Bassong: 'I want to leave for my career and my future'

Dave

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/06/09/s-bastien-bassong-voted-united-s-best-player-61634-23820308/

Sébastien Bassong voted United’s best player

Jun 9 2009 by Ben Guy, The Journal

ONE player has been given a resounding vote of confidence following Newcastle United’s dreadful relegation season.

Close to 65% of readers taking part in The Journal’s end-of-season survey thought centre back Sébastien Bassong was the club’s best player last season.

The 22-year-old arrived last summer from French club Metz following a brief trial and impressed throughout his first season at the club.

Fellow defender Steven Taylor received 15.7% of the vote, with Habib Beye also mentioned by many fans.

But, while Bassong impressed, plenty of fans suggested that no player in black and white had performed well enough over the season.

Jamie Irvine’s post was typical of many, when he wrote: “Not one player has applied any degree of consistency to merit the title of player of the season.” Nicky Butt won almost 6% of the vote, but other big names at the club were noticeable only by their absence.

In fact, the section of the survey which asked which players the club should try to sell included more of those star names.

High-profile signings Michael Owen, Alan Smith, Joey Barton and Kevin Nolan were all singled out by angry fans as players who had not pulled their weight over the season.

We asked which players should be sold over the summer, and one anonymous fan mirrors the response of many others with the answer: “All of them.”

Dozens of fans also said the club should sell its high earners, with concerns about the club’s massive wage bill in the front of many supporters’ minds.

Even Shay Given, who left for Manchester City in January, received a few votes in our poll, but it was Bassong, a product of the famous Clairefontaine football academy in France, that most impressed the fans.

Many supporters also used our survey to express their frustration at the sale of James Milner, who has since enjoyed an excellent season at Aston Villa.

Bassong, who was called up to the Cameroon squad for the World Cup qualifier against Morocco at the weekend but did not play, has become a transfer target for a number of clubs following his eye-catching first season in England.

The player, who has represented France at Under-21 level, has been linked with a move to Arsenal and, unsurprisingly, our poll shows that Newcastle fans are desperate for him to stay.

:dowie:

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/06/10/troubled-united-may-lose-sebastien-bassong-61634-23831344/2/

While Shearer, if given the job, would make retaining Bassong one of his key priorities, he is helpless to stop United selling the former Metz man if Arsenal and Tottenham meet the asking price of around £12million.

Talk of a bid from either North London club for the graduate of the famous Clairefontaine Youth Academy was rife at the Toulon tournament last week, where most of the Premier League clubs had sent scouts and recruitment personnel. The ambitious Bassong has been ambiguous on whether he wants to stay at Newcastle now they are in the Championship, but the appointment of Shearer would influence his thinking.

The decision may be taken out of his hands if an eight figure bid is submitted for Bassong in the next few weeks.

Although Mike Ashley is aware of Bassong’s importance to the squad, the club are not in a position where they can turn down decent bids for any players.

I'll be genuinely astonished if Bassong is still playing for us in September. It's crucifying aswell; finally we've got some sort of solution to the constant centre-back issue and he's buggered off within a season. It happened the season before with Abdoulaye Faye aswell.

Urgh... Faye and Bassong. Would have been superb.

I'll be genuinely astonished if Bassong is still playing for us in September. It's crucifying aswell; finally we've got some sort of solution to the constant centre-back issue and he's buggered off within a season. It happened the season before with Abdoulaye Faye aswell.

Urgh... Faye and Bassong. Would have been superb.

We can't say for certain but there's definitely a decent mix of strength and ability there in theory. :(

Aye, certainly on paper. Faye's ability in the air was second to none of any centre-back i've seen play for us if i'm honest; better than the likes of Woodgate (who, incidentally, i'd say was better in the tackle than either of those two). But there would have been pace and power; Faye was misleadingly quick across the ground and Bassong's hardly slow.

Urgh.

I thought he was a crap towards the end of the season if we can get mega or even decent money for a fella who had a good half season at most it will be a good a deal.

Also he has been at the heart of the defence of two teams that have went down on the bounce now, which makes me have doubts about him as well.

Also he has been at the heart of the defence of two teams that have went down on the bounce now, which makes me have doubts about him as well.

No offence but that's a pretty dumb comment.  That's like saying John O'Shea is amazing because he's won back to back titles whereas in reality Bassong is probably just as good.

I honestly think Bassong should be our number one priority to keep, it makes me sick when I think the likes of Butt and Nolan may be on the same wages next season whereas Bassong may leave to someone like Spurs.

He's miles away from it at the moment but I can't see why he can't become one of the worlds' best centrebacks.  The mistakes he makes now can be easily rectified (bad positioning etc.) whereas with someone like Bramble (**** control, technique) and Colo (coward) will never reach the next level.

it has also emerged that Bassong was deeply upset by the attitude of some of his team-mates in the dressing room at Villa Park on the final day of the season.

The source said: “Sebastien was suspended and gutted about having to sit in the stands.“But after the game he was mortified by some of the scenes in the dressing room. He said that only three or four of the players looked genuinely upset about the club’s relegation.

“More worryingly, while the fans were still chanting outside, some players were talking about their holidays.

does not suprise me one bit

Guest firetotheworks

I dont blame him at all tbh, In his situation, even as a Newcastle supporter I'd be thinking 'Shit, what about my career?'

I'm not saying I'd want to go, but I'd be really, really worried. It's a such a horrific situation for a football club.

I want him to stay but can't blame him for wanting to leave. Who would choose to play in the Championship with a club that is (currently) a total basket case if a top 4 club with a well respected manager wanted you (Assuming the Arsenal interest is true)?

Guest Magpiecn

I want him to stay but can't blame him for wanting to leave. Who would choose to play in the Championship with a club that is (currently) a total basket case if a top 4 club with a well respected manager wanted you (Assuming the Arsenal interest is true)?

I agree.Feel sad.

Fuck off then you little cunt, no loyalty but to blame the mess is pathetic, even had we stayed up and the Gooners came knocking he would have wanted to go.

oh calm down. :D i dont blame one single player for wanting to leave. Bassong owes us nothing he at least performed well last season

f*** off then you little c***, no loyalty but to blame the mess is pathetic, even had we stayed up and the Gooners came knocking he would have wanted to go.

:lol:

he has only been here a year and you expect him to die for the club..  dont blame him one bit!  good luck to the lad.