Shearer says talks with Cardiff were "unsucessful" - Sky News

Decky

He's an egomaniac, and a small club is obviously beneath him and his ice baths. He should take a look at the best in the business - Ferguson started at East Stirlingshire; Ancelotti at Reggiana.

what about guardiola,beckenbauer and plenty others who didn't have to drop down so far ?

Guardiola was manager of Barcelona B and management was a lot different in Beckenbauer's day.

Honestly, I don't think we'll know how good Guardiola truly is until he's in his next job. He has the squad of players i've ever seen playing for him.

Always going to be exceptions though.

He's an egomaniac, and a small club is obviously beneath him and his ice baths. He should take a look at the best in the business - Ferguson started at East Stirlingshire; Ancelotti at Reggiana.

what about guardiola,beckenbauer and plenty others who didn't have to drop down so far ?

Guardiola was manager of Barcelona B and management was a lot different in Beckenbauer's day.

,dalglish,deschamps. there's many.

Has he got serious management aspirations?

Really don't think so. He's happy to leave things as they are and simply humour any talks of management every time they come up.

Honestly, I don't think we'll know how good Guardiola truly is until he's in his next job. He has the squad of players i've ever seen playing for him.

i've thougfht that of many managers, mourinho especially

Shearer says the right things, ie working his way up, but it'll take a lot to get him away from his cushty job on the MotD sofa.

The problem with the current era of footballers is that 90% are 'celebrities' that don't need the stress after retiring and can promote their brands. They have their clothing labels, their perfumes, their magazines, punditry duties and even record labels. Where will the managers come from?

Shearer says the right things, ie working his way up, but it'll take a lot to get him away from his cushty job on the MotD sofa.

The problem with the current era of footballers is that 90% are 'celebrities' that aspire to the easy life after retiring. They have their clothing labels, their perfumes, their magazines, punditry duties and even record labels. Where will the managers come from?

They'll probably come from the non-achieving players who still hunger for success, but as that group would include Ferguson, Mourinho, Wenger and Moyes, the game should be in safe hands.

But you do have a point about the top players. They get paid huge amounts and lead pampered lifestyles, so there can't be much incentive to take a 95% cut in wages and do your apprenticeship as the manager of Gateshead.

Mourinho did a terrific job with a Porto team that were decent but a million miles from the best in Europe. You just have to look at Inter's capitulation this season to see how well he did there, too. Guy has very little to prove.

Should go for a lower league club and see what he can do there, isn't up to premiership standard as we unfortunately found out.

Would really like to see him in the game managing rather than being a pundit, and not a very good one at that.

Lee Clark is doing it the right way, massive respect for what he's done after he retired.

Lee Clark, as strange as it might sound, has a good head on his shoulders. He has intelligence and humility, unlike AS.

Not only is that completely wrong,  these two attributes are hardly required to be a successful manager.

Mourinho did a terrific job with a Porto team that were decent but a million miles from the best in Europe. You just have to look at Inter's capitulation this season to see how well he did there, too. Guy has very little to prove.

He also took some no name Portuguese Club to their highest league finish in their history and spent a decade before that as an assistant manager for SBR and Van Gael. 

His career is probably the best example of doing it "the proper way".  Learn as an assistant from the best, before earning jobs at bigger and bigger clubs based on your results.

Fans favourite Di Canio gets knocked back for West Ham so goes for interview with Swindon hoping to learn the trade. Still no idea why Shearer doesn't do this. I bet if he'd applied for the Southampton job after Pardew was sacked he'd have got it.

Fans favourite Di Canio gets knocked back for West Ham so goes for interview with Swindon hoping to learn the trade. Still no idea why Shearer doesn't do this. I bet if he'd applied for the Southampton job after Pardew was sacked he'd have got it.

I'm not convinced Shearer's that bothered about being a manager.

I think if he was serious about it he would have gone down the McCoist route, learn from a top manager for a good few years before taking over. He's still young in managers terms though so maybe he is just chilling for a while. So much pressure and shite involved with management.