The England Thread

Pilko

I think I'm the only one that wasn't that impressed by Barkley last night. Runs into trouble far too much for me, doesn't pick his head up enough, hasn't got that great close control for the things he tries. A rough diamond I know but I genuinely don't see what everyone else sees. Has the ability to be a decent top level footballer, bits of his technique like his shot and his strength should carry him through at this level but I just don't think he has the natural ability to be anywhere near world class or for Roy/whoever to build a team around. I hope he does a C Ronaldo and goes overboard in trying to improve every part of his technique and physique, I like him for his endeavour and boldness but for me he hasn't got the guile or diligence to go with it.

I think I'm the only one that wasn't that impressed by Barkley last night. Runs into trouble far too much for me, doesn't pick his head up enough, hasn't got that great close control for the things he tries. A rough diamond I know but I genuinely don't see what everyone else sees. Has the ability to be a decent top level footballer, bits of his technique like his shot and his strength should carry him through at this level but I just don't think he has the natural ability to be anywhere near world class or for Roy/whoever to build a team around. I hope he does a C Ronaldo and goes overboard in trying to improve every part of his technique and physique, I like him for his endeavour and boldness but for me he hasn't got the guile or diligence to go with it.

I don't disagree actually, in the main i was just talking in general sense that he's really good when the game opens up but struggles when it's tight as his decision making isn't the greatest yet. I can see where he can get to and that's the important thing, as of right now he's very rare though.

He lost the ball a few times last night, due to over ambition - trying passes that weren't on, or trying to beat opponents when he should be laying the ball off. At other times though, he opened their defence up with similar moves. His judgement will improve in time.

He's not had a good season, and I'm not sure why. It could be mental - he's made his breakthrough and now things are expected of him. He might be trying to take on too much responsibility and then not coping. It could also be physical exhaustion. The game is faster then ever now, and it's asking a lot of a young player.

What I don't doubt for a second is his talent. He's strong, quick and skilful - no real significant weakness to his game, other than that which you can put down to inexperience. We've got some great young players coming through and he could be the best of the lot.

At least he tries to do stuff though and once he gets going he's very hard to stop. His goal against us last year at SJP was excellent, albeit with shabby defending.

Much rather a player like him  that  tries ambitious/exciting stuff than just passing it sideways or backwards everytime

Guest Gino14

I really like Barkley as a player, because he has a very direct style and real talent on the ball.  It's still early, but I do have a problem seeing him as ever being world class.  When you see a player that can be world class, they do develop and they do improve everything, but there are certain things they always have to their game.  Usually those assets include a very good touch, good close control and the ability to make simple passes consistently with a high completion percentage.

Barkley will often try the wrong pass, which can improve with experience, but he also has the problem that too many of our players are guilty of.  They will somehow make simple five yard passes look difficult.  Often they'll just pass it straight to someone from the other team, or my personal most hated thing in the world, they'll turn what should be a flat pass along the ground into a popped up at waste height pass.  So instead of the player it's going to being able to again move the ball, they need an extra touch to control it, inviting pressure onto them.

So many England players just can't pass quickly and accurately and that's why we always look slow and plodding against the better teams.  Barkley has yet to show me he can be a world class modern footballer, who is able to do that.  We have very few players really capable of that.  When he's really on it, Rooney can, but even he isn't amazing at it.  When you consider even the 50 or so players on the fringes of selection for some Spanish squads just do this easily and without any problems, you really have to question the coaching in this country.  Pass and move should be the above all thing in Football and instead we still have dinosaur coaches picking big lads and having people boot the ball at them, all to win at a junior level that matters to no one and costs us when the players grow up and no longer have any physical advantage.

Also as much as Townsend isn't a great Footballer, we need people who can strike a ball.  That's another thing that gets to me.  So many Footballers who get through on goal and then produce a shot so devoid of power, even a pensioner with a replaced hip would be ashamed of it.  Compare that so someone like Costa, who like Shearer knows how and when to get his foot through the ball and smash it into the net.  The first strong shot directed anywhere but at the keeper yesterday and it was in the net.  The rest of our weakling efforts were either so slow Buffon read a book before they got to him, or they were so poorly directed he couldn't even get out of the way if he wanted to. England and Newcastle as well seem to have abysmal shooting and it'd be enough to make me want them doing shooting practice until their legs fell off.

Fair play to the lad, not many people would give up playing for the national team to play for the under 21's.

Also what the fuck is up with a post season tour? If you're worried about players burning out, don't do a fucking tour at the end of the goddamn season.

That always bugs me, how a club manager can play a lad 50 games in a season, hard training every day etc etc. And then blame 'burnout' on the national team who play 8 games a year and do the odd team jog together before game. Piss off.

That always bugs me, how a club manager can play a lad 50 games in a season, hard training every day etc etc. And then blame 'burnout' on the national team who play 8 games a year and do the odd team jog together before game. p*ss off.

It's not the managers tbf. They would rather go on holiday and focus on next season.

• 1 month later...

Squad for the under 21 European Championship:

The 27-man England squad

Goalkeepers

Marcus Bettinelli (Fulham), Jonathan Bond (Watford), Jack Butland (Stoke City)

Defenders

Calum Chambers (Arsenal), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Luke Garbutt (Everton), Ben Gibson (Middlesbrough), Carl Jenkinson (Arsenal, on loan at West Ham United), Michael Keane (Burnley), Liam Moore (Leicester City), John Stones (Everton), Matt Targett (Southampton)

Midfielders

Tom Carroll (Tottenham Hotspur, on loan at Swansea City), Nathaniel Chalobah (Chelsea), Will Hughes (Derby County), Jake Forster-Caskey (Brighton & Hove Albion), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea), Alex Pritchard (Tottenham Hotspur), Nathan Redmond (Norwich City), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)

Forwards

Benik Afobe (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Patrick Bamford (Chelsea, on loan at Middlesbrough), Saido Berahino (West Bromwich Albion), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Danny Ings (Burnley), Cauley Woodrow (Fulham)

Not many of those central midfielders play in the PL regularly. JWP always plays the furtherest forward of a 3 from what i've seen as a 10 but he looks like he could play deeper.

Think we have to start with 2 out and out strikers. Actually over-flowing with decent options for once. Been impressed in the little i've seen of Afobe. Kane, Berahino & Ings look legit at PL level and higher and Bamford's been on fire.

Always been fairly impressed with Heaton when I've seen him this season. Definitely better than Foster IMO, our depth of keeper is horrific though.

Surprised Young isn't in, has he refused a call-up previously or something?

Who we playing?

The England squad in full:

Goalkeepers: Robert Green (Queens Park Rangers), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Tom Heaton (Burnley)

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Southampton), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Chris Smalling (Manchester United)

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Fabian Delph (Aston Villa), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Ryan Mason (Tottenham Hotspur), James Milner (Manchester City), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Andros Townsend (Tottenham Hotspur), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)

Forwards: Charlie Austin (Queens Park Rangers), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Jamie Vardy (Leicester City), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal).