Tim Krul (now playing for Luton Town)

Wallace

Can people seriously keep on saying harper is guaranteed number one?

I think it's a fairly close decision. Krul is still in his infancy as a goalkeeper (in relative terms) and he has problems commanding his area, with decision-making and instilling the back four with confidence - but he did improve last season and there's no reason to think he won't continue to do so next season.

Conversely, you'd probably find Steve Harper's mug next to the world "solid" in a dictionary - but his shot-stopped ability generally leaves a lot to be desired by comparison.

Their kicking and general distribution can both be a bit wayward at times but Krul looks markedly more tentative.

That said, I'd wager that Krul will save more points(/goals) through his superior shot-stopping than Harper will off-set with his better solid goalkeeping even if it does make it a nervier ride for the fans! Also, he'll improve quicker in the first team and is a better investment for the future of the club so I'd lean towards Krul for next season.

[/admittedly haven't seen Foster enough to make a judgement on how he fits into the above]

He tried to play from the back against City on boxing day, he tried it noticeably less after that.

Harper's kicking used to be great, when Robson would rotate Harper and Given it was one of the main "Pros" for Harper. Now it's pretty poor.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

He tried to play from the back against City on boxing day, he tried it noticeably less after that.

Harper's kicking used to be great, when Robson would rotate Harper and Given it was one of the main "Pros" for Harper. Now it's pretty poor.

His kicking did spiral, but it's not quite as bad as some make out imo.

Robson didn't rotate them. Harper was his first choice till he got injured, then it stayed with Given - minus the odd cup game.

2nd choice keeper for the 2nd best international team in the world, but not good enough for us? Jesus. Will the Harper love-in die already, he's been here so long so that means he 'deserves' to be no.1 tripe does my head in. Put Harper no.2, sell/loan Forster. Done and done move on.

I've heard that Harper has been carrying an injury for years which has badly affected his kicking.

I've heard that Harper has been carrying an injury for years which has badly affected his kicking.

Something definitely has. I'd go as far to say it's the worst part of his game nowadays.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

His knees have been dodgy for years.

I remember our keeper crisis under Roeder (funnily enough, when Krul got his first game) and in the subsequent games, Harper played despite being obviously knacked and Damage Ramage had to take our goal kicks.

The shouting/bending over thing he does has always been unnerving...