The England Thread

Pilko

If Germany have a 'remembrance day' and wish to display a symbol of respect for there dead innocent soldiers then why would you have a problem with that, Ozzie?

In hindsight, this post from you looks incredibly odd now:

It's all about the English/British national myth. Us vs The Continent. Battle of Britain. Agincourt. Blah Blah.

It isn't a valid point without a legitemate example. You're giving the poppy connotations it simply doesn't carry.

Stop wriggling and face the question.

If the German national team wanted to wear a symbol to honour their war dead, you'd see that as uncontroversial and support the idea?

Actually, yes. Not all Germans were Nazi's, in fact I reckon there was probably a very high proportion of German soldiers, particularly in World War 2 who fought on the basis they were doing this for Germany, not Nazism. In addition to this, a lot of young lads died in these wars who were no different from our own, sold or pressured into doing their duty for the motherland or for the mother of the free.

We haven't been a little angel of a nation either over history, but what we have done has driven us forward as one of the worlds greatest powers, despite our size, and now we can help countries develop themselves in the right way, as opposed to doing what we've done. The Germans done some pretty shitty things in the last century but it doesn't mean their soldiers were robots or monsters.

I live in Germany. Most people here would go apeshit if the national team wore such a thing, and especially if the players themselves were given no choice in the matter. It would be seen, in this today largely pacifistic nation, as a glorification of war.

I'm sure plenty of other countries, probably including this one, would have plenty to say about it too.

Not that anyone could possibly construe this as political or anything. :lol:

I live in Germany. Most people here would go apeshit if the national team wore such a thing, and especially if the players themselves were given no choice in the matter. It would be seen, in this today largely pacifistic nation, as a glorification of war.

I'm sure plenty of other countries, probably including this one, would have plenty to say about it too.

The Germans don't celebrate ones life, or even death you may argue. I've been to German World War cemetaries on the continent and their really eery. Each to their own though. Dozens of countries celebrate this, particularly the French, Americans and Canadians, and as far as I'm aware the Spanish too. It all depends on tradition and the individuals. They should be allowed to have it by choice not by force, similar to standing at football stadia. You should have the option to choose not being forced to do something because people at the top deem it to be wrong.

I've never read such rubbish in one thread for a long time. About 10% of what you've said has any relation to the matter at hand.

Guest Craig-NUFC

England: Hart; G Johnson, A Cole, Jagielka, Lescott; Jones, Parker, Lampard (capt), Milner, Walcott; Bent.

Spain: Casillas; Arbeloa, Ramos, Pique, Alba; Busquets, Xavi, Xabi; Iniesta, Silva, Villa

Spain must be shitting themselves

Are we wearing poppies or not then?  Such a grand gesture from players who probably will be thinking of everything but those who have suffered during war, during the minute silence.  Its strange (and sad) that poppies have become the be all and end all of Armistice Day.

On the football side, easy Spain win.

Are we wearing poppies or not then?  Such a grand gesture from players who probably will be thinking of everything but those who have suffered during war, during the minute silence.  Its strange (and sad) that poppies have become the be all and end all of Armistice Day.

Was not I alone then in thinking Fifa had a point, if poppy is on shirt players have to wear them, it's a totally empty gesture if there's no player choice on it anyway.

Was not I alone then in thinking Fifa had a point, if poppy is on shirt players have to wear them, it's a totally empty gesture if there's no player choice on it anyway.

Exactly, although I don't think that was FIFA's reasoning though.

Hart

Johnson  Jagielka  Lescott  Cole

Lampard  Parker  Jones

Walcott                            Milner

Bent

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Exactly, although I don't think that was FIFA's reasoning though.

Their reasoning was that if we get to wear poppies other nations, like ones in the balklands might demand to wear contentious memorials that could stir up trouble. Which isn't unreasonable imo considering that we get to wear armbands, have a minutes silence, lay a poppy on the ground first, have military attending etc etc to have a memorial.

England: Hart; G Johnson, A Cole, Jagielka, Lescott; Jones, Parker, Lampard (capt), Milner, Walcott; Bent.

Spain: Casillas; Arbeloa, Ramos, Pique, Alba; Busquets, Xavi, Xabi; Iniesta, Silva, Villa

Spain must be shitting themselves

Oh dear.....