Shearer says talks with Cardiff were "unsucessful" - Sky News

Decky

Not going to judge Shearer on his stint with us.

Me neither, which is why I definitely don't want him coming here any time soon. That said, I was pleasantly surprised by his time here. Most of my prejudice against him stems from everything he's ever said and done before and after that time, but during it he seemed pretty bold in ripping up plans that were going wrong, which surprised me - didn't show Owen unwarranted loyalty, experimented with tactics. He seemed to be making more right moves than I expected - if he'd kept that rate up and been given a handful more games to work with I think he would have kept us up, at least.

Some people have extremely short memories.

Me neither, which is why I definitely don't want him coming here any time soon. That said, I was pleasantly surprised by his time here. Most of my prejudice against him stems from everything he's ever said and done before and after that time, but during it he seemed pretty bold in ripping up plans that were going wrong, which surprised me - didn't show Owen unwarranted loyalty, experimented with tactics. He seemed to be making more right moves than I expected - if he'd kept that rate up and been given a handful more games to work with I think he would have kept us up, at least.

??? He dropped him didn't he?

It was Hughton that originally dropped Owen, and Shearer re-instated him the minute he took over. After a few games, he realised his mistake and dropped him again.

In fairness, I think it was a genuine error of judgement about Owen's contribution. It wasn't about being loyal to a mate.

It was Hughton that originally dropped Owen, and Shearer re-instated him the minute he took over. After a few games, he realised his mistake and dropped him again.

In fairness, I think it was a genuine error of judgement about Owen's contribution. It wasn't about being loyal to a mate.

Tbf Owen looked like he cared in Shearer's first game against Chelsea. As did everyone till Chelsea scored that goal. But Owen really did try to make things happen.

Guest Howaythetoon

Shearer's first and biggest mistake was appointing someone as s*** as Iain Dowie as his no. 2.

I can kind of see why he would appoint him or someone like him. Dowie was available and had some experience of management. In many ways it showed Shearer as someone who actually knew he needed help rather than being a delusionist and thinking he could come in and do it all himself. Shearer's biggest mistake for me was downplaying the whole "SHEARER-SHEARER" thing which could have generated a feel-good factor around the club. He was extremely low key at home to Chelsea - hos first game, rarely venturing towards the dugout and when fans chanted for him to wave he ignored them. From the off he downplayed the whole Shearer factor which I think could have worked in our favour had he used it. The atmosphere at home to Chelsea should have been something special with Shearer the ring leader but it was shit and the only time it ever picked up was when we beat Boro. Again though, I can see why he would have wanted to downplay things. We were doomed with or without Shearer anyway. Towards the end there was an inevitability about it all.

Shearer obviously thought our biggest weakness was in defence and the goals would come with Owen, Martins and Viduka up front. Which is possibly why he set us up to keep clean sheets first and foremost.

Incredibly, he was a pundit 6 months later and still spouting the same crap about our biggest weakness being in defence - with the best defensive record in The Championship. The guy's just completely clueless.

:thup: and he rectified it, which was the bit I appreciated.

:thup: and he rectified it, which was the bit I appreciated.

He played the full 90 mins for the first 4 games. The next two he came on as sub. THEN he was dropped only to reappear as a sub on the last day.

So, dropped for one full game, no loyalty there.

Shearer complains about not getting the job, but he didn't really do any himself favours sitting in the studio at West Brom telling everyone how piss poor Coloccini was. The man dropped him after one game for David fucking Edgar.

Shearer complains about not getting the job, but he didn't really do any himself favours sitting in the studio at West Brom telling everyone how p*ss poor Coloccini was. The man dropped him after one game for David f***ing Edgar.

Sitting by while Lee Dixon shat all over Enrique too. Pathetic.

Shearer complains about not getting the job, but he didn't really do any himself favours sitting in the studio at West Brom telling everyone how p*ss poor Coloccini was. The man dropped him after one game for David f***ing Edgar.

:thup:

Has he got serious management aspirations? Moreover, has he given any indication he's going to take management seriously and try to build a reputation for himself and actually succeed in a job? Is he prepared to drop to the lower leagues to get some experience; surely he has to?

He's an egomaniac, and a small club is obviously beneath him and his ice baths. He should take a look at the best in the business - Ferguson started at East Stirlingshire; Ancelotti at Reggiana.

He's an egomaniac, and a small club is obviously beneath him and his ice baths. He should take a look at the best in the business - Ferguson started at East Stirlingshire; Ancelotti at Reggiana.

what about guardiola,beckenbauer and plenty others who didn't have to drop down so far ?