Mark Viduka

lovejoy

Mark Viduka committed to Premier League future at Newcastle United

By Liam FitzGibbon

May 13, 2009 Mark Viduka has spoken for the first time of his desire to remain with Newcastle United beyond this Barclays Premier League season after gaining a new lease of life under Alan Shearer.

After another largely frustrating, injury-riddled season, the former Australia captain has returned to the park and started to show his best form in recent weeks.

His man-of-the-match performance in the 3-1 win over Middlesbrough has given Magpies fans hope he could be the man to save them from relegation this season.

Viduka, who is off contract at season's end, looked certain to leave the club under former manager Joe Kinnear, possibly paving the way for a return to Australia to join the A-League.

But the 33-year-old says he now wants to remain at St James' Park and has urged the club to make new manager Shearer's caretaker role a permanent one.

"I would love to spend some more time at this club," Viduka said.

"That's my personal thing. I would love to have good times here and with Alan Shearer as a boss, this club has a lot of potential.

"I have been here for two years and we've had five managers. I would say to whoever is in charge, keep Alan for as long as he needs.

"The fans love him, he is Newcastle through and through, he is a big personality, people respect him and the players respect him."

Shearer has been strong in his support for Viduka since taking charge, both vocally and in team selections, preferring him in starting roles at times over strike partners Michael Owen and Obafemi Martins.

It's the kind of support Viduka says he did not get from Kinnear even when was struggling with injury.

"When I had problems with my Achilles, I worked hard to get back but Joe Kinnear didn't look like he wanted to use me," Viduka said.

"When Alan Shearer came in, the first thing he said to me was, 'are you up for a fight?' and I am always up for a fight. I said 'definitely.'

"I'm a massive fan of Alan's ... I admired him as a player we play the same position and when someone with his personality and what he has done in the game comes and says, 'I need you', it lifts you."

While both Viduka and Shearer's futures are still unclear, Newcastle's first priority will be preserving their place in England's top flight.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,,25473745-29437,00.html

If Shearer stays we should give him one year extention to his contract he worth it after yesterday night.

I read somewhere that he needs surgery on his achilles which will keep him out for 9 months. If that's true it's the end of his career on Tyneside.

The clue's in his username...

I would love it if a 75 year old posted on here. Based on my experience of the elderly they would probably just argue about the same thing every day and say the same things over and over and over again...

I would love it if a 75 year old posted on here. Based on my experience of the elderly they would probably just argue about the same thing every day and say the same things over and over and over again...

:lol:

33?!  :lol:

was sure he was pushing 40 the fat cunt, same age as me - feel a lot better about myself now!

You're 33!? Fucking hell.

i'll take that as sarcasm due to the username :kinnear:

not that i come across like a bairn or an old fart from my posts :lol:

Guest diddimz

:lol:

Noelie over on TT is around that age. Geordie born and bread but lives in the states now. And Rob W can't be far off....

How old is NE5?

Oh I think he was around with the Sumarians.

was sure he was pushing 40 the fat cunt, same age as me - feel a lot better about myself now!

Thought you were about 19. Honestly. (Probably due to the South Park stuff... mainly O0)

On reflection I think people are getting a little carried away with Monday night.

We played pretty well and it was a vital win but let's not forget that most people were happy to see Viduka leave before that game. Fat useless waster on far too much money was the general opinion. One good match and we need to give him a new contract? Same goes for Lovenkrands btw.

If we can somehow convince him to accept a pay as you play deal then fine, but I can't see that happening. In which case we need to move on.

Lovenkrands is probably worth a year or two as a squad player but let's not pretend he's set the world alight here because he hasn't.

If Shearer stays we should give him one year extention to his contract he worth it after yesterday night.

I read somewhere that he needs surgery on his achilles which will keep him out for 9 months. If that's true it's the end of his career on Tyneside.

That was during last Summer! The doctors decided he didn't need the surgery.

Martins, Viduka, Xisco, Lovenkrands, Carroll, Ranger will do it for me next season. I'd rather want us to spend money on the flank positions, wouldn't mind a new  goalkeeper either and of course 1-2 new MCs would be canny...

Assuming we'll want two players in each position with Cacapa, Barton, Geremi and Ameobi getting sold in the summer:

Harper/Krul

Beye/Raylor       Bassong/Colo - Saylor/Edgar - Enrique/____

Gutierrez/___  - Nolan/Guthrie - Butt/Smith      -  Duff/____

Viduka/Xisco - Martins/Love

We'll really need to do some shopping to fill in the holes, simply not acceptable that our only left winger also happens to be our backup left-back.

Thought you were about 19. Honestly. (Probably due to the South Park stuff... mainly O0)

i'll take someone thinking i'm younger than my age every day of the week, most people my age are boring cunts

Martins, Viduka, Xisco, Lovenkrands, Carroll, Ranger will do it for me next season. I'd rather want us to spend money on the flank positions, wouldn't mind a new  goalkeeper either and of course 1-2 new MCs would be canny...

Assuming we'll want two players in each position with Cacapa, Barton, Geremi and Ameobi getting sold in the summer:

Harper/Krul

We'll really need to do some shopping to fill in the holes, simply not acceptable that our only left winger also happens to be our backup left-back.

If we stay up, the team you fill above still coudln't cut it for a full season.  We need at least 1-2 strikers. A player wide-right and a defensive CM. As well as signing up 3-6 MORE squad players in my opinion.  Our squad is paper-thin still, people need to be reminded for some reason.

I said it before and I'll say it again, we shoud have always been looking at solid Championship players age range of 18-30 to fill in any SQUAD positions and be able to provide competition.  There are some really solid players I've seen in the Championship that have some pretty good passing and movement about them. 

We still need an overhaul my friends, don't forget that.

Harper/Krul

If we stay up, the team you fill above still coudln't cut it for a full season.  We need at least 1-2 strikers. A player wide-right and a defensive CM. As well as signing up 3-6 MORE squad players in my opinion.  Our squad is paper-thin still, people need to be reminded for some reason.

I said it before and I'll say it again, we shoud have always been looking at solid Championship players age range of 18-30 to fill in any SQUAD positions and be able to provide competition.  There are some really solid players I've seen in the Championship that have some pretty good passing and movement about them. 

We still need an overhaul my friends, don't forget that.

Aye, I just can't see us signing 8-10 players in the summer (even though Allardyce signed 9 players during his reign that was with Dyer and Parker getting sold for a combined ~13m). The players leaving this summer won't see us getting any money and I'll be surprised if we'll spend any more than 10m + sales.