RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I agree that too many people on here have looked upon Keegan as a God for too long, based purely on his 5 years period in the 90s when he spent just as much, if not more, than other managers around at the time. That was all history when he came back.

Whether Ashley has gone back on promises to KK or not, is immaterial in this discussion. As some once else pointed out earlier in this thread, how many other managers would have spat the dummy because he couldnt get the owner to buy him a left back? I would say, virtually none. I dont buy the argument from KK about Denis Wise involvement either. As far as I recall, KK admitted he knew Wise was going to be appointed  before he came back.

I have no doubts at all that Keegan's ego mplayed a huge part in this whole saga and the biggest mistake Ashley made was appointing a so called fans favourite who would ultimately use his popularity with the fans to try and gain the ascendancy in the club.

Lets be honest here, whereever Keegan has gone in the past, he has not been able to operate without substantial funds and it has been clear for long enough now that the financial state of the club, even before Keegan came back, has been horrendous and needed to be addressed without any further financial deterioration. Keegan wanted his slice, the club could not afford it, Keegan spat his usual dummy and now, we are paying for the consequences. I hope Ashley wins his case againast Keegan, because KK neither deserves or warrants any financial compensation for his role in this whole saga. He should be ashamed of himself. a real bloody con man, if ever I saw one. AND YOU SUPPORTERS MAY HAVE TO PAY FOR IT.

Strange that Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger both agreed with him though isn't it?

Spot on. NONE of the leading managers would have stood for what was foisted upon Keegan. Never mind the left-back issue, look at where Xisco is now (will those previously in denial now finally admit the lad is shite beyond measure?). Imagine what Benitez's reaction would have been....

I agree that too many people on here have looked upon Keegan as a God for too long, based purely on his 5 years period in the 90s when he spent just as much, if not more, than other managers around at the time. That was all history when he came back.

Whether Ashley has gone back on promises to KK or not, is immaterial in this discussion. As some once else pointed out earlier in this thread, how many other managers would have spat the dummy because he couldnt get the owner to buy him a left back? I would say, virtually none. I dont buy the argument from KK about Denis Wise involvement either. As far as I recall, KK admitted he knew Wise was going to be appointed  before he came back.

I have no doubts at all that Keegan's ego mplayed a huge part in this whole saga and the biggest mistake Ashley made was appointing a so called fans favourite who would ultimately use his popularity with the fans to try and gain the ascendancy in the club.

Lets be honest here, whereever Keegan has gone in the past, he has not been able to operate without substantial funds and it has been clear for long enough now that the financial state of the club, even before Keegan came back, has been horrendous and needed to be addressed without any further financial deterioration. Keegan wanted his slice, the club could not afford it, Keegan spat his usual dummy and now, we are paying for the consequences. I hope Ashley wins his case againast Keegan, because KK neither deserves or warrants any financial compensation for his role in this whole saga. He should be ashamed of himself. a real bloody con man, if ever I saw one. AND YOU SUPPORTERS MAY HAVE TO PAY FOR IT.

Strange that Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger both agreed with him though isn't it?

Spot on. NONE of the leading managers would have stood for what was foisted upon Keegan. Never mind the left-back issue, look at where Xisco is now (will those previously in denial now finally admit the lad is shite beyond measure?). Imagine what Benitez's reaction would have been....

There aren't many previously in denial, most are still in denial and will never get it, but who cares? They post tripe and if nowt else it's good for a laugh.

Guest Wally_McFool

Let me refresh your memory about Dennis Wise's role on being appointed and what he said about his role at the club.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2290652/Wise-Kevin-Keegan-has-final-say-at-Newcastle.html

A Newcastle United forum is no place to make a level headed critique about Keegan's role in the recent demise of the club - shame on you !

Contrary to what subsequent posters have stated about your post and geographical detatchment from Newcastle, as a Newcastle based, Newcastle fan for many decades, I agree with most of what you say.

The Geordie obsession and love affair with Keegan ( who ultimately won nowt just like the rest of them ) is a source of amusement to most savvy football fans.

A serial quitter and probably Ashley's biggest mistake.

A Newcastle United forum is no place to make a level headed critique about Keegan's role in the recent demise of the club - shame on you !

Contrary to what subsequent posters have stated about your post and geographical detatchment from Newcastle, as a Newcastle based, Newcastle fan for many decades, I agree with most of what you say.

The Geordie obsession and love affair with Keegan ( who ultimately won nowt just like the rest of them ) is a source of amusement to most savvy football fans.

A serial quitter and probably Ashley's biggest mistake.

:mackems:

A Newcastle forum is the exact place to make a level headed AND INFORMED critique about Keegan's role. Unfortunately, a lot of the stuff I've been reading is tripe of the highest order.

Where you are correct is in your understanding the mistake was Ashley's. Good spot, that.

Not walk, give the player a crack, then take charge of the situation and sell him back to the players old club in the next window?

Seems to be how Benitez has handled it in the past.

As for Wengar and Furguson backing Keegan, frankly, other than it suiting their own agendas anyway, they have earned the right to walk if they don't get it all their own way (besides the fact that Wenger especially has had players sold he would have prefered to keep and just got on with it). Keegan on the back of his time at city was arguably in a much weaker position to throw his toys out the pram over not getting it all his own way regarding transfers.

Not walk, give the player a crack, then take charge of the situation and sell him back to the players old club in the next window?

As for Wengar and Furguson backing Keegan, frankly, other than it suiting their own agendas anyway, they have earned the right to walk if they don't get it all their own way (besides the fact that Wenger especially has had players sold he would have prefered to keep and just got on with it). Keegan on the back of his time at city was arguably in a much weaker position to throw his toys out the pram over not getting it all his own way regarding transfers.

The 2003–04 season was a different story. Valencia won La Liga with three games to go and beat Marseille 2–0 in the UEFA Cup final. Despite this success, Benítez fell out with Jesus Garcia Pitarch, the club's director of sport, over control of new signings and the club's failure to reinforce the squad with the players he wanted. These differences of opinion saw Benítez resign as Valencia coach in June 2004. He famously said "I asked for a table and they bought me a lampshade" in reference to the players he wanted the club to sign

How on earth did this thread turn into a Keegan debate as well? :lol:

Because a load of Ashley supporters desperately need to try and deflect at least some of the blame for the club's current state away from their beloved leader? If it wasn't for dastardly Keegan, the way Ashley was running the club would have worked & we'd now only be a couple of years from challenging for everything don't ya know.

;)

I don't understand  why the Ameicans don't buy the club and put Keegan in charge as long as he drops the lawsuit? Surely this way everyone wins? The fans are happy, Keegan's happy and the yanks can show Ashley just how to back your manager?

I don't understand  why the Ameicans don't buy the club and put Keegan in charge as long as he drops the lawsuit? Surely this way everyone wins? The fans are happy, Keegan's happy and the yanks can show Ashley just how to back your manager?

err, cause Keegan will be 10mill out of pocket

Who has Wenger had sold he would have preferred to keep?

The 2003–04 season was a different story. Valencia won La Liga with three games to go and beat Marseille 2–0 in the UEFA Cup final. Despite this success, Benítez fell out with Jesus Garcia Pitarch, the club's director of sport, over control of new signings and the club's failure to reinforce the squad with the players he wanted. These differences of opinion saw Benítez resign as Valencia coach in June 2004. He famously said "I asked for a table and they bought me a lampshade" in reference to the players he wanted the club to sign

Good to see he's not so hot headed now then. O0

http://rufingserious.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/unicorn-pissing-rainbows.jpghttp://www.soccerfiesta.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/st-james-park-newcastle.jpg

More tripe.

Your far flung location sees you detached from reality but really, there is no excuse given the power of the internet.

When Keegan was appointed by fat ash the reality is that people saw him as a manager with some talent who may turn the team into a decent one and who may see us up near the top 6 or so and looking like challengers. Babbling on the way you do about Keegan being seen as a god or something merely goes to show your knowledge of the club and it's supporters is limited to what you read in the media.

Love the reference to YOU SUPPORTERS by the way. That tells a story. I suggest you stick to stuff about australia and leave the Newcastle stuff to those more clued up.

A rather angry and irrational response which rather confirms what macca was saying. Keegan has a status which, in many people's eyes, puts him beyond criticism.

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen him described as a 'legend'. I've also found that when you criticise the man, the response is often one of moral outrage, as though you'd pissed on the steps of the Vatican rather than made an observation about a human being who is as flawed as the rest of us.

More tripe.

Your far flung location sees you detached from reality but really, there is no excuse given the power of the internet.

When Keegan was appointed by fat ash the reality is that people saw him as a manager with some talent who may turn the team into a decent one and who may see us up near the top 6 or so and looking like challengers. Babbling on the way you do about Keegan being seen as a god or something merely goes to show your knowledge of the club and it's supporters is limited to what you read in the media.

Love the reference to YOU SUPPORTERS by the way. That tells a story. I suggest you stick to stuff about australia and leave the Newcastle stuff to those more clued up.

A rather angry and irrational response which rather confirms what macca was saying. Keegan has a status which, in many people's eyes, puts him beyond criticism.

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen him described as a 'legend'. I've also found that when you criticise the man, the response is often one of moral outrage, as though you'd pissed on the steps of the Vatican rather than made an observation about a human being who is as flawed as the rest of us.

Not his first though, is it?  Anyone who doesn't agree with him is talking 'tripe' and anyone who lives in Australia (including myself), has to bow to his superior knowledge of all things NUFC.

What a wonderful person to go for a pint before the match with  :fool:

How on earth did this thread turn into a Keegan debate as well? :lol:

Because a load of Ashley supporters desperately need to try and deflect at least some of the blame for the club's current state away from their beloved leader? If it wasn't for dastardly Keegan, the way Ashley was running the club would have worked & we'd now only be a couple of years from challenging for everything don't ya know.

;)

who are these ashley supporters ? most agreed when he came in we couldn't keep going as we were financially, haven't got a clue what happened with keegan and think ashley got it totally wrong with kinnear etc.

or is it a case that some think if you have any criticism of keegan or the previous board then you must therefore think that ashley has done everything right ?

The moment Ashley hired Keegan was the moment I realised our owner was a populist, vain moron who isn't fit to run a football club.

Why though? After the initial poor run Keegan proved he still had it with the 4-3-3 system and actually dropping the likes of Duff and Smith. Obviously it didn't work out, but based purely on the footballing side of things we were turning a corner.