Realistic Summer Targets 2009

Kasper

Scholes  :lol: :lol:

How many players have gone straight from the champions league final to the championship?  :lol:

Jonathan Greening? (could be wrong there)

Leroy Lita is available on a free. Two year deal, we're laughing.

Greening didn't play in the final and didn't drop down to the championship for another 7 years after that

7 years!?!?! My bad.

For free he's surely worth it.

Given the striking dilemma we're going to have (ie, we're gonna be left with a strikeforce of Shola and Carroll by the time all the departs are finalised)... i would not be against getting the likes of Lita and Beckford in for cut prices. It's not ideal but when you consider the overhaul throughout the rest of the squad, it could end up being very shrewd business. Carroll, Beckford, Lita, Ameobi, (Lovenkrands). I'd take that. :undecided:

That Orr link is painfully ironic. Lets go for Gary Caldwell while we're at it, he never played for the first team. :lol: What's Coppinger doing nowadays?

Guest Taff

Basically, we need to sign players with a bit of pace, which in turn will make us a lot better team than last season. As much as I hate Duff & Butt, keep them (give them a pay cut!) and surround them with young legs, I think that's the key for us next season.

I'm happy to have Carroll up to next season as long as we can sign a nippy striker (don't think Ranger is ready).

By the looks of it, out defence will more or less stay the same, but I think Enrique will leave, meaning we need to sign two LB's. Wont go far wrong with Fox at Coventry as first choice.

I'm struggling to see where this assumption that Damien Duff will be able to beat a man and cross a ball is coming from, simply because he's moving a tier down.

He'd be one of the first i'd tell to fuck off.

We can keep Butt though. So long as he isn't a starter. Same rule applies; just cos he's moving down a division doesn't all of a sudden mean he's going to gain attributes. He'll still be an utterly wank passer of the ball - and if he's the crux of our midfield again next season, we will not get out of the division.

Guest Taff

Don't get me wrong, I don't want either Butt or Duff to stay, but I'm just telling it as it is. I know that Duff's days of beating defenders is over, but he has experiance and that will be needed in this division. Just look at the Birmingham team that went up.

what about Koumas? maybe not EPL quality but can run the show in the Championship and would provide creatvity

Koumas would be a good signing, but i bet he'd cost quite a bit and i dunno if he'd be up for moving down a division again. :dontknow:

what about Koumas? maybe not EPL quality but can run the show in the Championship and would provide creatvity

Koumas would be a good signing, but i bet he'd cost quite a bit and i dunno if he'd be up for moving down a division again. :dontknow:

I thought he'd knacked his hip and was seriously considering retiring?

Guest Taff

Koumas would be a very good signing, seen him play a lot (I  follow Wales) and he just oozes quality, always has time on the ball, good at set plays. Been injured a lot the last few years though, he is a luxury player though. Which you can probably get away with in the Championship.

Good shout.

Dunno tbh. I know he pwned the Championship with West Brom a couple of years ago.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/wales-football-team/2009/05/23/jason-koumas-wales-career-on-the-line-55578-23695059/

But he (Toshack) said yesterday: "Jason has not played since the game against Finland

(on March 28) and he’s not without his problems. I think it’s better if he sorts himself out and starts playing again on a more regular basis or he might find it difficult to get into the team.

"I have always been an admirer but he needs to play football on a more regular basis and sort out the hip injury that might be holding him back."

Brahim Hemdani would be a good shout, hes just been released from Rangers so hes a free agent. hes gettin on a bit at 31 but hes always comfortable on the ball and a great player.

I always rated Lita when I saw him for Reading, not sure why he didn't make it there. He's probably not good enough for a top-half Premiership team but beyond that I would take a punt.

He actually knows how to use his pace, playing on the shoulder of the last man and all that. He knows how to get in behind.

That makes him more useful (not better) than Martins at the moment.

For free he's surely worth it.

Given the striking dilemma we're going to have (ie, we're gonna be left with a strikeforce of Shola and Carroll by the time all the departs are finalised)... i would not be against getting the likes of Lita and Beckford in for cut prices. It's not ideal but when you consider the overhaul throughout the rest of the squad, it could end up being very shrewd business. Carroll, Beckford, Lita, Ameobi, (Lovenkrands). I'd take that. :undecided:

That Orr link is painfully ironic. Lets go for Gary Caldwell while we're at it, he never played for the first team. :lol: What's Coppinger doing nowadays?

I've always liked Lita, worth a punt on him especially if he's free.

Lita's issues are down to immaturity for the most part.

I reckon he would flourish under a younger manager like Shearer who he would have a lot more respect for and knowledge of as Shearer was only recently the best striker in the country.

I was at that West Brom v Reading cup game a while ago where Lita absolutely destroyed them for a rapid-fire hattrick.

Probably right that he was a bit immature, hopefully he wouldn't get too interested in the toon nightlife!

Very encouraged by what the agent had to say about players willing to wait it out for a move to Newcastle.

Very promising. All we have to do now is tie up Shearer and we are sorted .

Please God make it happen.