Aston Villa v Newcastle - 24/05/09 - Pre-match thread

Godot

We could play that Fulham game another 10 times, and even on the same performance from both teams I'd say we'd win at least half and draw a few times.

We didn't play that bad it's true, but this is why we should never have been in a position where we were relying on getting the breaks in our last home game of the season.

If we are to get relegated then I would prefer it to be away from home than at home where it would have turned nasty.  Obviously, the gloating from the Villa fans would be irritating but hopefully, the hardcore away supporters will be a bit more stoical and not give the world the pictures, the cameras will want.  Mind you, it will mean Ashley gets off lightly.

But whilst there's hope .....

If we go down, it'll be with a wimper. I don't think there'll be any "last-minute heartbreak" or anything. We'll either play well, win, and stay up, or more likely play sh*te and get thrashed by 3 or 4.

Aye. I'd rather get fucking battered than some last minute heart break. I don't think i can even bring myselof to pick a starting line up I want for this match, the midfields fucking useless. We have to attack though, we will definitely get beat if we try to keep it tight.

Guest fraser

Putting West Brom and Sunderland to one side as they haven't yet played, it's important to remember that whatever side Man Utd pick next week they will be favourites to win. Man Utd has a winning mentality that imbues itself throughout the whole club and every one of its teams; no points for Hull City next week.

However, we are a bunch of knackers and will get nothing at Villa anyway.

To be fair, the few times Newcastle in the Premiership era have needed a result to do anything and relied on results going our way on the last day, it's generally went well. (May 96 apart obviously)

1997 - Needed to beat Forest at home by a bigger margin than Arsenal at Derby, and needed Liverpool to drop points at Sheffield Wednesday to finish 2nd. Arsenal won 3-1 at Derby, Liverpool failed to win, and we won 5-0...Boro & Sunderland also went down.

2004 - Had to get a result at Anfield and hope for Aston Villa to get beat at home to Man Utd who had nothing to play for in order to clinch a UEFA Cup spot. We drew 1-1 and Man Utd beat Aston Villa.

2006 - Had to beat Champions Chelsea at home to guarantee 7th spot which would be a European place. We won 1-0.

Haven't been on for a while but for what it's worth:

We have been incapable of beating anyone of late so why on earth would we be able to beat Villa...

Our defence and midfield look so out of sorts it is embarrassing.

Apathy has taken me over and I am looking forward to crushing teams next season in the Championship. For you diehards out there, at least it will get rid of the pleb boo-boys and the silent crew, something positive to be taken???

We have been incapable of beating anyone of late so why on earth would we be able to beat Villa...

We beat Boro last week FFS :lol:  A team Villa couldn't beat this week by the way.

To be fair, the few times Newcastle in the Premiership era have needed a result to do anything and relied on results going our way on the last day, it's generally went well. (May 96 apart obviously)

1997 - Needed to beat Forest at home by a bigger margin than Arsenal at Derby, and needed Liverpool to drop points at Sheffield Wednesday to finish 2nd. Arsenal won 3-1 at Derby, Liverpool failed to win, and we won 5-0...Boro & Sunderland also went down.

2004 - Had to get a result at Anfield and hope for Aston Villa to get beat at home to Man Utd who had nothing to play for in order to clinch a UEFA Cup spot. We drew 1-1 and Man Utd beat Aston Villa.

2006 - Had to beat Champions Chelsea at home to guarantee 7th spot which would be a European place. We won 1-0.

Difference being that we had good teams in all of those games.

We beat Boro last week FFS :lol:  A team Villa couldn't beat this week by the way.

Doubt we would have beat Boro at the Riverside to be fair.....

Doubt we would have beat Boro at the Riverside to be fair.....

Villa are better away then they are at home though.