Shearer says talks with Cardiff were "unsucessful" - Sky News

Decky

Why did he spend all that time getting his qualifications?

I just think he had it in his mind that Shepherd would always be chairman, he'd appoint Shearer, and he'd be here for years.

Well you sort of answered your own question there.

Anyway, he might have just got the qualifications because he thought he might want to be a manager. If he's serious about it he's wasting his time on MOTD... he should be managing a League Two team and learning his trade.

TBF though he might just be taking a career break for a couple of years, I don't know.

Honestly, I don't think we'll know how good Guardiola truly is until he's in his next job. He has the squad of players i've ever seen playing for him.

Always going to be exceptions though.

i've thougfht that of many managers, mourinho especially

Mourinho did a terrific job with a Porto team that were decent but a million miles from the best in Europe. You just have to look at Inter's capitulation this season to see how well he did there, too. Guy has very little to prove.

He also took some no name Portuguese Club to their highest league finish in their history and spent a decade before that as an assistant manager for SBR and Van Gael.  

His career is probably the best example of doing it "the proper way".  Learn as an assistant from the best, before earning jobs at bigger and bigger clubs based on your results.

well according to wiki he took over leira in april (season finished in may) so could he really take the plaudits ? then took over at porto who had previously finished runners up and won the poorest champs league in living memory in his time there and since then has been at either the clubs with most to spend, already fantastic players or very close to that. no doubting he's a good manager but don't try and make out he's a genius, he's no clough,hitzfeld or shankly or robson for that matter.

forget the idea ofhis  learning at a smaller club, his club was in the top half of the top division.

Or perhaps realised he wasn't up to it himself...

perhaps indeed - some of the stuff you hear from Barton about goings on doesn't sound massively encouraging does it?  although barton was as much to blame as anyone

maybe man management isn't his thing, also probably the first time he failed at anything in football - he'd always been part of a team so he couldn't be held accountable for NUFC not winning things but when he took us down i'm sure it was not the outcome he was expecting

Why did he spend all that time getting his qualifications?

I just think he had it in his mind that Shepherd would always be chairman, he'd appoint Shearer, and he'd be here for years.

Well you sort of answered your own question there.

*laughs*

Honestly, I don't think we'll know how good Guardiola truly is until he's in his next job. He has the squad of players i've ever seen playing for him.

Always going to be exceptions though.

i've thougfht that of many managers, mourinho especially

Mourinho did a terrific job with a Porto team that were decent but a million miles from the best in Europe. You just have to look at Inter's capitulation this season to see how well he did there, too. Guy has very little to prove.

He also took some no name Portuguese Club to their highest league finish in their history and spent a decade before that as an assistant manager for SBR and Van Gael.  

His career is probably the best example of doing it "the proper way".  Learn as an assistant from the best, before earning jobs at bigger and bigger clubs based on your results.

well according to wiki he took over leira in april (season finished in may) so could he really take the plaudits ? then took over at porto who had previously finished runners up and won the poorest champs league in living memory in his time there and since then has been at either the clubs with most to spend, already fantastic players or very close to that. no doubting he's a good manager but don't try and make out he's a genius, he's no clough,hitzfeld or shankly or robson for that matter.

forget the idea ofhis  learning at a smaller club, his club was in the top half of the top division.

:mackems:

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting if he gets the job decent side as well...

Shearer now 8/1 from 33/1 for #Cardiff job with @paddypower, but can still get 20/1 with @skybet

Someone follows @SirDanWilson

would take some balls to take on that Cardiff job with the rebuild needed there

Tbh, think Shearer is comfortable enough on the MOTD sofa. Would love to see him in management again though!

MirrorFootball MirrorFootball

by MsiDouglas

BREAKING: MirrorFootball understands that Alan Shearer is on the verge of being appointed manager of Cardiff. Story to follow...