Stoke City 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 11/04/09 - Post match reaction from page 28

JH

Bassong was a class apart as usual (how f***ing depressing btw that by far and away our best player - even when coming back from injury - is a kid signed for a few quid and a packet of crisps from a s*** relegated French team), Edgar did well and the two subs changed the game.

Still don't think anyone deserves an 8/10.

Fair enough, I'm always kinder to certain players anyway and I'm an optimist. Carroll and Jonas obviously need to start against Spurs.

I can't get over how shit we were for an hour. Complete and utter rubbish, totally aimless.

Unfortunately, Shearer's been given a ridiculously short (near impossible) amount of time to find a formula that actually works. 4-4-2 clearly doesn't. 3-5-2 clearly doesn't either; i only saw the first half today but it was insipid and clueless. But he changed things and we came out with a result. That's why i still have faith in the guy; he had the balls on the touchline to change it.

I wish he'd been given a bit more tinker-time. It took Keegan about eight games (?) to find a working formation. Shearer's been given virtually a game, and that was Chelsea. Whilst i won't excuse the players' clear lack of determination and realisation of the actual situation we're in, it was a formation completely alien to them and it would have been pretty fortunate if it had clicked straight away.

I know it may be controversial, but I was very impressed with Stoke who showed what can be done with a squad of totally committed ordinary footballers, and fantastic backing from a crowd who really support their team.

It's no wonder their home record is so good, and I was delighted with the point we won today.

I know it may be controversial, but I was very impressed with Stoke who showed what can be done with a squad of totally committed ordinary footballers, and fantastic backing from a crowd who really support their team.

It's no wonder their home record is so good, and I was delighted with the point we won today.

We made Stoke look like Barcelona. There's being well organised and there's playing woeful opposition.

Their fans were good though, pretty loud throughout and at least they fill their ground.

I've honestly not cheered so loud in my whole NUFC supporting life than I did today, it's just a total shame we were generally shit.  I, however, feel devastated it's come to this.  We, perhaps not as fans, but as a club, deserve where we're going.  We're a fucking joke, Shearer or not.

Guest Heneage

Bassong was a class apart as usual (how f***ing depressing btw that by far and away our best player - even when coming back from injury - is a kid signed for a few quid and a packet of crisps from a s*** relegated French team), Edgar did well and the two subs changed the game.

Still don't think anyone deserves an 8/10.

You make it sound like Bassong is struggling. He is the one coping with players as if they were kids who'd won a competition, thats not depressing, that highlights how good the scouting team are, as they have picked out an Arsenal esq bargain. I think to say its depressing is just being harsh on Seb.

We made Stoke look like Barcelona. There's being well organised and there's playing woeful opposition.

Their fans were good though, pretty loud throughout and at least they fill their ground.

No we did not make them look like Barcelona. As is always with Stoke the ball was out of play then launched in. Any time they tried to be expansive with passing it fell flat on its arse, because they simply can't do that, 11 cloggers, and in Delap they have the leagues most one dimensional players.

Pleasantly surprised with Edgar today, thought he did really well and we definitely should have given Colo a rest sooner. Colo seems decent on the ball though (when he's not dallying on it), reckon he couldn't possibly be worse than Butt.

I'd really like to see us try the following formation in the next game:

Harper

Beye  Bassong  Edgar  Enrique

Colo

Nolan      Guthrie

Jonas                          Duff     

Owen

Enrique and Beye moving forward to support the attack with Colo staying back.

I feel a bit down after that game. Shearer has to try to change things for us to get out of the current mess.

As someone has said, we lacked any flair in CM, or any pace and invention up front. Trouble is, our quick strikers - Martins and Lovenkrands - now seem to be out of action and in any case have to be fitted around the undroppable Mr Owen. In CM, Guthrie often looks good, but lacks the experience (and currently the fitness) to really impose himself. Barton would make a big difference to us, but his promised comeback seems to be receding.

The players you mention as you say are out, so change is limited. The defenders that were on the pitch yesterday are the best we have atm, Nolan dropped, Jonas in, Guthrie in the middle, Shola out & AC in from the start is about as far & as much as Al could do.

still a bit boozy and there is no way i'm rifling  though old posts to see if anyone has already said this, so:

devastated shearer picked ameobi & duff, heartbroken actually, maybe he ain't got the right stuff after all?

Picking Duff was understandable, Jonas has been noticeably more sluggish in his recent matches and Shearer will have to keep him fresh somehow.

The players you mention as you say are out, so change is limited. The defenders that were on the pitch yesterday are the best we have atm, Nolan dropped, Jonas in, Guthrie in the middle, Shola out & AC in from the start is about as far & as much as Al could do.

And I am fairly happy (maybe hoping) that Shearer is trying to fit Owen into that deeper role that was more successful for him last season. Not quite sure Martins dropping out yesterday changed that so much though. Maybe he felt Carroll from the start was too little experience.  :undecided:

I am sure him and Dowie learned a bucketload yesterday though.

Probably been talked about, but it seemed like after Stoke scored Shearer said to Dowie "Who's fault was that?" and Dowie replied "Shola".

Should have been dropped at half time for Carroll.

Strange decisions by Shearer, seemed canny obvious we needed Carroll n Jonas on the pitch.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I feel a bit down after that game. Shearer has to try to change things for us to get out of the current mess.

As someone has said, we lacked any flair in CM, or any pace and invention up front. Trouble is, our quick strikers - Martins and Lovenkrands - now seem to be out of action and in any case have to be fitted around the undroppable Mr Owen. In CM, Guthrie often looks good, but lacks the experience (and currently the fitness) to really impose himself. Barton would make a big difference to us, but his promised comeback seems to be receding.

I wouldnt feel too down.

Shearer got it right yesterday imho. He went for prem experience at one of the toughest places in the league to go and come away with a point. More positives than negatives for me

+

Dropped Colo

3 at the back worked

Started Guthrie (although he was poor)

Worked well on defending set pieces apart from the obvious occasion

Took Shola off when he needed to

-

Played too many long balls (but we dont have the players to keep it short

Started with Duff (i think he would have been benched had Oba been fit) and Shola

If you watch Dowie when we concede he tells Shearer it was Sholas man s they are under no illusions about his lack of ability

That game will have taught him a lot

And I am fairly happy (maybe hoping) that Shearer is trying to fit Owen into that deeper role that was more successful for him last season. Not quite sure Martins dropping out yesterday changed that so much though. Maybe he felt Carroll from the start was too little experience:undecided:

I am sure him and Dowie learned a bucketload yesterday though.

I think so but he must play him from the start against Spurs as you could see Carroll was buzzing in the post match interviews & if confidence is this big thing they all rave about then no player will have more than AC atm.

I wouldnt feel too down.

Shearer got it right yesterday imho. He went for prem experience at one of the toughest places in the league to go and come away with a point. More positives than negatives for me

+

Dropped Colo

3 at the back worked

Started Guthrie (although he was poor)

Worked well on defending set pieces apart from the obvious occasion

Took Shola off when he needed to

-

Played too many long balls (but we dont have the players to keep it short

Started with Duff (i think he would have been benched had Oba been fit) and Shola

If you watch Dowie when we concede he tells Shearer it was Sholas man s they are under no illusions about his lack of ability

That game will have taught him a lot

Nice summing up  :thup:

I think in amongst all this we forget it was off a Duff cross that the goal came from.

From what I've read, Shearer intended to play 3-4-3 before Martins pulled out on Saturday morning.

Why didn't he play Nile Ranger instead of a struggling - and ultimately anonymous - Guthrie, and keep the system they had apparently been practising for two days?

It beggars belief that Shearer rates Ryan Taylor over Gutierrez and Shola over anyone.

Shearer was limited in his choice of player and style of player yesterday. I would have settled for a point before the game. Knowing Harper wouldn't command the 6 yard box left a huge responsibility on Edgar & Bassong. We could have been down and out  within an hour.

Win our 3 home games and we stay up, drop any points & we go down. Our central midfield is the biggest worry as we have a complete lack of pace and creativity in that area.