Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/black-white/barton_can_give_united_six_of_the_best_pardew_1_3178061

Pardew, however, conceded Barton was “upset” in last month’s defeat at Fulham, though he wouldn’t reveal why.

The fixture came just two days after Andy Carroll was sold to Liverpool, a decision which hit the dressing room hard given the striker’s importance to the team.

“He carries his heart on his sleeve a little bit still, and there have been games we’ve played when I can think he’s been upset,” said Pardew.

“When he’s upset, it can affect him. At Fulham he was upset about something – and I won’t go into reasons why – and he didn’t play well.

“His set-plays were off that day, but he needs to be in a good place to play well.”

Pardew: Barton can fulfil dreams at United

ALAN PARDEW feels Joey Barton can fulfil all of his career aspirations at St James’ Park.

Pardew believes Barton has turned his life around with Newcastle United – and the Toon boss has indicated he is keen for Scouse ace to play out his peak years at St James’ Park.

Barton – whose contract talks have been put on hold until the end of the season – admitted recently he was more interested in reading books on “falconry and fishing” than nightlife exploits – and even said he was considering taking up gardening.

Pardew is hoping Barton is back from a thigh problem for the crunch clash with Stoke City on Saturday at the Britannia Stadium.

He feels the midfielder has won back a lot of respect and turned into one of life’s examples after bouncing back from dark times to become one of form players in the Premier League.

Barton has fought off his demons since a stint in jail in 2008 which he served for an assault charge on Merseyside four years ago.

The ex-Manchester City player has also rebuilt his United career since a major fall-out with Alan Shearer two years ago and has battled back from a foot injury which decimated his season in the Championship.

Barton has been badly missed in the last two matches and, with the Magpies in need of a spark to re-ignite their season, the Toon Army will be praying he is back for dogfight with Stoke as United look to close in on top-flight safety.

United fans would also love to see Barton sign a new deal with the black-and-whites.

Pardew told the Chronicle: “I’ve had a great relationship here with Joey.

“He’s got four or five years, maybe six, still left at the very top.

“And if he stays in the space he’s in now, he will have a successful period.

“I think I understand him and, in my own way, I’ve tried to assist him and in the process he’s delivering.”

The current campaign is Barton’s first injury-free season, up until his thigh problem, since he joined in 2007.

Pardew added: “Make no doubt about it, he’s had help from Sporting Chance and his mentors, as well as Chris Hughton and me.

“But it’s all about Joey – and he has to be able to see it through.

“He doesn’t drink alcohol now and that is a wise decision given the character that he is, and you have to pay credit to him for that."

Barton’s only real slip-up this season was a clash with Morten Gamst Pedersen during the defeat against Blackburn Rovers last year.

The Merseysider quickly apologised for his actions and offered to take the Norwegian out to dinner to make amends.

Pardew reflected: “Joey is not a normal footballer, he is quite eccentric.

“His eccentricity extends to his game too and he does things on a football pitch that are eccentric at times.

“That’s what makes him the player that he is.

“He has been consistent on the pitch because he’s been consistent off it with his behaviour.

“And Joey’s behaviour is a reflection of where he is at.”

Pardew doesn’t want to take away his battling spirit and added: “He carries his heart on his sleeve a little bit still and there have been games we’ve played when I can see he’s been upset.

“When he’s upset it can affect him. At Fulham he was upset about something – and I won’t go into reasons why – and he didn’t play well.

“Nobody understands it better than himself, and no one has worked harder at it than him.

“You have to pay him full tribute for that.

“From where he was not that long ago it is a tremendous feat.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/03/14/pardew-barton-can-fulfil-dreams-at-united-72703-28331208/

Guest toonlass

I would be happy with Barton staying here for another 4 years. Really think the lad has tried hard to sort his act out.

I have a feeling Barton might have been upset about Nolans comments about Carroll going to Lpool in that Fulham game.

Wouldn't blame him either.

I am a Barton fan, he's intelligent, articulate and I believe he's the best player in our squad  - but if you have a contract until 2012 for (allegedly) 50 or 60 grand a week its not ok to stick your lip out. Whatever happens he's paid a shed load to do a job and he should get on with it.  And you can factor in the fact that, in the past, he's shat on the club that paid him that money. Not that any sermon of mine will make any f*cking difference to him mind.

Anyone else wondering how he will react to Pardew's comments? Not that we'll find out like.

More shit from the manager in the press, why doesn't he just shut his mouth and talk to the players instead of the press? 

When Pardew took over, he said that he wanted to communicate with the fans, but that all has to be balanced with respect for other people's privacy. I think he went too far in his comment about Joey's performance against Fulham. If you can't say why Joey was 'upset', then it's not worth mentioning it at all.

When Pardew took over, he said that he wanted to communicate with the fans, but that all has to be balanced with respect for other people's privacy. I think he went too far in his comment about Joey's performance against Fulham. If you can't say why Joey was 'upset', then it's not worth mentioning it at all.

I don't want to hear about any of the players, it's up to him and the other staff to deal with these things in-house, not in the press.  I agree about players privacy, it's not on what he's saying in public and he would be in trouble if he worked in any other sector than football.

Guest Stephen927

It's been long enough now, it wasn't worth commenting on. It may be that he's having problems with Joey Barton's attitude now, the contract has remained unsigned. Could be a way of letting the fans know that he isn't a saint now.  :dontknow:

Guest bmoregeordie

This is a negotiating tactic. And since none of us are talking to Joey Barton, we're not in a position to know whether it's a smart one or not. Clearly, there has been some hold-up on him signing the contract.

Pardew feels pressure from us and ownership, and is resorting to the press. Barton made a lot of noise over the last year or so about how he loved playing here so much - yadda, yadda, yadda - and I think this is Pardew's way of letting us know that it ain't that simple.

Not sure if it will help him in the end or not, but some of those quotes are gems.

I don't think Barton's been quite the same player since the Carroll sale. There's not been any dramatic loss of form, he's just not quite at his best. If a player's commitment becomes a bit uncertain, unless they're quite a strong character, it can affect their focus.

I don't think Barton's been quite the same player since the Carroll sale. There's not been any dramatic loss of form, he's just not quite at his best. If a player's commitment becomes a bit uncertain, unless they're quite a strong character, it can affect their focus.

I think he was brilliant against Arsenal for example.

The same goes for Enrique.

Guest icemanblue

Does it fuck, man. It doesn't even apply to Barton! :lol:

Does it fuck, man. It doesn't even apply to Barton! :lol:

Of course it does.

Does it f***, man. It doesn't even apply to Barton! :lol:

Of course it does.

Barton's played what, 4 games since Carroll's departure?

Fulham - was poor

Arsenal - was terrific

Blackburn - played well

Birmingham - was terrific

Conclusion = you're both daft.

Does it f***, man. It doesn't even apply to Barton! :lol:

Of course it does.

Barton's played what, 4 games since Carroll's departure?

Fulham - was poor

Arsenal - was terrific

Blackburn - played well

Birmingham - was terrific

Conclusion = you're both daft.

:lol:  :thup: