The England Thread

Pilko

Really don't understand the calls for Carroll myself, he's been average at best since he left us and in no sort of form.

Lambert on the other hand has consistently scored and created goals over the last two years.

Pretty happy with the squad on the whole, considering the likes of Terry, Walcott and Rodriguez were not available its about as good as it could have been.

I'd take Carroll irrespective of form, and tbh it hasn't been too bad of late anyhow.  It's because he offers us something different.  We saw in Euro 12 that despite him having no form to speak of ; he was, to coin a phrase, a massive fret when he played.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

Lamps is a debatable one. Has more yellow cards than goals this season. I'd rather see Carrick as an extra DM

Lamps is a debatable one. Has more yellow cards than goals this season. I'd rather see Carrick as an extra DM

I thought he might have went down that route but glad he hasn't. I'd have Lampard everytime.

Lampard and Milner were must-picks IMO. There is a danger of picking too youthful and inexperienced a squad; particularly now there's no Cole, Ferdinand, Terry or Barry (shit as he was).

There's only Gerrard, Lampard, Milner and Rooney who are 'old heads' in this squad.

Guest antz1uk

time for a couple of injuries/withdrawals yet, there'll be a couple of stand by's make it i expect

If we are picking based on form, surely Barry gets in over Carrick?

Yep, had a very good season for Everton.

Hart

Johnson Jagielka Cahill Baines

Gerrard

Henderson  Lallana

Sturridge              Sterling

Rooney

Nee point man. Lampard shouldn't be there, but it should be in exchange for someone who might actually be useful in the future for England. Stones/Flanny/Carroll.

Nee point man. Lampard shouldn't be there, but it should be in exchange for someone who might actually be useful in the future for England. Stones/Flanny/Carroll.

Agreed.

Really don't understand the calls for Carroll myself, he's been average at best since he left us and in no sort of form.

Lambert on the other hand has consistently scored and created goals over the last two years.

Pretty happy with the squad on the whole, considering the likes of Terry, Walcott and Rodriguez were not available its about as good as it could have been.

I'd take Carroll irrespective of form, and tbh it hasn't been too bad of late anyhow.  It's because he offers us something different.  We saw in Euro 12 that despite him having no form to speak of ; he was, to coin a phrase, a massive fret when he played.

Don't think Carroll offering something different is reason enough for him to go like, think it's a bit of an archaic attitude that you wouldn't see from other teams.

Lambert is in much better form and his injury record is a lot better too. Glad he's got the chance to go as he really does deserve it.

Agreed.

So if we need a goal off the bench you'd rather which unpicked midfielder come on instead of Lampard? Course he should be there. The reason he hasn't got as many this season is that arsehole Mourinho playing him as a DM.

Guest antz1uk

I quite like the look of this squad, there's a bit of formation flexibility in there with some good young exciting players. it's not always about picking the best 11, but about picking the best team. Also we seem to have weaned out the older guard who have had too much club rivalry involved which i think has affected their relationships/bonding

cole/terry/ferdinand/bridge etc.. i can imagine all the shenanigans and fall outs couldnt have made for a happy camp in the past

Hart

Johnson Jagielka Cahill Baines

Gerrard

Henderson  Lallana

Sturridge              Sterling

Rooney

I like that attack. That midfield and fullbacks will be played out of the park by better teams. Those fullbacks are very 'meh' defensively as well. Good CB pairing and okish goalkeeper. Will be up to Rooney if you guys want to have a successful one I guess. Seems a lot of team are relying on one player to succeed.

Lots of attacking options there. Good to see that Sterling has come on and will be going on merit, not the name of his club like when he won his first cap. I think Lambert is under-rated as a footballer. He's an English center forward so the assumption is he must be one-dimensional. Anyway, lots of players comfortable on the ball and a good bit of pace, even without Feo.

The squad looks pretty weak defensively though, with Johnson starting, Jones and Smalling as backups, and Gerrard and/or Wilshere as the screen. It's not their natural game. Gerrard could be seen floundering behind Gouff a la Barry vs. Ozil for our goal at Anfield yesterday. I tried to come up with an English DM worth taking but the best I could do was Jack Cork. He's canny, but you can't just throw him into a big tournament.

Agreed.

So if we need a goal off the bench you'd rather which unpicked midfielder come on instead of Lampard? Course he should be there. The reason he hasn't got as many this season is that arsehole Mourinho playing him as a DM.

Lampard played further forward away to Athletico and looked way of the pace.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

Wouldn't mind him tbh but Carrick has a small edge in terms of experience in Europe. Also getting skinned by Ozil in SA didn't do his popularity any favours  :lol:

Agreed.

Lampard played further forward away to Athletico and looked way of the pace.

Doesn't even begin to address the point, like. I'm not saying start him.