Sir Bobby Robson (1933–2009)

Guest Stephen927

Guest Loven11

NEWCASTLE will honour Sir Bobby Robson with a statue of their former boss outside St James' Park.

The bronze sculpture will be unveiled before the clash with Manchester City on Sunday May 6.

Sir Bobby's widow, Lady Elsie Robson, and her family will be in attendance.

Lady Elsie said: "It's very fitting that there will be a tribute to Bob outside Newcastle United's ground. This is where his love of football began.

"As a boy he'd come here with his dad and he likely queued to get into the ground where the statue will be sited.

"My husband's career took him all over the world but he was always a Newcastle fan at heart. He loved this Club and was very proud to be its manager.

"I think the statue design is wonderful and I'm very grateful to Newcastle United for funding it."

The statue, sculpted by Tom Maley, has been commissioned by the club to celebrate the former England manager's five-year reign.

The Magpies finished fourth, third and fifth in successive seasons and reach the second group stage of the Champions League and the semi-finals of the UEFA Cup during that period.

Newcastle's managing director Derek Llambias said: "We're delighted to be able to honour Sir Bobby Robson with this lasting tribute.

"He was a great man and ambassador for this football club and for the city.

"He achieved great success during his time as manager of Newcastle United and this statue is a fitting way for the club to remember him."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4280303/Sir-Bobby-Robson-statue-to-be-unveiled-by-Newcastle-at-St-James-Park.html

Imagine if we get to play Barcelona or one of his other former clubs next year in Europe and they all stand around getting pictures, putting scarves on him. It will fill me with pride.

That would be utterly fantastic, lets hope it happens  :indi:

Been reflecting on how well we've been playing recently and Sir Bobby has crossed my mind more than once.

He really would have loved how this side are progressing.

Can't wait to get over and see the statue for myself.

Nice gesture and a fitting tribute to a great footballing man.

Been reflecting on how well we've been playing recently and Sir Bobby has crossed my mind more than once.

He really would have loved how this side are progressing.

Can't wait to get over and see the statue for myself.

Nice gesture and a fitting tribute to a great footballing man.

One thing that really annoyed me when he died was he shit state the club was in, really felt sorry that that was his final view on us. Glad his last memories was the send off game though....'how did gazza play?'  :'(

Can't believe he left this world with Newcastle United in such turmoil.

We owe to him to put it all right and re-build this club to the levels that he took us to.

There's only one Bobby Robson...

Jonny Hall knew! So sad reading the first few pages again :(

Guest Roger Kint

Bored at work again, just reading this:

http://www.nufc.com/html/bobby-quotes.html

13) "Look at those olive trees. They're two hundred years old - from

before the time of Christ!" - Sir Bobby illustrates how great life is in

Barcelona.

:lol:

The Andy O'Brien bit on his DVD where he shouts 'you dont get this in Harrogate Andy' while pointing to the cathedral :lol:

ended up watching videos of his management tonight, what a man,  wish he could of been here to of seen this team, the likes of Cisse and Ben Arfa would of been right up his street, I grew up with Sir Bobby, he may of just been a football manager to many, but to people my age he was a hero, a father, a legend, I am what I am today partially because of him.

nobody can underestimate the influence he has had on the region and I hope I can come up with something worthy of his cause, that raises money for his charity,

if anybody has any idea on how to raise money for his charity feel free to message me and I’ll certainly consider it, going to raise money the best way I can for his charity this summer. 

19) "I'd say he's the best in Europe, if you put me on the fence"  :lol:

What a man, I'd love him to have seen Cisse's second on wednesday, and hear him describe it.

One thing I distinctly remember from his time here as manager is that if you were in the pub watching the match there would always be absolute silence for his pre and post match interviews, everyone just loved and respected him so much that you wanted to hear what he thought. And of course there was always the chance he would come out with something hilarious!

Guest Roger Kint

Freddie Shepherd and Andrew Robson on Talksport at 11.30 today about the statue.

Think Rob Lee is on today as well iirc

Edit: Andrew is on now not half 11

Guest Roger Kint

Anyone got any details about the unveiling? Or is it just a case of getting there for about 10.30? It is open to the public innit?

According to twitter its up now, theres a photo as well. No idea about the actual unveiling though