Why do non-Geordies support Newcastle United?

Guest palnese
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest bimpy474

Watched the 1974 cup final and that was that. Been Newcastle United mental ever since.

:lol: I don't understand. We got humped. Mostly by KK.

Good thread though. :)

My Mum reckoned that it was the black and white, i was 3 and half and didn't stop talking about it. Everything i wanted to wear had to be black and white from then on. I dont remember where i didn't think Newcastle United all the tme.

Footballs not in my family and I never grew up with it but I sat and watched Euro '96 with mates when I was 18 and immediately said I'm supporting whoever that guy plays for, I was a Blackburn supporter for about two weeks! Once Shearer moved there was no turning back, I've been passionately hooked ever since!

I'm another one who can claim Goal as a big reason. I played football my whole life, but never really watched outside of the 02 World Cup. Champions League was the only thing accessible when I started to take interest, then the 2006 World Cup came and I was fully committed. By April of the season after I realized I could probably watch league games for free on the internet, so spent the rest of that season watching games, trying to find appealing teams. Decided to spend about a month over that summer researching clubs then fully committing to one. Think I always knew it was going to be Newcastle, I had watched Goal months before and really enjoyed SJP, the one club city, stripes, etc. I wanted a club that was not Big 4, but also ambitious (:yao:) enough, or at least have the potential to be bigger. Think it came down to us, Villa and Arsenal, but I always knew in the back of my mind I was going to pick Newcastle.

Still haven't gotten over there, should've done study abroad but no time ever felt right, and now I'm in my last semester. Hopefully money from graduation gifts will get me over there in the spring.

re amir 9's post about developing a feel for the area, has this happened to anyone else, has the interest in the football team lead to an interest for the wider area and what way ?

I can only speak for myself as I am immersed in the culture here, one reason being the football of course. But to answer your question - I guess it varies from person to person.

You know now that I think of it, its an appreciation of British culture as a whole however an extra soft spot for the North which is where I live.

Watched the 1974 cup final and that was that. Been Newcastle United mental ever since.

:lol: I don't understand. We got humped. Mostly by KK.

Good thread though. :)

My Mum reckoned that it was the black and white, i was 3 and half and didn't stop talking about it. Everything i wanted to wear had to be black and white from then on. I dont remember where i didn't think Newcastle United all the tme.

Ah, OK, I have irrational feelings for St Mirren, Juve, Udinese, Beşiktaş, anyone who plays in black and white stripes basically. Grimsby and Notts. County :lol:

It kind of helps to be a rose among the thorns and follow a team like Newcastle in an area like mine littered with gloryhunters. When you meet football fans expecting you to answer Man U or Arsenal when asked what team you support, it feels great to be able to stick my neck out and say Newcastle. It gives them a notion that you seem to be more "in the know" as you have an unusual taste in clubs. Always have to concede the banter though due to NUFC's typical mediocrity. For that, I wish we could have an 11/12 season more often. It felt f***ing brilliant to have one year of being the noisy one among the ManU and Chelsea fans, especially after we beat them. :love:

I haven't met a natural Geordie yet, though I've seen a British looking man walking round a mall in our Championship banana kit. Shame I wasn't wearing my toon kit that day, would've sparked an interesting conversation.

Still haven't been to Mecca Newcastle, though hopefully when I graduate I'd be granted my wish. Heard my university has some links to a number of schools in the UK so maybe I could jump if the chance presents itself. (As if I'm a top student though :yao:)

I grew up in a posh bit of North Yorkshire (even went to private school, yes I know, bunch of posh w*****s, one person from around my time there is now a Tory MP  :undecided:) and no-one in family, or even any of my friends growing up ever liked football, we were all too middle class. I even remember my mum sneering at someone trying to hitch a ride that she'd never pick him up purely it seemed to be cos he was wearing a footy strip. The sport that was liked was always tennis, everything else was ignored.

I went to university in newcastle back in 2005 and moved in after a year with an everton fan and lived with him for 2 years. From watching Everton on tv with him (think it was europa league) i started getting nerdily interested in football but was pretty neutral for a while (though I have inherited a lot of fondness for Everton from him and also probably his intense pessimism)

I naturally gravited to newcastle I guess living there (and loving the place hugely) and mainly probably i guess falling for a newcastle fan hugely helped a lot, so started going watching games with him all the time, so guess that was when I became a fan technically. It was our relegation season  :lol: , should have gone with everton :p

I always feel like a little bit of a late comer, I never had the growing up around football that most people I know did, and my knowledge while very nerdy now (football and music consumes most my time now) as soon as you go back a few years my knowledge starts to show me up and I feel quite insecure so i tend to avoid those convos on here.

I just had a glance through this thread today and I'm surprised that the vote options doesn't include the passion for football in the city. Football matters here and that's always been the case far more than most other cities in England. I would think that outsiders would pick upon that too.

Shearer is the main reason. Grew up in California, went to England right as he was transferring to newcastle. Idolized him. Have tons of friends who jumped on Man U, Chelsea, arsenal, bandwagons. Might sound strange but I feel sorry for them, yeah they've seen success, but seems hollow, unearned. I've been to St. James once and it was amazing. 2008 won 3-0. Maybe I'm a romantic or just an idiot but when I finally get to see us lift a trophy it'll be worth 100 times what it would if I would've taken the easy road and followed Man U or Chelsea.

Picked them on an Amiga game, I think it was Sensible soccer, I`m not sure. Was back in 91. Before that when I was at school I used to support players more than teams, sounds ridiculous now.

Randomly some years later when my mum was researching the family tree, we had family up there in the 1800`s or something.

Moved to the NE when I was 10 to Cleadon, which was pretty much all mackem and went to school in Seaham that was all mackem. There were 4 of us who followed the Mags, maybe to be different,who knows at that age. I remember we all got a weeks suspension for going to the first and second replays against Forest during the cup run.

Guest chicken little

cos my dad didn't give us much of a choice. started off going to the odd local (Manchester and thereabouts) around 1990, then got season tickets a couple of years later.

once copped a load of shite off a superfan about my accent (or lack off) until I pointed out we were doing a five hour round trip every other week.

Guest bimpy474

I've said this before, but you're all insane. Batshit mental. It's like offering to trial some incurable lifelong disease.

Is it wrong i'm infesting my two sons with the same mentalness :lol: