Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

All 4 of them wanted to leave though, there's nothing we could do about it.

Just because they want to leave doesn't force you into saying yes though. Money from the sale isn't always the best option, as we'll probably find out.

All 4 of them wanted to leave though, there's nothing we could do about it.

Just because they want to leave doesn't force you into saying yes though. Money from the sale isn't always the best option, as we'll probably find out.

Besides, Ashley probably forced them to hand in a transfer request anyway.

Too many people now think management is like a computer game - "Barton's leaving, ah he's only a 8, we'll just buy a 9". It's not that simple.

Especially when we wait until August 31st then desperately sign a 6.

I've said this before but Ferguson's success at Man Utd has never been based on simply buying good players, it is on keeping good players, occasionally adding to them and then keeping those good players too. The turnover of players there is incredibly low and that's not just because players don't want to leave, it's that he sees the value of keeping a team together even when some of those players are inferior to ones he could easily go and shell out a fortune on.

This bit is especially right. By good luck we finally had a great (and large) nucleus at this club. It's not nearly so great now and it soon won't exist.

from The Fiver yesterday:

"In a move straight from Contract Negotiations 101, Joey Barton's Mr 15% claims the midfielder will leave the club on a free next summer because Newcastle won't give him a new deal."

pretty much sums it up form me

All depends on what the deal being offered is really.

I'd like to keep Barton, always gives 100% and can play out wide or in the middle. Probably the best crosser of a ball we have too.

But on the other hand he's been anything but consistent since he signed for us, between his form and injury issues last year was the first good year he's had really. If he's after a 3 or 4 year deal with big money and we give it to him and he either starts playing shite again or starts missing time through injury will he really be worth it? He's also been pretty terrible when played centrally for the most part, you could argue that he should only play out wide from here on if last season is anything to go by.

If I were certain the wages saved would all be put towards new signings then I'd probably be fine with seeing him go. Therein lies the problem.

There's also the age factor as at 29(?) he might only have 2 or 3 years left as a premier midfielder. Personally I like him but he's not worth breaking the bank for and I'm not sure if other clubs would pay him £60k pw even if he was a free transfer. I think a deal will be done at some stage.

29 year old on a high value 4 year deal, i don't think so.  Im sure a deal will be done at some point, I can't see other clubs matching his wage and come next year if he has a shitter then he will be in a even worse position. 

I hope he realises that he wont get a chance to play on a bigger stage at this point of his career, he moves are going to be the likes of Blackburn/Stoke/Bolton/Villa and a like, all teams of similar stature to us but with a lower fan base.

Overall i'd like to keep him but i wouldn't want to offer him anything over 3 years and certainly not on his reported coin he gets now.  This whole saga is classic agent spew, the fucking dregs of the industry looking for a 15% cut for spunking players at other clubs.

'Club source' aka Derek in the Express: "We offered Joey a new contract in January which was turned down. That's his right, but we will not be offering him another deal and we are happy to go into the final year of his contract next season.".

Guest toonlass

'Club source' aka Derek in the Express: "We offered Joey a new contract in January which was turned down. That's his right, but we will not be offering him another deal and we are happy to go into the final year of his contract next season.".

Article also says he's felt to be a bad influence in the dressing room and they're holding the door open for him to leave.

:facepalm:

Jeez, this fucking club!

Guest icemanblue

Fuck me sideways, man. Yet people will still jump to defend these cretins.

Is there a speed dial-like reply function on this board I haven´t found yet? :lol:

Meaning?

Pretty much what we knew already.

Article also says he's felt to be a bad influence in the dressing room and they're holding the door open for him to leave.

News, but given Joey's recent bizarre and egotistical pronouncements, I wouldn't be completely surprised. He talks like he's running the club.

Guest toonlass

I've just realized, didn't the club make a statement when we were promoted that they wouldn't be talking to the media at all anymore? :lol:

They don't. They go under the guise of "club source". Everyone knows it's Llambias.

The simple fact of the matter is that we can't keep letting good first team players leave. How many is this that this mob have overseen leaving now, assuming he goes?

Carroll goes, "he's not irreplaceable", Enrique might be away, "he's not irreplaceable", now Barton and people are saying the same, wake up ffs. You can't have success or even progress with such a high turnover of players and it's not easy to find players as good as these... that's why they cost so much money. Sounds simple but plenty of people don't seem to get it judging by the posts on here.

I've said this before but Ferguson's success at Man Utd has never been based on simply buying good players, it is on keeping good players, occasionally adding to them and then keeping those good players too. The turnover of players there is incredibly low and that's not just because players don't want to leave, it's that he sees the value of keeping a team together even when some of those players are inferior to ones he could easily go and shell out a fortune on.

There's not a good player has left recently that hasn't been called a c*** upon leaving. When will the penny drop that maybe the club and those running it is the common factor? :lol: We should be doing everything we can to keep these players that make up the core of our team. Even if Barton was going to be replaced, then he becomes a quality squad player over time. Right now, we buy a top class wide player and it's still Ryan Taylor or Guthrie waiting in reserve when he gets injured/suspended/is s***

Progress under this lot? Keep dreaming. Pig sick of it, it's f***ing ridiculous.

Nail on head.

Is there a speed dial-like reply function on this board I haven´t found yet? :lol:

Meaning?

Each time something "negative" comes out, these kind of posts pops up every time like clockwork.

It´s a huge made up stereotype/generalization, as I don´t think anyone likes the people in charge. There are people who like to point out things they think Ashley & co does right though, or explain why they do certain things and how that could be good for the club, to counter the endless abuse going on here. Rightly so. Does not mean they jump to defend them. So many people bash anything they do already, so I personally don´t see any point in doing it as well. I do think a lot of the things they do are wrong and stupid, but I like to balance things out and instead voice my opinion when I think they are doing something that is good to the club to get a better discussion going.

Just seems like when someone points out that the thing people are criticizing the board for(what ever it may be, as everything is always Ashley/Derek/the boards fault) is not actually all that bad, it´s like they have insulted them in some way, and are promptly labelled as an Ashley lover etc.

With that being said, I do hope that those quotes are just a way to counter the recent quotes from McKay. Barton could still be a good player at 32 as long as he doesn´t suffer any serious injuries, and he should be in the top earning bracket in the club. He should not earn more than the wage structure/limit permits though.

Guest icemanblue

Meaning?

Each time something "negative" comes out, these kind of posts pops up every time like clockwork.

It´s a huge made up stereotype/generalization, as I don´t think anyone likes the people in charge. There are people who like to point out things they think Ashley & co does right though, or explain why they do certain things and how that could be good for the club, to counter the endless abuse going on here. Rightly so. Does not mean they jump to defend them. So many people bash anything they do already, so I personally don´t see any point in doing it as well. I do think a lot of the things they do are wrong and stupid, but I like to balance things out and instead voice my opinion when I think they are doing something that is good to the club to get a better discussion going.

Just seems like when someone points out that the thing people are criticizing the board for(what ever it may be, as everything is always Ashley/Derek/the boards fault) is not actually all that bad, it´s like they have insulted them in some way, and are promptly labelled as an Ashley lover etc.

With that being said, I do hope that those quotes are just a way to counter the recent quotes from McKay. Barton could still be a good player at 32 as long as he doesn´t suffer any serious injuries, and he should be in the top earning bracket in the club. He should not earn more than the wage structure/limit permits though.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying there. However, there are some posters who will leap to the defence of Ashley/Llambias regardless of the facts presented to them.