Bassong: 'I want to leave for my career and my future'

Dave

While Shearer is likely to be offered the manager’s job by any new owner, part of the reason he is supportive of Freddy Shepherd’s takeover bid is because the former United chairman will go all out to keep Bassong in Toon with a new, much-improved contract.

Isn't that one of the reasons the club is in the state it is now? Shepherd going all out with the contract offers landed us with Owen, Luque, etc.

Not really the same. If Owen and Luque had played like players deserving of their transfer fee/wage demands then both would have been worthwhile signings. It wasn't the amount necessarily being spent, but what on that was the problem. An improved and extended contract for Bassong could be a decent bit of business since we all know of his quality and potential.

Yes, I agree we should try to keep Bassong but are we really going to offer him Premiership wages when we are in the Championship? The mess the club is in at the moment it's not exactly nailed on that we will be back in the Premiership in a season.

Well it all depends on how much Spurs were offering him and how much Bassong wanted. I don't imagine it'd be a massive amount to be honest and I can't see him being on much more than a youth wage here. Obviously if he is asking for a lot then fair enough but when I read it I thought he was just asking for a good wage that reflected his age and ability.. whatever that might be.

Guest wshmag

Bit of loyalty Seb, you were all set to play in Ligue 2 last year.

Couple of half decent games and suddenly they think they are established prem stars.

They need to stop reading player reviews off forums.

Well I seem to remember us being the only club sniffing around him. He's 23/24 would one season kill him, just pisses me off we aren't even relegated and he's talking about buggering off.

exactly. the cunt has some fucking neck telling us he wants to fuck off.

we signed him, we made him (somehow) into a decent defender. he is just another cunt along with the likes of bernard and distin

It's great news that there's no staff at newcastle for now, it means any decision to sell players won't be made until we have new owners at the club rather than the Cockney spivs.

Man City will meet his wage demands the blue nosed football killing cunts that they are, all we can do is hope that the club is sold and Al gets the managers job and soon. That happends we will have a really good chance at keeping him.

i like bassong as much as the next guy, but if we're needing to sell players, surely bassong is one of the few we can get good money for?

But our main reason for needing to sell players is to drop the wage bill and Bassong is on fuck all, unlike 10 or more losers at the club on massive wages.  We shouldn't be looking to sell our best players unless their wage is ridiculous.

i like bassong as much as the next guy, but if we're needing to sell players, surely bassong is one of the few we can get good money for?

But our main reason for needing to sell players is to drop the wage bill and Bassong is on f*** all, unlike 10 or more losers at the club on massive wages.  We shouldn't be looking to sell our best players unless their wage is ridiculous.

Aye, spot on, the money we save on the likes of Owen & Viduka going should be spent towards offering Bassong a higher wage.

But our main reason for needing to sell players is to drop the wage bill and Bassong is on f*** all, unlike 10 or more losers at the club on massive wages.  We shouldn't be looking to sell our best players unless their wage is ridiculous.

Aye, spot on, the money we save on the likes of Owen & Viduka going should be spent towards offering Bassong a higher wage.

That's all very well, but a 10-12 million injection will cover wages for the whole squad for a few weeks/months (depending on who else is sold). Or pay a chunk of the (supposed) overdraft, thus reducing repayments, and thus having a few coins of liquid cash per month.

I'm all for getting rid of the high rollers like Martins, Duff, Smth, Barton, Geremi et al, and keeping those on more reasonable wages - but the fact is all of those will be difficult to shift, and selling Bassong gives us some breathing space.

Ashley's got us in a real pickle, and ideal situations are little removed from pipe dreams. It's the same thing as selling Martins for a seemingly paltry fee of 5 million - it's not so much about price as value...

That's all very well, but a 10-12 million injection will cover wages for the whole squad for a few weeks/months (depending on who else is sold). Or pay a chunk of the (supposed) overdraft, thus reducing repayments, and thus having a few coins of liquid cash per month.

I'm all for getting rid of the high rollers like Martins, Duff, Smth, Barton, Geremi et al, and keeping those on more reasonable wages - but the fact is all of those will be difficult to shift, and selling Bassong gives us some breathing space.

Ashley's got us in a real pickle, and ideal situations are little removed from pipe dreams. It's the same thing as selling Martins for a seemingly paltry fee of 5 million - it's not so much about price as value...

It's ironic that we will have to sell our young promising players on low wages so we can use the fee to pay the old, creaking spongers who got us relegated in the first place. Is it any wonder we are at rock bottom?

Guest michaelfoster

He's a miserable big headed frenchman as far as im concerned (sound familiar eh?), if we reject all bids for him he will be unhappy and wont give 100%, we might aswell sell and get decent money if he doesnt want to be here.

We need all players to be 110% committed next season, if i was manager i would be saying give your best or pack your bags, no player is bigger than a club.

Bassong done

Ignore what the rest are saying - Bassong is apparently a done deal according to Spurs Community and will be announced next week. Bassong, would I assume, be back up to King and Woodgate and is probably the best of a bad lot from Newcastle.

More scarily, tight wad Levy thinks we can do some cut price deals with his mate Ashley and bring in a few more of the Newcastle dross, Nolan amongst them. Why we would want to bring in anymore rubbish from Newcastle is beyond me. They went down because they were dreadful and buying a bucket load of championship players is not going to see us push on for 6 place - which is all we can probably hope for now Citeh have financial muscle. It is all rather depressing and why Levy needs to hurry up and find someone willing to invest decent cash in the team.

http://theshelf.blogspot.com/2009/06/bassong-done.html

Probably not true though

It's people like him and KD as to why I thoroughly dislike Spurs.

He's not saying anything out of the ordinary, is he? If it's people like him then you presumably hate every other team - and that would be fair enough.

Guest Heneage

He's not saying anything out of the ordinary, is he? If it's people like him then you presumably hate every other team - and that would be fair enough.

"Why we'd want to bring in anymore rubbish from Newcastle is beyond me."

Like they have just done the league and cup double. Beye and Enrique would get in the Spurs team for starters.

"Why we'd want to bring in anymore rubbish from Newcastle is beyond me."

Like they have just done the league and cup double. Beye and Enrique would get in the Spurs team for starters.

I know there are deluded Spurs fans, but it's special pleading to say this guy thinks we've just done the Double!

Beye, no. Corluka or Hutton on the right, King, Woodgate or Dawson in the middle. Assou-Ekotto has just had a great season too, though I agree Enrique shades him.

Other than that, Bassong would be great cover in the center. Being honest, if you were Spurs who would you buy from Newcastle who'd go straight into the first team? Shorn of the gratuitous comments, it's difficult to argue with him.

:lol:

Bassong will still be ours next season lads.. fkn idiot soft cock southern c***s habe not got a clue.

:coolsmiley: Yeah, I agree, as long as Shearer gets appointed sharpish and you sort out his contract he'll stay.

Still think he would be a reserve for us mind.....  :pow:

Bit of loyalty Seb, you were all set to play in Ligue 2 last year.

Couple of half decent games and suddenly they think they are established prem stars.

They need to stop reading player reviews off forums.

Well I seem to remember us being the only club sniffing around him. He's 23/24 would one season kill him, just pisses me off we aren't even relegated and he's talking about buggering off.

exactly. the c*** has some f***ing neck telling us he wants to f*** off.

we signed him, we made him (somehow) into a decent defender. he is just another c*** along with the likes of bernard and distin

made him into a decent defender my arse

Surely Sebastien Bassong is a better player than Michael Dawson?

In fact, isn't Shirley Bassey a better player than Michael Dawson?

I didn't see much of Spurs last year, but he's always struck me as the third chuckle brother, so apologies if he's improved massively last season.