Tim Krul (now playing for Luton Town)

Wallace

Hope Pardew won't make the mistake of giving Harper the Nr. 1 shirt next season. I don't really care if it's Krul or Forster (I would prefer Krul) but giving it to Harper again would be a mistake.

We have to look into the future and Krul/Forster are the future.

Krul said: "I'm 23 and I want to play a whole season.

"That's what I'll tell manager Alan Pardew. Otherwise it makes no sense to stay."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3603349/Tim-Kruls-ultimatum-to-Newcastle.html#ixzz1NYxeU1Sm

Two subtly different sets of quotes from Magpies 'keeper Tim Krul surfaced on Wednesday, after the player spoke to reporters while linking up with Dutch senior squad.

From the Dutch media, Wednesday (translated):

Tim Krul refuses to return to Newcastle as the second choice goalkeeper. Last season he played 25 matches for the Premier League club and wants more.

"I am 23 years and now just want to play a whole season. I will tell the trainer when I return the club."

"Initially I replaced goalkeeper (Steve) Harper, but was on the bench when Alan Pardew took over from Chris Hughton. Harper then got injured again and I played a series of good games to the end of the season when the manager trusted me as the first-choice goalkeeper.

"Something like that has to happen in the new season, otherwise it makes no sense to stay at Newcastle."

Tim Krul quotes, North East England media:

"I’ve been lucky enough to play a few games this season. The national manager said when he named the last squad that I’m on their radar, but I wasn’t playing at the time. It’s different now, and it’ll be fantastic to be involved.”

"I think (Alan Pardew) will want me to go away and enjoy myself (playing international football) – the experience will be amazing.

"Then I’ll fight pre-season – it’s one big fight, and I’ve got to make sure I’m fit. I’ve played 25 games this season, and that’s more than I expected. I’m more than happy with that.

"It’s been a great season. There’s been ups and downs, but we should take the positives and build on everything we’ve done.”

I always feel more confident with Krul in goal than Harper.

Not always. Krul tends to have an error rather than Harper. On the other side, Krul tends to have the odd world class save in him that Harper won't have.

Krul is a better shotstopper, but is young and will need to learn. Don't know if he's completely ready yet.

He isn't. We should take the risk, though. Give him the Nr. 1 for next season and we'll be better off long term.

Krul's biggest problem seems to be his decision making and I think a lot of that is down to the pressure he puts on himself to make a good impression when he gets his chance, it's something you would hope he will improve on when he gets more settled into the first team.

I think it's great that he comes for most things though and will be a huge help for the back four, Shay Given was a great goalkeeper for us but it used to annoy me how he didn't come for hardly any balls that were floated over and instead left all of the responsibility to the defenders, when the opposition inevitably scored from some of these high balls into the box the blame was instantly put on the defenders while Given stayed rooted to his line.

For that reason I can live with him making the odd fuck up on the way.

Guest hoopet

Krul's biggest problem seems to be his decision making and I think a lot of that is down to the pressure he puts on himself to make a good impression when he gets his chance, it's something you would hope he will improve on when he gets more settled into the first team.

I think it's great that he comes for most things though and will be a huge help for the back four, Shay Given was a great goalkeeper for us but it used to annoy me how he didn't come for hardly any balls that were floated over and instead left all of the responsibility to the defenders, when the opposition inevitably scored from some of these high balls into the box the blame was instantly put on the defenders while Given stayed rooted to his line.

For that reason I can live with him making the odd f*** up on the way.

He was a shot stopper as your second point proves and Harper is even worse

I'm in agreement with this. His major gaffes this season have been when he's tried to claim high crosses. He could play safe like Given and Harper and just be a shot stopper but a keeper who is trying to do the difficult stuff deserves the benefit of the doubt.

:thup:

Krul all day every day.  His game can be improved. 

Nothing will prevent another Sturridge-esque goal from squeaking past Harper at half the speed of smell while he struggles to get to ground. 

Krul all day every day.  His game can be improved. 

Nothing will prevent another Sturridge-esque goal from squeaking past Harper at half the speed of smell while he struggles to get to ground. 

The speed of smell?

Good stuff. Hope he does well, is it a slightly weakened squad?

Not necessarily, but a lot of senior players have cancelled after a long season, especially in the goalkeeper department, where first to third choice have all not travelled. It is a strange time to organise a friendly tour to the other side of the world...

It is a strange time to organise a friendly tour to the other side of the world...

England toured there at this time of year in 1984 as a prelude to the Mexico world cup 2 years later.

The next world cup is in Brazil so it's a chance for them to tour over there and see the lay of the land well in advance.

It is a strange time to organise a friendly tour to the other side of the world...

England toured there at this time of year in 1984 as a prelude to the Mexico world cup 2 years later.

The next world cup is in Brazil so it's a chance for them to tour over there and see the lay of the land well in advance.

Ah, leaving nothing to chance and making sure we win the bloody cup this time around.. I like it!