he's not unveiled as our permanent manager in the next week.

Speed's a proven leader to be honest, I often thought it should be he and not Shearer who captained us full time under Robson as he communicated with the other players a lot more.

Remember Speed giving Dyer a good dressing down at Anfield, then scoring the goal which helped us pull back a 2 goal deficit in the 2-2 draw during 02-03

"I have no doubt they will be back very quickly indeed."

Fair play to Fat Allardyce for that one, was expecting a snide comment on how he'd think we would be the next Leeds or something.