Aston Villa v Newcastle - 24/05/09 - Pre-match thread

Godot

Oh my...

http://i42.tinypic.com/20svgwi.png

SUPPORT YOUR OWN FUCKING CLUB, YOU SAD FUCKING CUNTS!

To be fair, us going down will be Sunderland's biggest achievement for the past three decades.  It's their version of our beating Barca, twatting Man U 5-0, playing over 100 games in Europe.  Liverpool have that night in Istanbul, if we go down the mackems will have that day at the SOL when instead of watching the game they listened to the mags lose on the radio.  Expect to see a gold star above the Sunderland badge on their shirts next season.

Oh my...

http://i42.tinypic.com/20svgwi.png

SUPPORT YOUR OWN f***ing CLUB, YOU SAD f***ing c***s!

To be fair, us going down will be Sunderland's biggest achievement for the past three decades.  It's their version of our beating Barca, twatting Man U 5-0, playing over 100 games in Europe.  Liverpool have that night in Istanbul, if we go down the mackems will have that day at Stamford Bridge when the mags lost at Villa Park.  Expect to see a gold star above the Sunderland badge on their shirts next season.

The premier league logo on their sleeves would be sufficient to be honest.

Guest alankhaw

-------------Taylor--------Colo---------Edgar--------

Jonas-----------------------------------------------Duff

------------Guthrie-------Butt---------Nolan----------

------------------Viduka---------Martins---------------

-------------Taylor--------Colo---------Edgar--------

Jonas-----------------------------------------------Duff

------------Guthrie-------Butt---------Nolan----------

------------------Viduka---------Martins---------------

I would use the same players but play 442 with Duff LB, Taylor RB, Nolan on the left too.

I have a feeling 3-5-2 would get us killed.

Guest alankhaw

is owen defo out of this then

Looks like it. Doubt he will play through the pain barrier either

We’ll do you no favours says O’Neill

May 18 2009 by Mark Douglas, The Journal

MARTIN O’Neill has warned Newcastle United not to expect an easy ride from his Aston Villa side next week.

Realistically United require a victory at Villa Park to have any chance of remaining a Premier League side next season – but Villa are chasing hard for a fifth place finish that would be psychologically important for O’Neill and his players.

The Villa boss promised “progress” to supporters and his board last season, and he believes that bettering last year’s finish is a key part of that. So despite having the utmost respect for Alan Shearer, a fellow BBC football analyst, he says he will be doing his best to send United down – and overturn Everton in fifth.

“We will try to win next week. There is still a lot for us to play for,” O’Neill said.

“Everton won over the weekend to go above us, but we are still capable of finishing above them – it is still within our grasp, even if it is not within our control. So we have a lot to play for.

“We have to do our part by winning next week, and I don’t think Everton have an easy game – Fulham will not be treating it lightly as they are chasing a place in Europe. I hold Alan Shearer in high regard, and I don’t want to sound patronising but I do feel for him. But we have to try to win these games. We have to win for our own benefit.”

Villa’s form has tailed off dramatically since the turn of the year, when they were contending for a place in the Champions League.

But United will struggle to live with O’Neill’s side if they replicate their second half performance at Middlesbrough.

With John Carew at the fore, Villa looked a dangerous team and after some poor recent performances Ashley Young and Gabriel Agbonlahor looked like they might be about to run into some decent form again.

Shearer will be pinning his hopes on Villa playing as they did in the first half – disinterested, lacklustre and struggling to produce any kind of fluid movement in midfield or attack.

United’s plight is also unlikely to elicit much sympathy among the home fans either. A sizeable throng of supporters had travelled from the West Midlands and they cheered news of Newcastle’s defeat at Fulham loudly when it was announced over the public address system.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/05/18/we-ll-do-you-no-favours-says-o-neill-61634-23646318/

Villa 1 - 1 Newcastle

Hull 0 - 2 Man Utd

Those are actually the scores I've put in for my I Know The Score prediction league.  If ayone wants to clutch at straws, I'm top of the league by a mile.

Villa 1 - 1 Newcastle

Hull 0 - 2 Man Utd

Those are actually the scores I've put in for my I Know The Score prediction league.  If ayone wants to clutch at straws, I'm top of the league by a mile.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01386/obama-straw_1386774c.jpg

from .com:

The final away game of the season isn't an inspiring

place to search for omens regarding a possible away victory for Newcastle - never having happened since

we took our place in the Premier League:

2007/08 lost 1-3 at Everton

2006/07 drew 1-1 at Watford

2005/06 drew 0-0 at Birmingham

2004/05 lost 0-2 at Everton

2003/04 drew 1-1 at Liverpool

2002/03 drew 2-2 at West Brom

2001/02 lost 1-3 at Southampton

2000/01 lost 0-3 at Liverpool

1999/00 drew 0-0 at Derby

1998/99 lost 0-2 at Leicester

1997/98 lost 0-1 at Blackburn

1996/97 drew 0-0 at Man U

1995/96 drew 1-1 at Forest

1994/95 lost 0-1 at Blackburn

1993/94 lost 0-2 Sheffield United

The 2-0 win at Grimsby Town that sealed promotion and the title back in May 1993 remains the last time we took maximum points from our final away fixture.

A 3-0 success at Spurs was the last time we rounded off a top-flight season with victory in our final away. That was on May 24th 1976 - 33 years to the day that

we'll be stepping out at Villa Park...

Can either mean we're due one, or we'll never win  :frantic:

-------------------Harper-------------------

--R Taylor----S Taylor----Colo----Duff--

---------------Butt-----Nolan--------------

--Oba------------------------------Loven--

-----------Carroll-----Viduka--------------

May as well admit that we default to playing hoofball most of the time and try to make it work, plus the midfield has alternated between abysmal and non-existent all season so playing without much of one probably won't make too much of a difference.

Villa 1 - 1 Newcastle

Hull 0 - 2 Man Utd

Not outrageous predictions by any means, I can see that happening.

May as well admit that we default to playing hoofball most of the time and try to make it work, plus the midfield has alternated between abysmal and non-existent all season so playing without much of one probably won't make too much of a difference.

that looks like a fairly good team. Maybe Guthrie for Butt?

that looks like a fairly good team. Maybe Guthrie for Butt?

No.  He's a reasonable midfielder & if we have him in the midfield we might be tempted to pass the ball which will inevitably fail, better to try and ignore it as far as possible.

People seem to be underestimating the importance of Enrique to our side. As he has played more regular games his confidence has grown. As a result of this he is now a solid defender and excellent going forward, particularly when combined with Jonas. He is strong, skillful, pretty sharp and in my opinion one of our better players. Having him at left back and Beye at right back means we have two full backs who prepared to overlap and go forward as well as being excellent defenders. 

Having Enrique back will be a key factor on sunday as it will give the side more than one dimension, as to me on monday and saturday it was noticeable how often we would try to attack down the right hand compared with the amount of times we got down the left. Only my opinion of course but I believe having Enrique and Gutierrez on the left with Beye and probably Guthrie but maybe even Duff on the right could be the difference between us picking up something and us not.