Mark Viduka

lovejoy

Viduka mulls over offers

Premier League duo chase striker

Last updated: 5th July 2009

Former Newcastle striker Mark Viduka is weighing up offers from two Premier League clubs, according to his agent.

Viduka is looking for a new club following the expiration of his contract at St James' Park last week.

The Australian international is believed to be keen to stay in England in preparation for next summer's World Cup finals in South Africa.

Fulham have been linked with the 33-year-old and Viduka's representative, Steve Kutner, admits two Premier League sides have expressed an interest in the forward.

"Mark is mulling over two offers from two very good sides," Kutner told the Sunday Sun.

"His reason in continuing to play on at the top level in England is to make sure he is there in South Africa. He's feeling fit again and he's hungry."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5415636,00.html

He's a good player when fit but no longer has anything like the mobility required to be a genuine goal threat

still has enough (when completely fit) to be a good target man. Doubt many of the top 10 sides will want him though

If you have to put 'when fit' alongside an assessment of a potential signing that should be code for 'don't go near him under any circumstances'.

Can't believe teams are so desperate or naive they will sign players with fitness records like Owen and Viduka.

Viduka will perform next season for whoever signs him. He wants to go to the World Cup so wants games and wants to impress (reminds me of another Toon player just out of contract).

Thats the way it is with these people. Viduka was excellent in his last season at Boro because he knew he was coming out of contract and needed to put himself in the shop window for a big fat contract. Our big fat manager and our big fat chairman duly offered him one. The only reason he stirred his arse at all towards the end of last season was to try and get another contract and also to show he was fit for the World Cup. Anyone remember Craig Moore? Similar situation - he was invisible and injured for ages after joining us. But when the World Cup 2006 beckoned lo and behold Moore turned up fit in January, put in some decent performances and got himself in the Aussie squad. 

Viduka will perform next season for whoever signs him. He wants to go to the World Cup so wants games and wants to impress (reminds me of another Toon player just out of contract).

Thats the way it is with these people. Viduka was excellent in his last season at Boro because he knew he was coming out of contract and needed to put himself in the shop window for a big fat contract. Our big fat manager and our big fat chairman duly offered him one. The only reason he stirred his arse at all towards the end of last season was to try and get another contract and also to show he was fit for the World Cup. Anyone remember Craig Moore? Similar situation - he was invisible and injured for ages after joining us. But when the World Cup 2006 beckoned lo and behold Moore turned up fit in January, put in some decent performances and got himself in the Aussie squad.  

If Viduka wants to play in the World Cup so much, how come he hasn't played for Australia since the 2007 Asian Cup? Pim Verbeek has all but begged him to commit, and yet he hasn't - because he really isn't that fussed. A friend of Viduka's told me the big man was seriously contemplating retiring after the recently-concluded season...

it was March 2006 when Moore returned to action

Viduka and Moore has their places in the Aussie squad sewn up long before then to be honest

Yes - you are right it was March and not January. If you don't think that Moore's motivation for putting in some performances was anything to do with trying to get some match time and impress Hiddinck so be it. But I do - he was utter gash the following season on the few occasions that he got on the pitch for us.

As for Viduka wherever he has played there have been question marks over his attitude and commitment. And I think he will perform next season because he wants to be in shape for the World Cup.  It will be an easy matter to see whether I'm right or wrong on this  tbh. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone see this? :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8199966.stm

Portsmouth manager has also revealed he signed striker Mark Viduka in June, but has since had no contact with the player.

The Australia international, 33, was released by Newcastle following their relegation from the Premier League.

With Portsmouth lacking firepower since the departure of Jermain Defoe, and more recently Peter Crouch, Hart signed Viduka - only for the ex-Leeds and Middlesbrough player to go absent soon after.

"As far as I understand, the contractual negotiations went well, he was happy with the deal," Hart told BBC Radio 5 live.

"That deal was done in the back-end of June - and he's still in Croatia."

Portsmouth manager has also revealed he signed striker Mark Viduka in June, but has since had no contact with the player.

The Australia international, 33, was released by Newcastle following their relegation from the Premier League.

With Portsmouth lacking firepower since the departure of Jermain Defoe, and more recently Peter Crouch, Hart signed Viduka - only for the ex-Leeds and Middlesbrough player to go absent soon after.

"As far as I understand, the contractual negotiations went well, he was happy with the deal," Hart told BBC Radio 5 live.

Has he checked the physio room?  Probably the best place to start looking for him.

Has he checked the physio room?  Probably the best place to start looking for him.

Only assuming he had already checked the canteen.

Guest Stephen927

He fell over inside SJP and is now on his back and can't get back up. He's been there a month but there's been noone there to pick him up.

Very strange how nobody noticed him at Bobbys charity game, though there is a strong rumour going round that Joey Barton pole vaulted him for a bet.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1082882/Viduka-ready-to-throw-in-the-towel

The eventful 16-year professional career of Australian striker Mark Viduka is all but over, according to his closest confidante and former Socceroos team-mate Josip Skoko.

Hajduk Split midfielder Skoko, who quit the national team after the 2006 World Cup, talked with the 33-year-old ex-Celtic, Leeds, Middlesbrough and Newcastle striker "a few days ago" and is betting that the former talisman will not play again at club or national team level.

Skoko predicts that Viduka, who is currently in England, will instead take an extended holiday in the land of his parents and his wife, Croatia, before returning to settle in his hometown of Melbourne later this year.

"I spoke to Mark and he said he had one (Premier League) option in the UK and it was all boiling down to that. But I think if he was going to take that option I’d have heard by now," Skoko explained.

"The fact I haven't heard from him in the last 48 hours probably means he won't be going any further (with his career). It looks to me as though he has made a final decision.

"He’ll probably come and get some sun in Croatia now while it lasts, then return to live in Australia."

Skoko, who is considering extending his career in the A-League at the conclusion of the Croatian season, claims Viduka will not take that path.

"I think if he doesn't play in the Premiership, then the A-League won't appeal to him," Skoko said.

"It will be a case of if he’s finished with the Premier League (where Portsmouth and Fulham failed to tempt him after his exit from relegated Newcastle) then he’ll be finished with football full stop.

"That that would of course mean the national team also. He’s been making some hard decisions and it’s been a tough time for him."

Skoko, 33, though offered a slither of solace to those who won’t accept the Viduka era is over until the man himself steps out publicly and confirms his retirement to end lingering speculation of his availability for the 2010 World Cup.

"There is always an element of uncertainty with Mark," he added. "One day he feels one way, the next he feels different. He’s been brilliant for Australia but everything comes to an end.

"We’re both approaching our mid 30s (Viduka turns 34 in October and Skoko is 34 in December) and it’s now our time to retire."

The graceful Geelong-raised Skoko, who had spells in Belgium with Genk, Turkey with Genclerberligi and Wigan in England, is now in his second coming at Hajduk.

"Living and playing in Europe takes it out of you, and also your family, and you have to know when enough is enough," he explained.

"I’m coming closer to that point. I will definitely leave Hajduk at the end of my deal.

"After that, I am keeping the option open of maybe a year or so in the A-League, maybe with the new team Melbourne Heart if they are interested and if it’s good for both of us. Or maybe another club."

Skoko, who has made a fortune from business interests outside football, also plans to acquire his AFC coaching badges with a view to possibly eventually coaching at A-League level.

As for Viduka’s life post football, Skoko, whose friendship was forged with the ‘V-Bomber’ at the AIS when they were both teenagers, has no idea what route he will take.

"I’m sure he has a few things up his sleeve," Skoko said. "We’ve both spent 15 years or so overseas and you could say we’ve come full circle. I don‘t think you will see any regrets from either of us."

Just to muddy the waters a little, Viduka’s agent Steve Kutner is currently in America "on business", which might mean an MLS component to the Viduka saga.

He'd rip the Championship to shreds if he was fit enough and played to last season's standards.

Agree with Interpolic's concerns about attitude though. A pay-as-you-play contract on a moderately low wage (compared to before) might not be enough to motivate him to keep the weight off/stay fit/play well/etc.