Why do non-Geordies support Newcastle United?

Guest palnese
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest leon b

Andy cole!

Being a young black boy growing up in London and watching him score goals did it for me! :)

Same colours as my australian rules football team.

Boo, Collingwood! Boooooooooooooooooo!

EDIT: That said, the constant disappointment of supporting the Pies is excellent training to be a Toon fan :razz:

Collingwood have alway's struck me as the Mackems of the AFL.  It's a shithole and a second rate club with an inferiorty complex to go with it.

EDIT: That said, the constant disappointment of supporting the Pies is excellent training to be a Toon fan :razz:

Collingwood have alway's struck me as the Mackems of the AFL.  It's a shithole and a second rate club with an inferiorty complex to go with it.

:clap:

Not to mention an obnoxious fuckwit as chairman and a loathsome coach/manager

The parallels are scary!

Guest Phil K

I decided to support the worst team I saw, so that I could really be invested in their triumphs and struggles.

*ahem*

LOL - and so true ! ;D :iamatwat: :pow:

Guest GlasgowNUFC

Lived in the North East for 3 years when I was aged 11-14 from 1983-85. My Dad who is Scottish took me to see Sunderland a couple of times as they were in the old first division. I remember one of them was a real drab affair against Norwich at Roker. Then one day he asked me if I wanted to go and watch Newcastle. I reluctantly agreed and the game in question finished Newcastle 5 Man City 0. Beardsley scored a hat trick and Waddle and Keegan also scored, the atmosphere was electric , the crowd going mental and I was totally hooked.

The Sunderland scarf and programme were binned that very evening and a demand made to my Father that every Newcastle home game from now on be attended. A great season as well with us getting prormoted.

Moved back to Scotland in 1985 and still support Newcastle to this day as does my son.         

Lived in the North East for 3 years when I was aged 11-14 from 1983-85. My Dad who is Scottish took me to see Sunderland a couple of times as they were in the old first division. I remember one of them was a real drab affair against Norwich at Roker. Then one day he asked me if I wanted to go and watch Newcastle. I reluctantly agreed and the game in question finished Newcastle 5 Man City 0. Beardsley scored a hat trick and Waddle and Keegan also scored, the atmosphere was electric , the crowd going mental and I was totally hooked.

The Sunderland scarf and programme were binned that very evening and a demand made to my Father that every Newcastle home game from now on be attended. A great season as well with us getting prormoted.

Moved back to Scotland in 1985 and still support Newcastle to this day as does my son.         

great one for your first match, we were on fire that day- 5-0 and man city keeper had a blinder. could been double figures.

• 4 months later...

:clap:

Not to mention an obnoxious fuckwit as chairman and a loathsome coach/manager

The parallels are scary!

It seems to have worked out okay in the end, though.

Personally I consider the Aints to be more like the mackems...

• 2 years later...

Originally from Middle East (Gulf to be precise) - was 15 years old, at the time not exactly somewhere full of anything besides Top 4 supporters (United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal) at the time (and Spurs/City were crap) and my P.E teacher in Middle School was a Geordie, I guess I picked it up from there. I guess after seeing ''Goal'' not so long after as well I wanted to investigate.

Started following Newcastle but after switching schools that year (to a one with loads more football fans / top 4 glory w*****s). Still stuck with the club. Not very long after read and watched all the history (well recent history, 80s, 90s) and was well informed.

First match was during my final year of high school, during summer, flew to catch our home game against Reading (championship) and Sheffield Wed (Amoebi 1 - 0 at home) ; absolutely loved it. So much that I flew in again during Xmas to catch the Boro and Derby home games.

Decided to get my university education here, now I am a student doing the course I like and also supporting my club. By now I've gained a huge love to the North in particular and consider it home away from home.

.... 7 years later we're still s****. But I never regret what I think was meant to be. (Ending up following this club, I can relate to it after all.)

Born in India, moved to England in 98 when I was 7. My dad worked at the RVI. I remember it was cup final day that year and everyone was wearing black and white. I'd only been in the country for a couple of weeks so I didn't have a clue what was going on but that was my first experience of NUFC.

We moved to South Shields soon after but we left the North East in 2000 so I haven't been able to watch as many games at SJP as I'd like to unfortunately.

People should be grateful that non-Geordies DO support NUFC ; it was easy to see why they did in the 90s because we were a high-profile club playing great football, challenging for Europe and making a world record signing of one of the world's best CFs. We sold over 500,000 pounds worth of shirts overseas IN A WEEK before the 95/96 season started and even before the shirt had been released in the UK - can't see that happening today and half a mill was worth something in those days.

Usually people start following a club because they were taken to a great game like the Man C one back in 83 where we won 5-0 and it sticks in their memory.

Funnily enough, the first one I saw was a defeat..! I should have been warned......

St-Etienne for me. Lived there for 5 months and was brilliant. Very much like Newcastle in that everyone in the city is behind the team, shop windows with green & white tassles, flags, etc. in them, old women wearing the club's scarves in the street... They always got around 30,000 crowds which was pretty much a sell-out every week, even though they weren't the best team about, whether they were playing Marseille or Metz. Loved the experience, and the one match I went to, even though the game was as dull as dish water, had the best experience I've witnessed with the non-stop singing, both kops trying to outdo each other with the banners. Every player had their own chant as well and was treat like a hero.

The highlight was after the final whistle one of the subs did a lap of honour and got an ovation from all four stands similar to Shearer after the Celtic testimonial but couldn't work out over the tannoy who it was. Looked in the paper the next day and it was Patrice Carteron that scored against us in the Andy O'Brien derby. :lol:

Still look out for their scores.

I'm honestly not quite sure what started it. My brother and I were always big football fans, so we wanted a (premier league) team to support. I know we have an English (and Scottish) background on both sides of our family and can trace the family roots back to the North East (though I think we discovered this after we picked Newcastle iirc).. Also being from the North East of the US as well, maybe we thought it would be fitting to support Newcastle as they were the only North East club (Sunderland weren't in the premier league then and we didn't fully understand the concept of promotion and relegation at the time, thank God.) Never thought it would end up like this though.

It's funny trying to explain to American friends why I support Newcastle. I answer like it is most obvious thing in the world, why wouldn't you support Newcastle? It seems so natural now being this invested in the club, but I'm still not sure why I signed up for this. Now even my parents watch the games when we aren't home, and complain about Shola as if they were talking about some scrub on the Celtics. Hope I can finally make it over there this year, to make my 'fan' experience complete. 

re amir 9's post about developing a feel for the area, has this happened to anyone else, has the interest in the football team lead to an interest for the wider area and what way ?

Very much so, and I've never even lived there. There's something special about the North-East. You've got the friendliest people I've ever encountered.Newcastle's size is perfect, imo. You don't get that metropolitan feeling of it, yet it's full of life and it's got everything you need and want from a city. The area around it is lush as well. Going out to the coast reminds me very much of home.

My mum, lass and sister were all in area for the first time this May, and they all loved it. They've all been to different parts of England before, but never up in the North-East, and they really thought it was something different to earlier experiences.

My sister even bought home a book about the areas history, and has been talking about going to Uni up there.

My story is a bit weird.....

I was 4 years old and liked the badge :lol: think it was a disappointment for my dad as he was trying to get me to support Spurs.  ;D

Been absolutely NUFC mad ever since, obviously i never realised where it was at the time :lol: but didn't stop me going to games over the years despite the length of the trip.... until Ashley that is.

Got into football during the 95/96 season and really liked Newcastle because of the way they played and how exciting they were to watch. However wasn't overly into football until Euro 96, where I just idolised Shearer. Then of course he joined us, so it was natural for me to follow Newcastle. Dad figured it'd be a phase and took me to my first Millwall match when I was 8 to see if I would enjoy it :lol:.

The next year we went to Wimbledon v Newcastle and seeing Shearer score was just so great. Been hooked ever since.

Regarding having an affinity with the area, that's certainly been the case. Didn't get up to Newcastle to see a game until 2007, but since then I try and come back at least once a year and I just love the area. Honestly considering moving up there, would love a change in scenery.